Thermostat IFTTT Channel Preview

Share your IFTTT experience with Netatmo products!
Enzo

Thermostat IFTTT Channel Preview

Post by Enzo »

Hi everyone,

We have recently developed an IFTTT Channel for the Netatmo Thermostat. IFTTT (https://ifttt.com/) is a service that enables to connect different services (such as Facebook, Evernote etc.) and connected devices in order to make them work together.
We are now releasing this channel in preview mode. If you want to test it, you can access it at https://ifttt.com/features/redeem?code= ... aa4b299c2c. Please let us know if you encounter any issue or if you have feedback.
Enzo - Netatmo Team
TypeC

Re: IFTTT Channel Preview

Post by TypeC »

This is an interesting development, thank you for implementing it.

There seems to be a good coverage of the mode changes (frost guard, away, etc.) in the list of triggers but nothing at all to signal the regular activities of the device. Is there a reason for this? I'm thinking (for example):
  • Boiler on
  • Boiler off
  • Temperature increased / decreased (perhaps as part of a programme or through manual intervention)
  • Measured temperature above / below a threshold
  • Entering new Heating Period
In my case, I'd like some visual indication that the boiler has come on in the evenings in case we still have windows wide open around the house.
Enzo

Post by Enzo »

Hi,

First of all, thank you for your feedback!

During the Channel development, we have considered most of the triggers you are referring to, however we have chosen not to implement these for now.
As a matter of fact, some of them, such as triggers linked to the temperature, are technically not relevant yet because the thermostat only send those data to our server once every hour, which can't be considered as real time. Another explanation, regarding Boiler triggers for example, is that even though it is relevant in the use case you have pointed out, the boiler status is something that tends to toggle often as The Netatmo thermostat is meant to only keep the boiler switched on when it is necessary. It means that such a trigger could send you a lot of (too much?) notifications. Nevertheless, you're right, this is an interesting point.

Thank you again for your feedback, we take your suggestions in consideration and keep them in mind for the future.
Enzo - Netatmo Team
TypeC

Post by TypeC »

Thanks for your reply and explanation, Enzo. I'm not sure I agree with you.

Surely it's up to the user whether the number of notifications is "too much"? Emails? Probably, yes. Dashboard icon? Subtle change in light colour? Not necessarily. It may not even be a user notification at all - perhaps automated windows should close if the boiler comes on? I think the user should be free to make his / her own decision on which triggers are useful based on their own requirements (which will no doubt include thinking about the likely trigger rate).

The whole point of IFTTT is that users can build the things they need rather than what a manufacturer thinks they need. This means the user defines the use case and if you artificially restrict the choice the user has in implementing their ideas, you restrict them, needlessly, from getting as much value from your product as they might.

And of course, there's the competition. I haven't checked the Nest integration with IFTTT, but if you can do something they can't, it could generate sales. It could also cost you sales to your rivals if they include functionality you don't. Since you're doing it anyway, I don't see a downside to throwing in everything you can.

I see the job of someone interfacing with a service like IFTTT as working hard to generate as much flexibility as possible and then getting out of the way to let everyone else innovate. How do you see it?
ST2008

Post by ST2008 »

Great to see these recipes coming on stream. Especially "Set my Netatmo Thermostat __ when outdoor temperature is above __°C" will be very powerful and provide the summer/winter time functionality that people are looking for elsewhere on this forum. Would it be possible to add a time element to this one, i.e. specify a time window to apply the rule (allowing to specify different temperatures over a 24 hour period).

Keep up the good work!
Simon T.
ST2008

Post by ST2008 »

So I can turn the thermostat off reliably, but how to turn on again (to a specific profile)?
TypeC

Post by TypeC »

ST2008 wrote:So I can turn the thermostat off reliably, but how to turn on again (to a specific profile)?
Can't this be done with the "Follow Schedule" action (potentially in combination with the "Switch Schedule" action)? It may even be the case that "Switch Schedule" switches the system to "Follow Schedule" mode from an off state, but (unless someone else knows the answer) some testing may be needed to find this out.
JanMetDePet

Post by JanMetDePet »

if i want to add an IFTTT channel: where do I do it: Netatmo, or IFTTT or both?

What I want to ad is a signal when 1 ore more of the batteries is dead.
TypeC

Post by TypeC »

An IFTTT channel is the collection of triggers and / or actions available to IFTTT users from whatever (usually 3rd party) service IFTTT is interfacing with, and so you cannot create or modify a channel. I think you need to create a recipe to do what you need.

Although I haven't done this, I believe you will need to:
  • Register with IFTTT on their site
  • Connect your Netatmo to IFTTT (you initiate this on the IFTTT site and it should take you to Netatmo where you can log in and give permission)
  • Depending on the notification method you choose, you may also need to connect to a different channel on IFTTT for the notification action (such as Android notification)
  • Create the recipe, again on the IFTTT site.
ST2008

Post by ST2008 »

TypeC wrote:
ST2008 wrote:So I can turn the thermostat off reliably, but how to turn on again (to a specific profile)?
Can't this be done with the "Follow Schedule" action (potentially in combination with the "Switch Schedule" action)? It may even be the case that "Switch Schedule" switches the system to "Follow Schedule" mode from an off state, but (unless someone else knows the answer) some testing may be needed to find this out.
Thanks - pretty sure the Follow Schedule wasn't there te first time I looked - I guess new things are being added in beta - I will give it a try!

Return to “IFTTT”