Wind gauge Data

This forum provides technical help on how to run Netatmo Weather Stations to accurately gather data.
JPH

Wind gauge Data

Post by JPH »

Hi there,

I got the new wind gauge. Tonight it's really windy the airport which is within 10km radius from my home, reports wind 15kt (gusts 39kt). But my wind gauge shows only 3.8 (gusts 12.4).
All other Netatmo Wind Gauges in my area, show very low values as well. To me it seems that they are not really well calibrated.

How are your wind gauges doing so far?
SvS

Re: Wind gauge Data

Post by SvS »

The quality of the data measured depends on where the wind gauge is mounted. For commercial stations the wind speed is measured on free areas (the distance to any obstacles must be 10x their height) in heights of 10-12 meters. If the wind gauge is mounted on a roof the distance to the roof top should be at least 3 meters. For the majority of Netatmo users it should be nearly impossible to find such a location for their wind gauges.
JPH

Post by JPH »

I totally agree.

But the wind data seems to be really low! My wind gauge is mounted on top of my garage and well clear of any obstacles to each side...

It feels really windy at the wind gauge, but it only shows 3-9kts....
SvS

Post by SvS »

The position I had to mount the gauge is far from being optimal but it reports wind speeds around 9 km/h (gusts 34 km/h), the nearby weather station reports 17 km/h (gusts 42 km/h). Given the wind gauges position and sample rate the data it delivers looks reasonable.
RobNor

Post by RobNor »

SvS wrote:The position I had to mount the gauge is far from being optimal but it reports wind speeds around 9 km/h (gusts 34 km/h), the nearby weather station reports 17 km/h (gusts 42 km/h). Given the wind gauges position and sample rate the data it delivers looks reasonable.
What is the sample rate of the gauge?
Stoffiss

Post by Stoffiss »

RobNor wrote:
SvS wrote:The position I had to mount the gauge is far from being optimal but it reports wind speeds around 9 km/h (gusts 34 km/h), the nearby weather station reports 17 km/h (gusts 42 km/h). Given the wind gauges position and sample rate the data it delivers looks reasonable.
What is the sample rate of the gauge?
I've just been in contact with Netatmo. According to them the data from the wind gauge is sent every 5 minutes, and therefore a data point is created every 5 minutes (which we already knew). However, during these 5 minutes approximately 50 samples of wind speed, wind direction, wind gusts and direction at maximal wind speed are taken.
My devices
Netatmo Weather Station // Indoor module v119 // Outdoor module v43 // Add. indoor module v43 x2 // Rain gauge v8 // Wind gauge v14
KaiUwe

Post by KaiUwe »

Thats only like 10 samples per minute or one sample every 6 [corrected from 16] seconds or so which is far to seldom to gather "good" data.

The hypersonic measure only takes milliseconds what makes it even harder to measure the gust peaks.

Crank the sample rate up to one sample every 1 - 2,5 seconds and we're better.
JPH

Post by JPH »

My wind gauge died in the rain... I had to send it back! :-(
Scheppi

Post by Scheppi »

Mine died in the rain also, reached out to support to get instructions for replacement, but no reaction for 10 days. So far experience is to never again buy directly from Netatmo but rather use Amazon to be safe with the complaints process. And the wind gauge seems to be far from the quality of the other components
eskil@elexa.se

Post by eskil@elexa.se »

I just installed my new Wind gauge on top of my roof, with free sight.
The measurement seems to be about half of the actual values from the official station close to my house (Lidingö Sweden)
Is there any way to calibrate the unit?

Return to “My Weather Station data”