Backlighting and sending footage to external sites

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
umlmaster

Backlighting and sending footage to external sites

Post by umlmaster » 30 Jan 2018, 00:32

Hi,

I’m very close to buy a Netatmo Welcome, but first I want to ask you a couple of questions to be sure it’s a good idea:

1) My flat’s entrance is very dark (no windows), and obviously when you come in from outside, it produces a backlight effect. How does Netatmo Welcome work on this situación ? I mean, detecting faces over this conditions
2) I want to send the footage to an private FTP server on Internet, because If somebody wants to steal on my flat and he take the device ... How faster is the Welcome ? I have minimum 10MB WiFi connection, but I want to know how fast the Welcome is sending the videos (time to process the footage, to close the archive & send to external site)
3) Finally, can I set a limit on my FTP or Dropbox account to auto erase the videos (like the internal SD do)

Regards,

Carles

cjr

Re: Backlighting and sending footage to external sites

Post by cjr » 03 Feb 2018, 13:58

I can say the upload to Dropbox is very quick. I don't think the Welcome does much processing as the uploaded file is a *.ts file. It plays fine on my iPhone 7.

You can choose what resolution to upload, which should increase upload speed if that's a concern: 1080p / 720p / Medium / Low. I have mine configured to upload 1080p.

There's no control over how many files are kept on Dropbox. I've only had my Welcome for a morning so I can't say how many it will keep.

Do you really want to ftp the videos over the Internet? Sending your password over the internet in the clear is horribly insecure. Authenticating to Dropbox is much safer.

umlmaster

Post by umlmaster » 03 Feb 2018, 16:26

Thanks for you answer !

I want to use an FTP account because I don't want to take care of Dropbox's account (my private FTP is unlimited and I don't want to pay the premium Dropbox's account).

Changing the subject, do you have any experience with the backlight ?

Regards,

Carles

cjr

Post by cjr » 03 Feb 2018, 19:02

Hi Carles,

Do you mean the camera's "IR Night vision" mode? I have left it set to Auto, other settings are Always on and Always off. I noticed it was on when it was a little dark this morning, and the video quality seemed OK and it still recognised faces.

I haven't tried to see what it does when the background suddenly changes from dark to light.

umlmaster

Post by umlmaster » 03 Feb 2018, 19:29

Thanks again for you kick answer !

What I’m trying to explain (so sorry for my English) is when I enter at home, there are always more light outside than inside, and the Netatmo Welcome will have to detect faces always in this conditions. Check the attached image to this post, I hope it’ll help me to explain what I’m trying to tell you (I hope so :lol:):

With no light I suppose Welcome will work great (night mode), but when there are backlight situations, I don’t know if it’ll be work fine !

Regards,

Carles
Attachments
8CD44652-CEF7-4952-A9C5-55C2E6A61B26.jpeg
Backlight situation

cjr

Post by cjr » 03 Feb 2018, 20:32

Yes, I understand your question. Unfortunately I don't have the answer.

Maybe you can buy the Welcome camera, try it out and return it if it doesn't work?

umlmaster

Post by umlmaster » 03 Feb 2018, 20:57

Yes, it's what I have in mind, but I haven't done because I think Welcome needs 2 or 3 weeks to be properly configured ... maybe more time than I have to return the product.

Carles

Return to “General questions”