Peephole version of Welcome Camera

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
ubik

Peephole version of Welcome Camera

Post by ubik » 21 Dec 2017, 10:53

Hi,
I would like to share an idea with welcome...
What about creating a front door peephole version of the Welcome camera?
The face recognition feature would be very useful to know who is in front of your door.
There are many peephole cameras available, but very few of them are connected and none has face recognition.
I would buy such a device if it existed...

RedwoodTT

Re: Peephole version of Welcome Camera

Post by RedwoodTT » 21 Dec 2017, 13:55

Great idee!

fritz_ht

Post by fritz_ht » 21 Dec 2017, 14:30

Welcome Camera is usefull with know people and non so good with strangers,
You are going to get a lot of notification of unknow person because they are simply walking outside your door.
What's the point in that?
Also People outside your door are likely in shadow having the light behind, so not so good for recognition not to mention the size of the peephole to hold all the needed electronics

ubik

Post by ubik » 22 Dec 2017, 14:55

fritz_ht wrote:Welcome Camera is usefull with know people and non so good with strangers,
You are going to get a lot of notification of unknow person because they are simply walking outside your door.
What's the point in that?
Also People outside your door are likely in shadow having the light behind, so not so good for recognition not to mention the size of the peephole to hold all the needed electronics

It depends on the setting of your house.
My front door is behind a private gate so if a stranger does walk in front of my door I would certainly like to be informed.
I understand that a different setting may require some different settings, but I am confident that smart algorithms can be developed in order to filter out a person that just passes by from another that stays for several seconds in front of your door.
It could also integrate a vibration sensor (similar to the netatmo tags) that allows to understand if someone is trying to open your door and send you an alert in case his face is not recognized.
In brief I am not suggesting to take the Welcome camera, give it a different shape and attach it to the door...
Obviously many HW and SW adjustments should be addressed. I just mean that I like the idea behind the Welcome camera and I would like to have the possibility of applying the same kind of "intelligence" to monitor what happens just behind my door.
Moreover your arguments also apply to the Presence camera...
About the size of the peephole... I am not suggesting to embed everything inside the little hole. I am perfectly aware that you cannot fit all the electronics inside it. If you take a look at already existing electronic peepholes you can notice that only the camera fits inside the hole, while the rest of the electronics is attached to the internal part of the door.

fritz_ht

Post by fritz_ht » 08 Jan 2018, 10:09

ubik wrote:My front door is behind a private gate so if a stranger does walk in front of my door I would certainly like to be informed.
I understand that a different setting may require some different settings, but I am confident that smart algorithms can be developed in order to filter out a person that just passes by from another that stays for several seconds in front of your door.
It could also integrate a vibration sensor (similar to the netatmo tags) that allows to understand if someone is trying to open your door and send you an alert in case his face is not recognized.
In brief I am not suggesting to take the Welcome camera, give it a different shape and attach it to the door...
Obviously many HW and SW adjustments should be addressed. I just mean that I like the idea behind the Welcome camera and I would like to have the possibility of applying the same kind of "intelligence" to monitor what happens just behind my door.
Moreover your arguments also apply to the Presence camera...
Ok, you are talking about a complete new device, but the Presence could not already do what you need? In my opinion the peephole has a very little angle of view to be usefull, I think the Presence could be a better solution.

ubik

Post by ubik » 09 Jan 2018, 10:13

fritz_ht wrote: Ok, you are talking about a complete new device, but the Presence could not already do what you need? In my opinion the peephole has a very little angle of view to be usefull, I think the Presence could be a better solution.
In many aspect you are right, but what I would like about the peephole version is that it would be more concealed and less prone to being noticed and deactivated before opening the door.

Return to “General questions”