Smart Home Weather Station Shield

Suggestions, features and new ideas
GEORGzer

Smart Home Weather Station Shield

Post by GEORGzer »

I got the new Smart Home Weather Station Shield from Netatmo today.

As always, it comes in a nice package.
IMG_2643.jpeg
IMG_2643.jpeg (117.57 KiB) Viewed 1885 times

Inside the box you'll find:
  • the Shield
  • a card with a QR code that takes you to this interactive manual
  • 2 sets of zip ties (the ends are already loosely inserted to keep them compact for the small box. Better take them out right away so you don't tighten them by accident :P )
  • mounting accessories, considering 2 sets of screws, dowels and 2 covers you'll need when you use the zip ties
IMG_2644.jpeg
IMG_2644.jpeg (170.08 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
IMG_2645.jpeg
IMG_2645.jpeg (90.48 KiB) Viewed 1885 times

Besides the options of mounting the Sensor on a wall or pole, the Shield also lets you attach a screwed-on mount like the Anemometer or Rain Gauge.
IMG_2646.jpeg
IMG_2646.jpeg (100.15 KiB) Viewed 1885 times

I'm going to use this option since my current placement next to the roof isn't ideal.
IMG_2647.jpeg
IMG_2647.jpeg (333.22 KiB) Viewed 1885 times

The Shield comes apart by turning the bottom plate. The bracket is detachable so you can screw it to a wall more easily.
The manual states to keep it on when using a screwed-on mount but I'm going to leave it off for aesthetic reasons ;)
IMG_2648.jpeg
IMG_2648.jpeg (115.5 KiB) Viewed 1885 times

The Sensor fits perfectly, as expected.
IMG_2649.jpeg
IMG_2649.jpeg (118.46 KiB) Viewed 1885 times

I'm not sure if the pins are supposed to slide into the opening of the Sensor, since there are four and my Sensor (V3 Weather Station) only has two openings.
It's probably meant to be this way for ventilation.
IMG_2650.jpeg
IMG_2650.jpeg (184.25 KiB) Viewed 1885 times

After putting everything back together I attached a spare clamp I had lying around for ages. I bought them for my Rain Gauge back when that launched and they only came in pairs, luckily.
IMG_2651.jpeg
IMG_2651.jpeg (112.31 KiB) Viewed 1885 times

At its final new placement, out in the open wild.
I already can tell that the readings are more accurate than when the Sensor was next to the roof.
IMG_2710.jpeg
IMG_2710.jpeg (320.77 KiB) Viewed 1828 times

Overall a very nice new accessory for the Netatmo Smart weather Station.

It's up in the Shop for purchase for 39,99€
https://shop.netatmo.com/en-eu/weather/ ... ri%20météo
Home: Weather Station (V3 + Rain & Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules, Shield), Valves Starter Pack + 7 Valves, Video Doorbell
Office: Thermostat (V2), Healthy Home Coach, Smoke Alarm, 2 2in1 Sensors

Not a Netatmo employee
pasc67

Re: Smart Home Weather Station Shield

Post by pasc67 »

Well, the only problem is that it will give you incorrect measurements if it is installed in direct sunlight (contrary to what Netatmo says) and temperatures will be overestimated by several degrees.
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

Time will tell.
As of now it‘s actually way more accurate than when the sensor was mounted right next to the metal plated roof.

At least the issue with the 100% humidity during rainy days is gone 😋
Home: Weather Station (V3 + Rain & Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules, Shield), Valves Starter Pack + 7 Valves, Video Doorbell

Not a Netatmo employee
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

A quick feedback after two weeks of usage with all types of weather, from cloudless hot days to rain heavy thunder storms:
Despite being installed in direct sunlight, the sensor shows much more accurate readings than when it was placed next to the wall without an enclosing.

I got a 30° reading today when the oldschool thermometer next to where the sensor was located before showed 36°. And those two readings used to match up pretty spot on.

I‘m happy with the Shield. It‘s doesn’t solve every possible problem, for example after heavy rain combines with strong winds, the humidity will unavoidable reach 100% at some point till the sensor drys out again. But for somebody who focuses primarily on temperature readings, I can recommend it.

Not a Netatmo employee
simtom

Post by simtom »

I’m also using the Shield but I’m getting inaccurate temperature readings when it’s in full sunlight (at least when compared to other stations and official sources). It's obviously accurate when it’s overcast but now I really do notice a difference. Setup is exactly the same as yours, attached to my balcony guard rail. Wonder what’s happening 🤔
Ianfsteele

Post by Ianfsteele »

I am also getting very high reading in direct sunlight unfortunately.
I have mine on a wooden truss nowhere near a wall.
Any help welcome
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

I have my sensor installed in the Shield ever since I made this topic last year, fully exposed 17m above ground and open on all 4 sides.
I get more accurate readings now than before when it was mounted on the brick wall.

Maybe lack of proper ventilation like on a partially enclosed balcony could cause hight readings, I don‘t know 🤷‍♂️

Not a Netatmo employee
MarcV

Post by MarcV »

I didn't know Netatmo sold such a shield. I have a similar one (not from Netatmo). To avoid radiation of the sun I have strapped the whole setup to the trunk of a beach tree in my backyard, knowing that the canopy (leaves) reflects IR radiation very well. And even then I clearly notice the difference in temperature measurement when the sun appears from behind a nearby building and starts shining on the tree...
...but I might be wrong...

Return to “Feature requests”