Homekit remote access : disconnects after a while

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
wallyc

Homekit remote access : disconnects after a while

Post by wallyc » 30 Jul 2018, 17:37

Is everybody enjoying flawless HomeKit remote access, like watching Presence camera from outside your home ?

I have successfully set it up, and when i leave the house, it works for a while, but for strange reasons, after a few hours away from my home, my Home App shows a red dot next to my camera and motion detector, whereas other Homekit devices like Hue work perfectly.

It seems that rebooting the router, or getting back on my WiFi Lan resets the whole problem.

But once I am out again, after a while, my camera goes again red-inaccessible.

TommasoSan

Re: Homekit remote access : disconnects after a while

Post by TommasoSan » 31 Jul 2018, 11:41

Hi,
Homekit works only if you re under the same wifi; if you want to use homekit away from home you need a gateway always connevted (an apple tv, an Homepod or an iPad left in the house under charge)

wallyc

Post by wallyc » 31 Jul 2018, 11:52

I forgot to say, but I have an Apple TV configured with HomeKit, that works perfectly with all my devices, Hue, .... when I am out of my house.

The problem occurs only with Netatmo Presence.

Brieuc_Netatmo

Post by Brieuc_Netatmo » 31 Jul 2018, 16:46

Hi,
Please send us a message through the contact form at the bottom of this page: https://www.netatmo.com/helpcenter/security/2
We will be glad to help you find a solution.
Have a nice day!
Brieuc - Netatmo Team

kgroenhoej

Post by kgroenhoej » 31 Jul 2018, 21:47

And please post the solution here so others (like me) with the same problem also have a fix.

wallyc

Post by wallyc » 31 Jul 2018, 21:48

Ok I found the error. It is specific to Mikrotik routers. The new CapsMan implementation for Wireless management seems incompatible with NetAtmo Presence. As far as the 2,4 Ghz network is concerned, do NOT use CapsMan but configure your wifi with the old traditional way of creating a wireless AP.

wallyc

Post by wallyc » 01 Aug 2018, 13:27

Well, I was probably over-optimistic, but whatever WiFi configuration with a Mikrotik router (CapsMan or Wireless configuration), the HomeKit connection remains unstable. I use no fancy configs with my Mikrotik router, my WAN interface being natted, and my Lan with DHCP and wireless. No VPN, no complex routing, no MAC filters, ...

After staying out of my home for more than a few hours, or when I come back onto my Wifi Lan, it breaks the Homekit connection. While it first works ok (i can watch video via Home.App on my iPhone while i am away from my home Wifi Lan), then after a few minutes/hours, my Netatmo Presence all of a sudden shows as disconnected in Home.App, yet all my other Homekit devices, Hue, ElGato ... continue to be fully accessible in Home.App. Meanwhile, the camera viewing via Netatmo Security.App works perfectly, and no strange event shows in the router log.

And to the question whether I am using an Apple TV 4 as a Homekit hub, the answer is YES !!!

Mikrotik is a reputable brand, so I hereby ask if anyone else has an experience with Mikrotik RouterOS HomeKit working with NetAtmo Presence.

Lance_SJ

Post by Lance_SJ » 31 Aug 2018, 13:09

Hi, Did you finally resolve your issue? I have a similar problem with my thermostat disconnecting from Homekit (it worked fine for a month or so). I'm using a standard enough config on an Orange Livebox4.

wallyc

Post by wallyc » 31 Aug 2018, 13:12

No, the issue is NOT resolved. I have investigated it further, and it seems that Netatmo with Homekit is not compatible with Mikrotik/CapsMan.... Mikrotik being one of the most respected Router/Wireless manufacturer. I have escalated this to Netatmo and they say they will investigate...

Return to “General questions”