Camera data usage?

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Boswell

Camera data usage?

Post by Boswell » 17 Dec 2015, 19:15

I am about to purchase the camera module, but I'd appreciate an answer to the following question:

For various reasons, I need to use the main Netatmo station, and camera module, at a location where I have to use a WiFi Hotspot (TP-Link 3G Mobile WiFi M5350).

Is it possible to adjust the camera to only give me occasional views?

In fact, I only need a few seconds every 30mins.

Is that possible? I need to keep the cost of the 3G data connection to an absolute minimum.

Thank you.

Boswell

Re: Camera data usage?

Post by Boswell » 21 Dec 2015, 14:53

OK, putting it another way:

If the camera image is reasonably static, with negligible movement, is the only data usage when Netatmo is being interrogated/viewed by someone?

CopyCat73

Post by CopyCat73 » 21 Dec 2015, 16:00

The only thing these camera's upload is a snapshot per event. The actual recording is on the sd card in the camera itself. When you start playing the event it is streamed to your device. From the api information I gather that there is some logic going on to see if your phone/pc and the camera are on the same local network, then the stream is local.

Boswell

Post by Boswell » 21 Dec 2015, 18:42

Thanks, CopyCat, that's really useful.

Am I correct in thinking that the camera only goes live when there's an event?

And an 'event' is when there's movement?

I had a rather optimistic use for the Welcome, at an airstrip, to see whether nearby hills were covered in cloud/fog or not. But I guess from what you say that's just not what it's designed for. (My intention was to enclose it in a waterproof enclosure). The attraction of the Welcome was that it could be easily interrogated from a Smartphone.

CopyCat73

Post by CopyCat73 » 21 Dec 2015, 21:13

These things are not really suitable as weather cams. The events are based on face recognition and/or motion, you can get cheaper camera's to look at the sky :) For that I'd get a raspberry pi2 + cam and look at one of the outdoor projects to build one that is low on data use.
Not sure you have the right idea about "live" and "event".. An event is recorded when the camera sees movement or a face, a snapshot is uploaded to the cloud as a sort of index pic. When you go into the app or webinterface you can look at specific events (i.e. play the captured video), or retrieve them through the api. The camera starts live streaming when you press play in the app/webpage.

Boswell

Post by Boswell » 30 Dec 2015, 18:33

I'm looking at Raspberry Pi, though they look very much for 'techies'. Not sure if one can get custom projects built.

My interest in Netatmo's cam is that it seemed a simple link to an iPhone, and as mine has just arrived, I'm going to find out over the next week whether I can 'convert' it to do what I need. I'm probably going to have problems using it with a WiFi Hot Spot though, though mine isn't going to be used by anyone else (TP-Link).

Return to “General questions”