Please consider introducing a snooze alerts feature!

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
gnaegi

Re: Please consider introducing a snooze alerts feature!

Post by gnaegi » 25 Jun 2018, 13:57

@EssexBoyRacer I have the "Receive Presence Notifications" section, however I only have the two sliders to change the time. There is no option for "always or only when you are away".

Do you have a beta version of the security app? Or do you use the android version? I have Version 3.0.12 on iOS and this option is definitely not there. Do you have also a Welcome camera?

EssexBoyRacer

Post by EssexBoyRacer » 25 Jun 2018, 14:25

Thats strange, I have the same version on iOS too. I do have Welcome and Presence cameras but the option is under the Presence heading.
IMG_27054175BE9D-1.jpeg

gnaegi

Post by gnaegi » 25 Jun 2018, 22:09

This is how it looks in my case. No such menu. :-(

As a side note: does the time interval override the geo-fence or is it an addition to the geofence. IMHO the later does not make any sense at all. I also have a canary and there I have a night mode that overrides the geo-fence, which I think is very logical.

Anyway, I'm not going to buy a Welcome camera just to get the geo-fence, this is ridiculous. Technically this has nothing to do with the camera itself, the geo-fence must be implemented by the security app on iOS level, no need to involve any camera at all. From a merchandise perspective this might of course be very different...
Attachments
IMG_28F297AF7D4C-1.jpeg

EssexBoyRacer

Post by EssexBoyRacer » 25 Jun 2018, 22:31

That's really odd that it's missing! I wonder if it's because yours is in German? You might be worthwhile contacting support to see if they can shed any light?

I believe it's in addition to geofencing but I've always had the time interval set the way it is on my screen shot (i.e always notify me at all times) and I use the do not disturb feature on iOS to control notifications for my whole phone during the night.

gnaegi

Post by gnaegi » 25 Jun 2018, 22:52

oh wow, my interpretation of the slider is completely different: I set it to "from 0:00 to 23:59" to get notification during the whole day. Setting it from "23:59 to 23:59" in my understanding would disable it completely, the interval is zero. Strange that it works for you, really bad usability.

EssexBoyRacer

Post by EssexBoyRacer » 25 Jun 2018, 22:58

Hmm, so I just set my sliders to the same as yours. Will see if it makes any difference but I think 23:59 > 23:59 seems to have the same effect as send notifications all the time.

gnaegi

Post by gnaegi » 29 Jun 2018, 22:54

So I wrote to netatmo support the other day and the response is very, very disappointing. The rep wrote me that geo-fence does only work when having a Welcome camera and argued that this would be needed to make this work. This is total nonsense as the geo-fence has nothing to do with the camera, it is a feature implemented in the app on the mobile phone, not on the camera.

In addition, he explained a totally nonsense behavior: geo-fence would only be used to automatically go into a secure mode when leaving, however when entering the house the fence would only be unsecured when the Welcome camera detects a face. This makes so absolutely no sense at all. Why getting an alarm everytime someone of the family gets home just because the Precence camera detects the person before entering the house (obviously, isn't it!).

If this is the final verdict of netatmo I will have to replace the cameras with ones from Canary that can do proper geo-fencing. I have several Presence and actually wanted to have two more of them, but like this it just does not make sense even though I like the product better than the Canary cameras in regards to everything else than the missing geo-fence. But this is such a fundamental feature, I'm really baffled netatmo is not implementing it properly.

EssexBoyRacer

Post by EssexBoyRacer » 30 Jun 2018, 00:21

Hmm. I agree. It’s odd that they can’t support geofencing for presence only customers.

And now you mention it I think you are right that welcome geofencing only works when leaving the house.

I suppose everyone has slightly different configurations and preferences it’s hard to accommodate them all, but I would have thought geofencing for presence cameras should be a worthwhile option.

kgroenhoej

Post by kgroenhoej » 05 Jul 2018, 23:34

gnaegi wrote:This is how it looks in my case. No such menu. :-(
My menu used to look like your menu. Then I installed a Welcome-camera and now the menu look like EssexBoyRacer's menu.

Regarding snooze feature... Presence do communicate to Netatmo-cloud and Netatmo-cloud can communicate to IFTTT-cloud if you set it up. And IFTTT-cloud can enable a trigger to something else that also integrate to IFTTT. And that "something else" might know if you are presence or not. I do that with a "Homey" and it works but not problem free.
Netatmo-cloud is unstable - IFTTT often looses connection to Netatmo-cloud - and Netatmo-cloud often looses connection to Presence-camera. So there's definitely something wrong with Netatmo-cloud and also with Presence-camera. Netatmo-cloud doesn't loose the connection to my Welcome-camera as often as it does to my Presence-camera.

But back to Homey - Homey gets a notification from IFTTT that it had received a notification from Netatmo that Presence-camera had seen a person - and Homey will send me a message if i'm not home.
Presence have an integration with Apple HomeKit - and Apple HomeKit also have the possibility to be aware of your presence but that part do not "talk" together with Presence/Netatmo.

I know - it's a big workaround with IFTTT and Homey to get a Person-Seen-Notification and only get the notification when i'm not home...

EssexBoyRacer

Post by EssexBoyRacer » 06 Jul 2018, 09:11

Nice idea. Though the IFFT api for netatmo actions only lets you set your self to away or the whole house.

There’s no action possible such as set your self to home or adjustment of any notification settings.

Return to “General questions”