Strange issue with v199 firmware?

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
emel

Strange issue with v199 firmware?

Post by emel »

Hello,

I have had a Welcome (as well as two Presence's) for over a year now. I think it's a great device. However, after the latest firmware upgrade (v199), I've noticed it's behaving differently which I'm finding to be very detrimental to my usage of it. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

Until this week, whenever my Welcome recognized myself, it marked me as 'Home' until I left, or rather until my phone left the vicinity of my house. I had the same settings for my wife too. This worked great, and allowed me to set a short time for my 'Known people' setting. I would say that if people were not seen for an hour, you could consider them away. Therefore, my kids (who don't have phones) would be 'away' if they were not seen for an hour, but my wife and I would only be 'away' when we left the house. This is good, as we rarely have to use the 'Tell welcome everybody has left the house' option, which is clunky at best.

However, since the v199 upgrade, the behavior of the device has changed. Now, whenever we are detected, we are subject to the same one hour limit, and marked as away, even if we (or our phones) don't leave the area. This is awful, as we are constantly getting notifications and saving videos every time we walk past the camera. First thing in the morning is ridiculous as if it doesn't detect us properly, we get streams of 'movement detected' notifications.

So, has anyone else noticed this? In my opinion, this change in behavior is terrible, and unless it is a genuine bug that will be fixed soon, I am considering getting rid of my Welcome. It is now more annoying than useful. I'd even consider rolling back to revert to how it worked before.

ML
bzn

Re: Strange issue with v199 firmware?

Post by bzn »

Got the same glitch twice since I have Welcome cam (v199) (I am new for it so have no experience for previous firmware versions).
I hope Settings -> Manage my home -> Location can help (even you are sure location is set correctly), and Edit profiles or User icon -> Edit -> Switch off / ON "This is me" just to remind app it should use geofencing and user presence based on his phone location (yes yes I know how it sounds silly to remind something for computers ;) ).
jofre_netatmo

Post by jofre_netatmo »

It looks like you disabled the option 'This is me' in your profile settings, which enables geolocation services to tell Welcome when you are away from home. Can you please disable and reenable it on your phone and your wife's? I look forward to reading your feedback.
Jofre - Netatmo Team
emel

Post by emel »

Thanks for the replies.

The issue has now resolved itself, I don't want to jump to conclusions and say I know how I did it, but I can describe the timeline of events..

Initially, when I noticed I was having this issue, I rebooted the device, and also did what bzn suggested - I switched "This is me" off and on - I figured this was a glitch with the geofencing and hoped this would reset it. However, I still had the issue afterwards, and it was still marking me as away after the 1 hour (user-defined) timeout.

As I was getting frustrated with the number of notifications I was receiving, I manually marked myself as "is home?" to try and stop them for a while. To my great surprise, I was not marked as away after the hour had passed - there was clearly a difference in system behavior when manually stating I was home, rather than let the Welcome identify me. When I left the next morning, the Welcome notified that I had left, this was the first time I'd received this notification after the upgrade (not sure if this is important or not). When I got home, the Welcome identified me, and..... I did not time out after the hour! Ever since, I've had the same behavior as before, and I don't want to throw the Welcome out the window anymore. I guess whatever I did reset some variable somewhere and normal service has been resumed. I also did the same with my wife's phone and she has no issue anymore either .

If anyone else has this issue, it may be worth trying. Although, you can probably get the same results from trying every option randomly until it starts working properly again!

Thanks! ML
jofre_netatmo

Post by jofre_netatmo »

Thanks for your message, we'll look into it.
Jofre - Netatmo Team
simonjedrake

Post by simonjedrake »

emel wrote:Thanks for the replies.

The issue has now resolved itself, I don't want to jump to conclusions and say I know how I did it, but I can describe the timeline of events..

Initially, when I noticed I was having this issue, I rebooted the device, and also did what bzn suggested - I switched "This is me" off and on - I figured this was a glitch with the geofencing and hoped this would reset it. However, I still had the issue afterwards, and it was still marking me as away after the 1 hour (user-defined) timeout.

As I was getting frustrated with the number of notifications I was receiving, I manually marked myself as "is home?" to try and stop them for a while. To my great surprise, I was not marked as away after the hour had passed - there was clearly a difference in system behavior when manually stating I was home, rather than let the Welcome identify me. When I left the next morning, the Welcome notified that I had left, this was the first time I'd received this notification after the upgrade (not sure if this is important or not). When I got home, the Welcome identified me, and..... I did not time out after the hour! Ever since, I've had the same behavior as before, and I don't want to throw the Welcome out the window anymore. I guess whatever I did reset some variable somewhere and normal service has been resumed. I also did the same with my wife's phone and she has no issue anymore either .

If anyone else has this issue, it may be worth trying. Although, you can probably get the same results from trying every option randomly until it starts working properly again!

Thanks! ML
Very strange as I had been experiencing the same issues as above and have been going through every option possible, the above solution will hopefully prevent me from throwing the kit away....
emel

Post by emel »

Hello,

I wanted to return to this subject, as the issue has occurred again! This time, I was more thorough in identifying the cause and the fix.

So, this issue is caused when I am way from my home for a period of time of several days. I've had this issue 3 times now, and in all cases, I was away on vacation for 5-10 days before. When I get home, the Welcome keeps timing me out as originally described essentially ignoring my geolocation. I actually cannot say it is tied to a particular version of the firmware, it's just it first happened to me after an upgrade, so I conflated this.

I have successfully identified the fix. Switching on/off the "this is me" feature on my profile does not work. Also, whether the Welcome recognizes me or I manually state I am home makes no difference. Instead what I needed to do was 1) mark myself as home (is home?) just before I 2) leave the house. This way, when the geofencing feature notices that I am no longer around, it correctly states I have left. After that everything works as before, it's almost like a flag on my profile has been correctly reset and I have no further problems. Easy!

Hopefully this information will be helpful to others who have this problem.

ML

Return to “General questions”