Presence disconnects and reconnects continuously

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Christophe_Netatmo

Re: Presence disconnects and reconnects continuously

Post by Christophe_Netatmo » 19 Feb 2018, 11:28

ssamsonice,

Sorry for the private message issue, I don't know why you can't send them.

I suggested you to focus on your local network configuration because the diagnostic on your camera confirms that your local link is very disturbed.
This can explain all your problems and that's why we need to sort out this problem first.
Please check your private messages for more details on this.

agates

Post by agates » 21 Feb 2018, 15:37

I am also suffering this same issue, I have long periods of stability and then weeks of Connected/Disconnected notifications.

I have also seen the App reporting Disconnected while Apple Home happily streams video and audio to an iPhone on the same wifi network as the camera. I am also using Airport Express to provide wifi.

Last night it disconnected at 2209 and reconnected at 2331, this morning it disconnected at 0631 and reconnected at 0652 (All times GMT)

Monday was one of the worst days in a while with 4 drops
[D(isconnected) 1451 C(onnected) 1526] [D 1645 C 1741] [D 1959 C 2058] [D 2149 C 2211]

Serial Number 70:ee:50:29:e2:1c

I have Firmware 1.19 According to the camera time-line it was updated on the 11th January. I already had disconnection issues before the update was applied.

I'd appreciate any assistance

mjkenrick

Post by mjkenrick » 21 Feb 2018, 18:17

Sadly I have to join this club. Right from the start in may case, the Presence that I fitted to my daughter's house has connected and disconnected without obvious reason. I have checked the power connections and they are fine. As she is going through a nasty divorce at this time, it is not a good moment to find the camera does not work! I am relieved that the problem is not just mine; that is the good news. The bad is that customer services or the help desk do not seem interested in helping resolve this question, despite several emails. I am told that they are very busy with sales activity! Well, the best sales come from recommendation - need I say more?!

Not being that technical, how do I check/alter the UDP setting on her router, please?

Subzero

Post by Subzero » 22 Feb 2018, 19:24

mjkenrick wrote:Sadly I have to join this club. Right from the start in may case, the Presence that I fitted to my daughter's house has connected and disconnected without obvious reason. I have checked the power connections and they are fine. As she is going through a nasty divorce at this time, it is not a good moment to find the camera does not work! I am relieved that the problem is not just mine; that is the good news. The bad is that customer services or the help desk do not seem interested in helping resolve this question, despite several emails. I am told that they are very busy with sales activity! Well, the best sales come from recommendation - need I say more?!

Not being that technical, how do I check/alter the UDP setting on her router, please?
Check which channel on wifi has the least traffic. You want to manually set your router to 1,6 or 11. An over crowded channel can cause this, what's the signal strength on the camera (this can be found in the app)?

mjkenrick

Post by mjkenrick » 23 Feb 2018, 17:36

Thank you, Subzero, for that. The only figure I see in the app, that I have not understood so far, is 360p. Is that the signal strength? If not, I need help finding the data, please. I will try to get access to my router to see what the channel is that is being used

mjkenrick

Post by mjkenrick » 23 Feb 2018, 17:52

Have discovered the router settings at my house so now know where to look at my daughter's in due course, Thank you. Mine is set on Automatic and channel 1, so hers probably is the same. After a peaceful yesterday, today we are back to connect/disconnect again! very frustrating!

Christophe_Netatmo

Post by Christophe_Netatmo » 23 Feb 2018, 18:14

agates wrote:I am also suffering this same issue, I have long periods of stability and then weeks of Connected/Disconnected notifications.

I have also seen the App reporting Disconnected while Apple Home happily streams video and audio to an iPhone on the same wifi network as the camera. I am also using Airport Express to provide wifi.
Hello Agates,

As Subzero suggested it would be worth the try to configure your Airport to use a different channel.
mjkenrick wrote:Not being that technical, how do I check/alter the UDP setting on her router, please?
Hello mjkenrick,

In your case the UDP timeout seems not related to your issue. The diagnostic reports that your WiFi link is poor, with a lot of lost packets on your local network.
You can send me a private message with more details on your network configuration (routeur, use of repeater/range extender) to be sure that everything is optimal on your setup.

agates

Post by agates » 26 Feb 2018, 10:55

Christophe_Netatmo wrote:Hello Agates, As Subzero suggested it would be worth the try to configure your Airport to use a different channel.
As you can see my Presence is disconnected for periods of more than 1 hour. This is not because of traffic on the channel of wifi that I am using, other devices on the same wifi network work well and sometimes, when it shows disconnected, the video is streaming live to Apple Home on the same wifi network.

This appears to be a problem with routing through to the Netatmo servers.

mjkenrick

Post by mjkenrick » 01 Mar 2018, 12:59

Hmm, both cameras still connecting and disconnecting much of the time. Perhaps they do not like our cold weather, though it would seem a little silly not to have made them for winter conditions.
Can anyone tell me the significance of the "started" icon in the App? This is the black circle with a white lightening sign. Sometimes I get it after a disconnect, but not always. Whatever, it seems to mean nothing as I remain disconnected until I get a green sign saying connected.

passatgt

Post by passatgt » 01 Mar 2018, 13:09

I have similar issues sadly. I have an internet provider issued router and not able to change UDP timeout.

I checked my connected devices in my router settings and saw that Netatmo only got 19Mbps on the 2.4ghz channel. I changed my 2.4ghz channel and now its 72mbps and connection seems better. Will monitor for a few days if its actually made improvements or not.

If you are on Mac, you can find the best wifi channel like this:
1. Open Wireless Diagnostics(you can find it in Spotlight)
2. Press Option+CMD+4
3. Wait a bit and on the left side you will see "Best 2.4gz" and the channel number. Set this in your router config.

I might be getting a new router to fine-tune the connection parameters just for Presence. (Also most new routers have proper FTP support for usb connected storage devices, so footage can be saved locally)

Return to “General questions”