Stop recognising faces on TV

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Post Reply
cjr
Posts: 18
Joined: 03 Feb 2018, 11:57
Location: London, UK

Stop recognising faces on TV

Post by cjr » 05 Feb 2018, 14:40

My new Welcome is very good at recognising everyone in my family, and getting better over time.

However it is also very good at recognising faces on the TV! Apparently Paul McCartney came into my house yesterday... :shock:

Is there any way to filter out TV faces - they all look oddly backlit, so perhaps identifiable algorithmically - or do I have to relocate the camera to try to avoid the TV screen? What do other people do?

bzn
Posts: 28
Joined: 27 Jan 2015, 16:45

Re: Stop recognising faces on TV

Post by bzn » 15 Feb 2018, 23:03

I think it must be blind mask in welcome settings to exclude TV area.
Or other algorithmic approach like flickering or backlight detection.

But quick solution for now just place camera in other point.

mzbow
Posts: 8
Joined: 08 Aug 2017, 10:46

Re: Stop recognising faces on TV

Post by mzbow » 15 Feb 2018, 23:19

Yes the easiest solution is to aim it away from your TV.

A harder to solve problem is the camera recognising faces on clothing such as band t-shirts. Let's just say you're not the only person to receive a surprise home visit from Paul McCartney... :lol:

bzn
Posts: 28
Joined: 27 Jan 2015, 16:45

Re: Stop recognising faces on TV

Post by bzn » 16 Feb 2018, 00:07

Depth IR scanning is a perfect solution. But this is other hardware story.

cjr
Posts: 18
Joined: 03 Feb 2018, 11:57
Location: London, UK

Re: Stop recognising faces on TV

Post by cjr » 16 Feb 2018, 20:35

bzn wrote:I think it must be blind mask in welcome settings to exclude TV area.
Or other algorithmic approach like flickering or backlight detection.
I don't think Welcome has that option? Only the Presence camera does, as I understand it.
bzn wrote:But quick solution for now just place camera in other point.
This is what we did, and there are no more false positives from the TV.

bzn
Posts: 28
Joined: 27 Jan 2015, 16:45

Re: Stop recognising faces on TV

Post by bzn » 16 Feb 2018, 23:48

cjr wrote:
bzn wrote:I think it must be blind mask in welcome settings to exclude TV area.
Or other algorithmic approach like flickering or backlight detection.
I don't think Welcome has that option? Only the Presence camera does, as I understand it.
bzn wrote:But quick solution for now just place camera in other point.
This is what we did, and there are no more false positives from the TV.
As far as I know you are correct, Welcome has no mask option.
My point was like a suggestion to Netatmo SW developers.

cjr
Posts: 18
Joined: 03 Feb 2018, 11:57
Location: London, UK

Re: Stop recognising faces on TV

Post by cjr » 17 Feb 2018, 06:59

bzn wrote:As far as I know you are correct, Welcome has no mask option.
My point was like a suggestion to Netatmo SW developers.
Ah, in which case I agree. Masking out an area might be useful.

rbarsa
Posts: 4
Joined: 05 Mar 2018, 13:21

Re: Stop recognising faces on TV

Post by rbarsa » 05 Mar 2018, 22:57

I am having the same issue, as my camera face the TV and do not have an option to place it elsewhere .
Masking option would be appreciated. Thanks

Raimund
Posts: 1
Joined: 06 Mar 2018, 12:47

Re: Stop recognising faces on TV

Post by Raimund » 06 Mar 2018, 12:58

I have the same issue with the TV.
But i cant really change the position from the cam.

camillo777
Posts: 54
Joined: 14 Nov 2016, 12:31

Re: Stop recognising faces on TV

Post by camillo777 » 07 Mar 2018, 14:27

Every camera today have a masking feature.

Post Reply

Return to “General questions”