Does Geofencing work reliably for anyone

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
tony_P

Does Geofencing work reliably for anyone

Post by tony_P »

For almost a year now Geofencing has only worked very occasionally. Almost never recognises that I have left home, so have to tell Welcome manually. Tried all the usual power off and on, and resetting my location in the app. Occasionally it will work once after that before failing again. Worked fine when I first had it, but numerous updates of Android, the app, and firmware since then.

It must know I have switched Geofencing on, as it doesn't declare me away if it doesn't see me for 4 hours.
When I set my location in the app, I can't find any indicator to tell me that I have done this successfully, and my address does not appear in the location screen when I open the app again. Is this normal?

Does anyone with android actually have reliable Geofencing, or is this a widespread problem?

Apart from this problem Welcome (and Presence) is brilliant.

Thanks

Tony

Galaxy S7
Welcome Firmware 199
Android app v 2.2.4.10
Android 8.0.0
jaspers

Re: Does Geofencing work reliably for anyone

Post by jaspers »

No that doesn't sound normal. I have Geofencing working on my iPhone, and even my girlfriends iPhone.
Do you have any power saving settings on your phone? Do you have a second mobile phone to test if it's a Welcome bug or mobile related bug?
tony_P

Post by tony_P »

Thanks Jaspers. I have now excluded the app from power saving, but this has not helped. I'll see if I can get someone to let me install the app on their phone. Would be a good test. I've seen anecdotal evidence that the iPhone app is fine, and that this problem is only with Android, so I'd be interested to hear from Android users who have no problem.
tony_P

Post by tony_P »

Good News! I now have Android app version 2.3.2.0. After using it for a week, I can report that at last Geofencing works. The notes in the Play Store say that this app includes an update to Geofencing to make it fully compatible with the latest Android versions, and improve performance with older Android versions. Seems they are right!
b3astie

Post by b3astie »

Still it does not work, and even worse the checkbox trick does not work either after latest update. Using android.
financnik

Post by financnik »

The update brought up another problem with battery usage. They added some geo-fencing test background service that keeps a huge wakelock consuming nearly 20% of battery charge. This isn't the good way of fixing functions. Please Netatmo, fix it some other way.

guns in transformers 3

Return to “General questions”