Homekit movement sensor

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
gieljnssns

Homekit movement sensor

Post by gieljnssns » 05 Jan 2018, 15:11

There is one sensor available through homekit, wich is activated when there is movement (human, animal,...)

I would like to see 4 sensors, one for human, one for animal,...

jofre_netatmo

Re: Homekit movement sensor

Post by jofre_netatmo » 05 Jan 2018, 15:44

Sorry, this is not supported by HomeKit.
Regards,
Jofre - Netatmo Team

gieljnssns

Post by gieljnssns » 05 Jan 2018, 16:21

Then, give us the option to select wich triggers the sensor…

jofre_netatmo

Post by jofre_netatmo » 05 Jan 2018, 16:30

We will consider this for a future firmware update.
Thanks,
Jofre - Netatmo Team

Cyv

Post by Cyv » 07 Jan 2018, 16:33

This is really important. I tought that this function will be the homekit-update!
Thats the Key-Feature of your product! Whats the point for having a camera which can detect human, animals and cars, when the Homekitfunction is „movement detected“??

So, I installed several additional lights which I made homekit-compatible. It was planned to let them switch on over presence cameras, when a person is detected. But no, they get switched on with every movement, which is useless. Without the detection of humans/animals/cars the Presence camera is only a motion sensor to homekit... which makes the „homekit function“ absolute useless... Sorry to say that.

I already expected that option, to be honest. Now I have 3 useless lights at my house, which should be controlled by homekit...

So please let us choose what triggers the sensor! Let us use the keyfeature of the presence. Without this option the homekit-integration is not necessary at all!

Una Real

Post by Una Real » 08 Jan 2018, 13:02

Cyv wrote:This is really important. I tought that this function will be the homekit-update!
Thats the Key-Feature of your product! Whats the point for having a camera which can detect human, animals and cars, when the Homekitfunction is „movement detected“??

So, I installed several additional lights which I made homekit-compatible. It was planned to let them switch on over presence cameras, when a person is detected. But no, they get switched on with every movement, which is useless. Without the detection of humans/animals/cars the Presence camera is only a motion sensor to homekit... which makes the „homekit function“ absolute useless... Sorry to say that.

I already expected that option, to be honest. Now I have 3 useless lights at my house, which should be controlled by homekit...

So please let us choose what triggers the sensor! Let us use the keyfeature of the presence. Without this option the homekit-integration is not necessary at all!
While your frustration is understandable, you might consider that you made some assumptions that would have been cleared up had you paid attention to the HomeKit features announced by Netatmo. To say the HomeKit feature is "absolute useless" is not accurate. It's only useless in terms of your erroneous assumptions.

I plan on using the HomeKit features to control the spotlight and have the video available to monitor within HomeKit. Which is pretty sweet (assuming it works), and something I didn't anticipate when I bought my Presence. So any HomeKit enabled features are certainly a nice bonus at no additional cost.

Interestingly, your intended use would be of no use to me. Because Presence can't reliably tell the difference between animals and people. So I have those features disabled. And that's after months, and months of consistent, dedicated contributions to the Presence "learning" program with little to no improvement to show for it. But this is just in my case. This feature seems to work just fine for a lot of people. I have an atypical amount of wildlife activity, lots of trees and shrubs and very changeable lighting conditions with lots of shadows and bright areas. In other words, a complicated and very active scene. All of which make for difficult deep learning. Not saying their algorithms will never get there for me, but am not holding my breath or wasting my time anymore in contributing to their feedback program. Am thinking it will take many years before the algorithms can reliably handle a scenario like mine, if ever.

So different strokes for different folks. Your blanket conclusion that Netatmo's Presence HomeKit integration is useless seems a bit hasty and unfair. A little research can go a long way toward preventing disappointment and frustration.

Patrick S

Post by Patrick S » 08 Jan 2018, 19:05

And dont forget the geofencing. This is the best thing with homekit for me. No need to activate and deactivate my 4 cameras every time i am leaving the house and return.

Patrick S

Post by Patrick S » 08 Jan 2018, 21:07

Wait a second....it is NOT possible to activate and deactivate the netatmo via geofencing when i am entering or leaving my home?? That must be a joke, right?

jofre_netatmo

Post by jofre_netatmo » 09 Jan 2018, 11:16

Hi,
@Una Real, we keep working on improving the accuracy of our detection algorithms. We expect to have a new firmware with notable improvements by the end of winter.
@Patrick S, right now, turning a camera on or off is not supported by HomeKit.
Regards,
Jofre - Netatmo Team

Una Real

Post by Una Real » 09 Jan 2018, 12:48

jofre wrote:Hi,
@Una Real, we keep working on improving the accuracy of our detection algorithms. We expect to have a new firmware with notable improvements by the end of winter.
That's good news...will look forward to checking it out. Hope you'll understand if I say I'm not overly optimistic considering the past history of such "improvements." That said, your use of "notable" to describe the improvements has me at least somewhat hopeful. We'll see. ;)

Return to “General questions”