Presence disconnects and reconnects continuously

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
beert

Re: Presence disconnects and reconnects continuously

Post by beert » 07 Feb 2018, 13:37

Firmware Updates
v119 (January 2nd 2018): (...)
- Minor bug fixes to improve network stability.

Seems to me that this 'fix' should be addressed first, before looking for workarounds.

Grapescape

Post by Grapescape » 12 Feb 2018, 22:03

Presence continues to disconnect and reconnect a couple of times a day. Sometimes it’s still accessible on h9mekit, sometimes not. There is obviously an issue that needs a fix. I hope Netatmo will be able to sort this out with an update soon. The idea is great but it needs to be stable.

Christophe_Netatmo

Post by Christophe_Netatmo » 13 Feb 2018, 11:23

Please all note that we are investigating these issues. Product stability and network reachability is one of our top priority.
As for today we have identified that the UDP timeout is one of the cause and we are currently working on a fix for those of you that cannot extend the timeout from your router interface.
Network stability can be impacted by multiple cause and sometimes not related to the camera itself so it take some time to understand all the possible reasons for the disconnections you are facing.
We will let you know when we have more info to share on this subject.

Grapescape

Post by Grapescape » 14 Feb 2018, 21:26

Thank you for the information. However, disconnects and reconnects now happening endlessly. If you are unable to rectify soon I will have to return the item to my retailer under the sale of goods act. The camera is useless currently which is sad.

Mariener

Post by Mariener » 15 Feb 2018, 12:09

Same here, some hiccups along the way (Black nightvision) (Late notifications) but overall worked pretty well. Today, disconnections all the time, its been 35 minutes offline so far and no indication whether it will turn back on.

As useful as a brick at the moment. Frustrating. All worked just fine, strong wifi connection, no issues and all of a sudden it starts to disconnect.

Christophe_Netatmo

Post by Christophe_Netatmo » 15 Feb 2018, 15:11

Mariener wrote:Today, disconnections all the time, its been 35 minutes offline so far and no indication whether it will turn back on.
Please send me your camera MAC address by PM so we have investigate on this. Thank you.

ssamsonice

Post by ssamsonice » 15 Feb 2018, 18:42

Are you sure, you are looking in the right direction? If a lot of people, me included, suddenly experience lots of disconnections throughout the day, it does not sound like a local router setting problem.

But ok, I would PM you as well, but apparantly that feature is disabled for me in the forums.

Cyv

Post by Cyv » 16 Feb 2018, 08:33

ssamsonice wrote:Are you sure, you are looking in the right direction? If a lot of people, me included, suddenly experience lots of disconnections throughout the day, it does not sound like a local router setting problem.
Thats what I think, too. It‘s not a fix for the people who cant adjust the udp timeout, it‘s a fix for the crappy wifi-connection netatmo implements. Stop telling the people that they are handling their cameras wrong.
Maybe you should start asking the real questions!
For example:
- Why is it necessary to adjust an udp-timeout? Why is there this long gap?
- Why do you have this problems with common routers like fritzbox or apple airport?
- Why is the connection to netatmo down, while the connection to apple homekit is working fine?
- Why did you tell the people to reset their cams for months!!! Instead of starting an investigation if there is a general issue?
Your customers resetted ther cams for weeks, till a forum post from netatmo said, that there is maybe an issue wirh ios-devices. Thats awful an unfair against your customer, who pay your salary by the way.
- Why is the detectionnof animals and persons so bad? I get about 10-20 false alarms because your cams falsly categorises my cat as human... the option „ improve detection“ has absolutely NO effect. I used several hundred times. My cat gets still detected as human. Wow...

Dudes @ netatmo, you are not apple or google. The quality of your software is the best proof of that. Don‘t act like them.
There should be clear statements about known issues. You are selling „security products“ and you are behaving like a garage seller. Thats really annoying. Don‘t act that arrogant and get your shit together. Look through some forums, your customers are really pissed, and you know what? They are right! This behaviour is an absoulte nogo!

Christophe_Netatmo

Post by Christophe_Netatmo » 16 Feb 2018, 11:46

I understand your frustration but please keep here the discussion constructive. This forum is about providing a direct channel between the community, the product managers and engineers working on your product.
You will not help the communication by being too negative. That being said I will try to clarify your questions.

The proposed solution for the UDP timeout has never been stated as the long term solution. It is a quick way for those impacted by it and who have the possibility to modify it to resolve quickly the issue.
As I explained in a previous post, a change in the camera software is currently being tested on our side to provide a solution for customers that cannot change this setting in their router.
As for now we think that the UDP timeout can be problematic for some customers but this is not a magic solution that will resolve all disconnection problems. So other possibilities are still explored to address all issues.

For Apple Homekit, if your are on your local network the link between the camera and your iOS device is direct and not impacted by router timeouts or ISP problems.
Anyway if Homekit is working correctly this information can help to understand where is the main root cause in your case.

I agree that resetting the camera will most likely not help your disconnection issues. I guess the technical support asked you to do it because you were also having some other problems.
Even if we don't directly communicate to each one of you that we are currently investigating something, all your feedback are taken into account and many fixes and improvements come from them.

The animal detection is not really part of the topic but we are aware that it is a feature that needs constant improvements and we have a dedicated team working on the subject.
Your contribution to the algorithm is important and really useful but it takes some time to see the beneficial effect. This is also something that we hope to improve in the futur.

For the disconnection problems I will be please to try to help you, so send me your camera MAC address by PM or post it here so we can have a check.

ssamsonice

Post by ssamsonice » 16 Feb 2018, 20:31

Hi Christophe.
You send me a PM with some questions, but I am still not authorized to send PMs, so I cannot give you an answer from a PM

But as you wrote, you think there is a problem on my end. My setup could surely be improved if I place a router right next to the cam, but the wifi connection has 3 out of 4 bars, and most days it works just fine. But some days like yesterday the disconnection problem went crazy with about 12 to 15 disconnects each lasting 10 to 15 minutes before reconnection. All happening between 8 am and 5 pm CET.

When I read this forum post, I could read many others having the exact same problem yesterday. This leads me to the conclusion that this must be some kind of centralized problem.

So again looking at packet loss in my wifi connection would be the wrong place to search. Today with the exact same setup there has been no problems at all, and the camera responds fast and with good streaming quality. As it does most days, but some days (and never in the night) the camera becomes unreliable even though my wifi is at full speed and the internet online. When the disconnections occur I have on several occasions testet my setup without finding any problems.

Return to “General questions”