New Outdoor Weather sensor

Suggestions, features and new ideas
jelockwood

New Outdoor Weather sensor

Post by jelockwood » 13 Nov 2018, 16:00

Currently the Netatmo Weather system consists of the following components - some of which are optional.
  • Indoor (Master) unit
    Outdoor (slave) unit which monitors temperature
    Outdoor rain sensor
    Outdoor wind sensor
As I understand it the rain and wind sensors send their data via the outdoor temperature unit. It is certainly I believe very common for all three to be in close proximity. This creates a problem as detailed below.

The rain and wind sensors need to be due to their purposes in fairly exposed areas, however the temperature sensor should not be in direct sunlight so as to avoid it actually heating up rather than measuring background temperature. In reality based on the often erroneous temperatures reported by various peoples Netatmo weather systems according to the Weather Wunderground site it is clear many people are leaving the outdoor temperature unit in direct sunlight. This has given the Netatmo solution an unfairly bad reputation for poor accuracy.

'Real' weather stations to prevent this have the temperature sensor located inside what is known as a Stevenson Screen - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevenson_screen . This screen prevents direct sunlight causing false temperature readings. The current Netatmo sensor is obviously not protected by a Stevenson Screen hence the problem. It should be noted that even many smart home weather stations also use Stevenson Screens for the same reason.

My request therefore is that either Netatmo come up with an addon which adds a Stevenson Screen to the existing unit whilst maintaining a means of mounting it, or releases a new improved unit which has a built-in Stevenson Screen.

Consideration should also be given to taking the opportunity for including other sensors or improved sensors e.g. humidity, UV, hours of sunlight, etc. etc.

AFToothDoc

Re: New Outdoor Weather sensor

Post by AFToothDoc » 08 Jan 2019, 18:43

Also make it waterproof with improved antennae for longer range.

Vlinderke

Post by Vlinderke » 08 Jan 2019, 19:12

TFA 98.1114.02 Sensor cabin. Generous universal weather cabin. € 18.95. For sale via the internet. Works well with me. And the sensor is protected against direct water!

jelockwood

Post by jelockwood » 08 Jan 2019, 19:43

@Vlinderke

I have seen the TFA 98.1114.02 Sensor cabin and I have also seen the mostly negative reviews for it on Amazon. It does indeed noticeably help but the majority of reports say - not enough.

Hence Netatmo need to either produce a proper solution or a redesigned module. I would certainly be willing to buy a new outdoor module with better performance, although I would expect Netatmo to offer a deal for existing customers.

Return to “Feature requests”