Welcome Tags - pair to a different Welcome camera

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
tls075

Welcome Tags - pair to a different Welcome camera

Post by tls075 » 02 Jan 2019, 04:22

I have a Welcome Tag that was paired to one Welcome Camera, and I am trying to pair it to a different Welcome Camera. It's not working for me. I can only re-pair the tag to the original camera. It will not pair to the new camera.

(I want to put the tag on my mailbox, and the reception was never quite good enough to reach from the first camera. The new camera is much closer to the mailbox.)

I successfully removed the tag from its original camera on the iOS app (Settings -> My products -> [select the tag] -> Remove the Tag from the camera). However I am struggling to pair it to the new camera:

I disconnected the original camera from its power supply, to make sure it's not interfering in any way.
I disconnected the new camera from its power supply, and plugged it back in, to make sure it was reset. I waited until it had restarted to the point I could view live video of myself.

Settings -> Install new products -> Tags.

I turned the Welcome camera upside down as instructed. The app says to wait until I see a light glowing, and shows a picture of a slowly blinking blue light. Immediately after turning the Welcome camera upside down, I see a slowly blinking green light. (I've tried waiting a few minutes, but it never turns from green to blue.)

I put the tag a few centimetres from the camera, and insert the batteries. The light at the top of the tag slowly blinks yellow/green 5 times, then shuts itself off. The Welcome camera keeps blinking green for minutes. I come back at the 5 minute mark and it's still blinking, and the app is still waiting for the pairing to happen. At the 20 minute mark, the camera has given up blinking, and the app is still waiting. :(

I switched off the new Welcome camera and tried to pair with the original Welcome camera instead. In that case, pairing worked perfectly, without delay. The tag slowly blinks yellow/green 5 times, then the camera immediately starts blinking blue, and the whole process finishes in a few seconds. The app congratulates itself on pairing successfully.

It seems that the tag is overly-attached to the Welcome camera it was originally paired to, and won't pair to any other. How can I make it break up with its original Camera properly, so I can pair it with another one?

tls075

Re: Welcome Tags - pair to a different Welcome camera

Post by tls075 » 02 Jan 2019, 09:16

Note, my original Welcome camera is on v252 of the firmware, and has two other tags paired with it.

The new Welcome camera I'm trying to pair with is on v250 of the firmware, and has never had any tag paired with it.

All three tags are on v50 of their firmware.
Smart Indoor Camera v252 / Tags v50 2018-12-18 -ONLY FOR USERS WITH TAGS-:
- Tags: v50 new radio protocol, improved connectivity with the camera.
Note: This version is only going to be sent to Cameras with Tags as it only changes the way the Camera and the Tags communicate. For the rest, it is exactly like v250.
Maybe I need Netatmo support to push out v252 to the new camera? I've just contacted them via the web form.

tls075

Post by tls075 » 03 Jan 2019, 01:56

My new camera updated itself to v252 overnight at 04:43am, and I have now successfully paired the tag with it.

I didn't receive a response from Netatmo on the forum or via email. So I'm not sure whether the process to push out v252 was automated, or whether someone at Netatmo pushed a button for me but hasn't had time to reply.

Hopefully this thread helps someone else. Though new tags seem to be unobtainable at the moment. I do hope they make a comeback -- I use one on my front door, to help me catch couriers who think they're ninjas, and that's worked very well. I wish there was an option to register open/closed based on contact with a magnet, I have one on a sliding door and I can't get it to correctly register the state of the door, no matter how I calibrate it. Also, there is so much tension in the battery compartment that it can be difficult to replace the batteries without stripping the tiny white plastic lock mechanism inside the battery cover.

Armel_Netatmo

Post by Armel_Netatmo » 03 Jan 2019, 10:41

Hello @tls075,

Sorry for the lack of response.

You guessed right:
Maybe I need Netatmo support to push out v252 to the new camera?
The Welcome v252 is not public yet, and we added your second camera to that version to support the tag v50 (internal release), so indeed, someone pushed a button for you and didn't had time (or forgot) to reply.

Armel

Return to “General questions”