Poll for asking Netatmo to get user approval to upgrade fw

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions

Do you want to manage the fw upgrade process?

Yes, let me decide
56%
No, let Netatmo do everything automatically
44%

Total votes: 27

ubik

Poll for asking Netatmo to get user approval to upgrade fw

Post by ubik » 01 Feb 2017, 11:35

As you all already know the firmware update process of the Netatmo products is remotely managed by them and they don't even ask the user an approval to install the new firmware and reboot the camera, or at least if the user wants to delay the update.
I would like to use this forum as a poll to let them know how many users want that they change this policy and give the user the right to decide what to do with their device.
Those who agree please drop a line and choose one of the two poll options.
Thanks in advance for joining this poll
Last edited by ubik on 16 Feb 2017, 09:32, edited 2 times in total.

ldplusse

Re: Poll for asking Netatmo to get user approval to upgrade

Post by ldplusse » 01 Feb 2017, 19:59

Yes give the user at least 2 options.
1) download the update, but let me choose when to install it.
2) update the camera whenever there is a new fw.

ubik

Post by ubik » 09 Feb 2017, 12:13

I'm rather surprised about the poll results and the the last day trend change, is anyone willing to drop a line explaining their motivations?
I would also like to know if netatmo people took part in this poll because it would obviously bias the result....
Is it possible to check? Can someone from Netatmo tell something about it?

Xena

Post by Xena » 12 Feb 2017, 16:48

Let me decide please

ubik

Post by ubik » 13 Feb 2017, 12:27

Thank Xena for the feedback.
I see that few people voted compared to the number of readers.
The vote can be expressed by selecting one of the radio buttons at the top of this thread, and then confirming by "Submit vote".

Barney

Post by Barney » 15 Feb 2017, 20:54

I would rather just more transparency and better details about the firmware updates, and explaining what it is doing.

ubik

Post by ubik » 16 Feb 2017, 10:20

Barney wrote:I would rather just more transparency and better details about the firmware updates, and explaining what it is doing.
OK, I agree with that, but it is not alternative to the way the firmware is delivered to the unit.
Moreover the details about what's new are completely useless if you cannot decide whether to install it or not.
Why do you want to know details about the new firmware? Just for curiosity? I cannot understand why someone would not like to be exposed to technical aspects like firmware update, but at the same time wants to know the tecnical details of the new firmware.
Let's suppose (and hope) you are on vacation at the Hawaii and a new firmware is released which claims to improve a feature you are not using (e.g. Dropbox interaction), you may not want to risk that a collateral bug in the new firmware breaks your home surveillance untill you are back home. I would rather prefer to continue my vacation and apply the update when I am home and I can reboot or manage possible problems connected with the update.

Anyway I understand that many people do not want to be bored by "technical" aspects and think that the Welcome camera is so smart that it will work without any minimal effort from the user. That would be great, but despite what any manufacturer claims I think that it is currently only a dream.

Johan_Netatmo

Post by Johan_Netatmo » 22 Feb 2017, 10:26

Barney wrote:I would rather just more transparency and better details about the firmware updates, and explaining what it is doing.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4705

Padster

Post by Padster » 22 Feb 2017, 10:32

Johan_Netatmo wrote:
To be fair Johan - Netatmo is not the best at updating that thread. It can be months after the fw upgrade sometimes. Other times we have to ask for it to be updated.

ubik

Post by ubik » 23 Feb 2017, 16:45

Padster wrote:
Johan_Netatmo wrote:
To be fair Johan - Netatmo is not the best at updating that thread. It can be months after the fw upgrade sometimes. Other times we have to ask for it to be updated.
Other times the info is simply missing

Return to “General questions”