Night vision doesn't work

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
ChuckstarUK

Re: Night vision doesn't work

Post by ChuckstarUK »

One of my cameras has now developed this exact same fault. I have raised a support ticket but still waiting on a reply. I suspect this camera is out of warranty so if there is not a software/firmware fix then no doubt I will be out of luck for a unit swap out. But extremely annoying and apparently a common fault; likely this is an inherent design flaw, which really should have been resolved long before now as these cameras have been available for many years. :(
Horst

Post by Horst »

The simple answer to this issue is:
The IR-LEDs for Night Vision has reached the end of lifetime after some years. (Failing starts with intermittent fails and finally complete outage)

As there are no markings on the chips its hard to find them in the web.
It’s a special square type SMD high power IR LED Type 7060. Seems to be some Chinese Company’s offer these type in different versions 1W / 2W / 3W also in 850nm or 950nm wave length. I gave 850nm and 3W option a choice and found an reseller on ebay who was selling some and not thousand as minimum purchasing quantitiy.(as most Chinese suppliers do)

Long story short:
Desoldert the old one (it’s glued with thermal compound).
Soldier the new one in (also used new thermo compound under the chip.)
It works now again like a charme.

For testing I used a second Welcome beside.
Brightness is same like original, measured working temperature with IR-Thermometer same like original (~40°C).

Here is the link to the IR SMD chips that I bought:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/5pcs-6070-SMD-3 ... 890.l49292
MrZdexter

Post by MrZdexter »

The camera has been in operation for several years. It was turned off for about a month. It does not work after switching on. The camera "clicks" after switching to night mode, but the image is black. Day mode works fine.
Firmware 456.
NathObeaN

Post by NathObeaN »

I started having this issue today. Camera is a couple of years old. The sensor started randomly turning on and off and night. It ended up tricking itself into thinking there was motion and set the alarm off at 1am. Not pleased. I have contacted support.
mattdb

Post by mattdb »

Have this issue too with one of my Welcome’s. Company likely to give a Gallic shrug. It’s a pity because I had assumed this was a premier company selling premium products.
Mir88d

Post by Mir88d »

Horst wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 22:55 The simple answer to this issue is:
The IR-LEDs for Night Vision has reached the end of lifetime after some years. (Failing starts with intermittent fails and finally complete outage)

As there are no markings on the chips its hard to find them in the web.
It’s a special square type SMD high power IR LED Type 7060. Seems to be some Chinese Company’s offer these type in different versions 1W / 2W / 3W also in 850nm or 950nm wave length. I gave 850nm and 3W option a choice and found an reseller on ebay who was selling some and not thousand as minimum purchasing quantitiy.(as most Chinese suppliers do)

Long story short:
Desoldert the old one (it’s glued with thermal compound).
Soldier the new one in (also used new thermo compound under the chip.)
It works now again like a charme.

For testing I used a second Welcome beside.
Brightness is same like original, measured working temperature with IR-Thermometer same like original (~40°C).

Here is the link to the IR SMD chips that I bought:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/5pcs-6070-SMD-3 ... 890.l49292
What thermal compound do you use?
Do I need hot air station? What temperature should I use for soldering?
Horst

Post by Horst »

I used “Arctic Silver Céramique 2” as thermal compound.

Desoldering:
First I disassambled the little led sub-board to have batter access. (3 little solder points)
Desoldering temperature doesn‘t matter. Because of the old thermal compound the old LED will ether be destroyed.

Soldiering:
Temperature as low and as short as possible. Think it was around 230 °C and max 3 seconds.
(I have to search for the datasheet of the led).

Tools:
For all that I used only a tiny soldering iron (TS100) and no hot air station.
fritz_ht

Post by fritz_ht »

I'm having the same issue with my Welcome camera, noted only because I've found someone complaining on Facebook about his night vision not working. Tested last night and seem to me that does not switch at all in night mode, I've listened to the internal mike and I can't hear the click of switching to night vision. There is some issue with recent firmware (I have firmware 475)? Or is a hardware issue? The camera is in use since 2017
fritz_ht

Post by fritz_ht »

fritz_ht wrote: 10 May 2021, 11:00 I'm having the same issue with my Welcome camera, noted only because I've found someone complaining on Facebook about his night vision not working. Tested last night and seem to me that does not switch at all in night mode, I've listened to the internal mike and I can't hear the click of switching to night vision. There is some issue with recent firmware (I have firmware 475)? Or is a hardware issue? The camera is in use since 2017
Update, night vision appear to work (turning it on always I can see the B/N image during day time) but not the IR led, so I think it's a hardware issue. I'm thinking to add an external IR light, could this work?
Mir88d

Post by Mir88d »

Horst wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 00:08 I used “Arctic Silver Céramique 2” as thermal compound.

Desoldering:
First I disassambled the little led sub-board to have batter access. (3 little solder points)
Desoldering temperature doesn‘t matter. Because of the old thermal compound the old LED will ether be destroyed.

Soldiering:
Temperature as low and as short as possible. Think it was around 230 °C and max 3 seconds.
(I have to search for the datasheet of the led).

Tools:
For all that I used only a tiny soldering iron (TS100) and no hot air station.
Thank you very very much!
I fixed the camera thanks to your instructions.

Return to “General questions”