Why isn't the Presence Cam IP65? Covered holes solution

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Mariener

Why isn't the Presence Cam IP65? Covered holes solution

Post by Mariener »

It baffles me why Netatmo hasn't done a better job on making the Netatmo Presence IP65? The backside is full of holes, when tilted, water will easily find its way through the inside, towards the bottom of the electronics and it will build up moisture in or around the SD slot. The Presence has been around for a good while now. Both the back and bottom pieces are plastic removable parts, Why don't you offer a kit with closed inserts with rubber surrounding the edges to make it waterproof and prevent all these broken presence lights from the get go?

Has anyone else covered these holes? Because I did and im hoping this will prevent water from reaching the electronics... It baffles me even further that the light can even be mounted upside down! Pretty much making it a water bucket :lol:

I've included a photo from another user that experienced problems with his Presence camera. So the image is not mine and I haven't experienced any problems so far with light rain. I myself am very satisfied with the Netatmo Thermostat. But it took me this long to finally purchase a Presence cam, due to all the issues that are being reported. Even without seeing those reports, i would have known that an open body, is asking for trouble with weather. :roll:

So my question towards Netatmo, why this design choice? Apart from cooling. Will there be a V2 with better weather resistible capabilities? Im very curious as to what others have done to make it last longer than some of the users have here.

/edit, im aware that you apply a special coating apart from the die-eletric grease in the sd port. But apparently this isn't enough for the SD card to survive moisture??
Attachments
1EwSzh3j8FpCPB3.jpeg
vojta66

Re: Why isn't the Presence Cam IP65? Covered holes solution

Post by vojta66 »

Lesson learned: you should instal your Presence under small roof and you will be safe.

If you will install it exposed to rain and snow etc, you are risking serious problems.

It was checked here many times in this forum.

You should put vaseline inside when you for example are changing memory card.....
1Welcome(512), 9 tags (v58), 1Smart Smoke (v108),1Smart Siren (v209)
1 Weather Station(v181), Outdoor module (50),Rain Gauge(v12),Wind Gauge(v25),3 Indoor Modules (v51)
1Thermostat(v75+relay 2nd generation v222 + 5Valves (v85)
2Presence cameras(320)
Owenlars

Post by Owenlars »

If it is IP65 why do we need to put grease in and around the SD card slot?
vojta66

Post by vojta66 »

Owenlars wrote:If it is IP65 why do we need to put grease in and around the SD card slot?
https://www.netatmo.com/en-GB/helpcente ... d-i-do/271
1Welcome(512), 9 tags (v58), 1Smart Smoke (v108),1Smart Siren (v209)
1 Weather Station(v181), Outdoor module (50),Rain Gauge(v12),Wind Gauge(v25),3 Indoor Modules (v51)
1Thermostat(v75+relay 2nd generation v222 + 5Valves (v85)
2Presence cameras(320)
Mariener

Post by Mariener »

I've covered everything, so far so good. Only problems that were/are present are night vision acting up. But no connectivity issues, nor any moisture so far. Lets see how it reacts to a storm.
Johan_Netatmo

Post by Johan_Netatmo »

Owenlars wrote:If it is IP65 why do we need to put grease in and around the SD card slot?
To allow you to change it.
Owenlars

Post by Owenlars »

Thanks.

So that does confirm one of my earlier posts that a camera mounted upside down is vulnerable to water and depends totally on the grease in and around the SD slot to stay operational. It is therefore not totally waterproof. Not saying it’s a problem merely that it would be helpful to point this out in clear language in the instructions for mounting and positioning the camera.
Owenlars

Post by Owenlars »

Incidentally mine has been outside in Normandy for over a year and has dealt with all the recent rain that has been inundating Northern France for the last three months. It is mounted the right way up though.

Return to “General questions”