Request: Please give us a local API

Suggestions, features and new ideas
SebastianH

Request: Please give us a local API

Post by SebastianH » 29 Nov 2016, 10:02

Hello netatmo Forum,

I recently bought a netatmo weatherstation and while it is pretty and seems to work I was surprised that the collected data is only available via "the cloud". If I understand it correctly the data gets updated in intervals of 5 minutes and is then sent to the netatmo server. My request would be:
  • make the interval configurable (the base station has no battery, so it could also measure in shorter intervals, I am especially interested in the sonometer measurements)
  • either implement a local REST API to gather the data (return the same JSON object as is returned by the cloud API) or let the user configure a local endpoint where the base station publishes the data to via HTTP post, TCP direct connection or MQTT or whatever is easiest for you to implement (the interval could be a different one from the cloud update interval)
  • give the user an option to completely stop publishing data to your servers
The reason I ask for this is concerns that this beautiful weatherstation might become a useless paperweight once you decide to not support it anymore, go out of business or either your server crashes or I go offline. It currently can't do anything without an internet connection and you servers being online. Compare that to devices build for the Particle Cloud ... those can be configured locally and they can be run without an internet connection if you want to.

Thank you very much!

Brieuc_Netatmo

Re: Request: Please give us a local API

Post by Brieuc_Netatmo » 29 Nov 2016, 11:45

Hello,
Please find more info here: dev.netatmo.com
The interval cannot be changed, to avoid servers overload.
Brieuc - Netatmo Team

SebastianH

Post by SebastianH » 29 Nov 2016, 11:55

Brieuc_Netatmo wrote:Hello,
Please find more info here: dev.netatmo.com
The interval cannot be changed, to avoid servers overload.
Thank you for your reply, I know about the cloud API. I am requesting a local API with a possible faster update interval. The ideal solution would be a configurable IP-address/hostname and port together with an interval. The base station would then send a JSON object similar to the one your cloud API provides to this address at the specified interval.

Reasons to implement this:
  • I am running a local server for home automation (Node-RED) and don't want to rely on the internet working just to get the outside or inside temperature
  • if the servers go offline for whatever reason all the beautiful hardware becomes useless without local APIs

Golempl

Post by Golempl » 02 Jan 2017, 12:04

This definitely needs offline reporting support. Cloud reporting is nice but why to pass data over many potential points of failure when we can do this localy.
This is like 5 minutes work with code reuse in firmware (before 101 firmware data wasn't crypted) so just copy/paste and give destination static any local IP, who want then will catch data on own and do very own graphs.

ttyridal

Post by ttyridal » 02 Jan 2017, 21:13

I'll add my vote for this..

Alternatively, provide a way to revert back to firmware without encryption.

I chose the netatmo gear precisely because it was possible to get local readings. A good insurance in case you guys get bought, go bankrupt or plain and simply decides to drop support. Unfortunately this is no longer the case and I'm reluctant to buy more units or recommend them to others.

Chers

Golempl

Post by Golempl » 03 Jan 2017, 10:35

After some years we may be forced to pay for access data from our station, like 10$ per year, thats reason why netatmo don't allow local reporting and encrypting data.
NETATMO- please provide firmware without encryption for peoples who want do logging without access to cloud.

SebastianH

Post by SebastianH » 12 Jun 2017, 20:08

So, it's been 6 months. Any news on local access to our data? I am just asking to be able to have the station send its measurements at a configurable interval over UDP or TCP to a specified IP address and port in the local network. Not much different from how it currently updates the cloud values.

nmontec

Post by nmontec » 20 Mar 2018, 17:22

I am also looking for a way to get the data locally. The internet might go down for a while but I need a way to retrieve my data locally.
This is a very important matter, otherwise I need to sell my weather station.

Nicola

Ahilsman

Post by Ahilsman » 15 Apr 2018, 13:41

I agree with needing this feature. What would be great is to be able to save the data locally on my mobile and link via Bluetooth. Many times I would like to take the station on camping trips with our RV or out to the cabin. I could even manage a portable router and raspberry Pi, but an internet connection is never something I can count on. Thanks!

Rainman43CZ

Post by Rainman43CZ » 20 Jun 2018, 21:59

+1 Please give us a local API for smart home.

Return to “Feature requests”