IFTTT

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Wolfgang

IFTTT

Post by Wolfgang »

I am trying to create an IFTTT applet for the Netatmo Presence camera to turn on an IKEA TRADFRI lamp when an alarm is found. The lamp is integrated in the Google smart home system.
I do the following in IFTTT:
Create a new applet
Select Netatmo
Select the trigger: An alarm has been detected

In the trigger menu there is a menu:
Which camera?
No options found

When I press create trigger then
No options found turns to Please select a valid option

When I use a ready to use applet under IFTTT which sends an email for this trigger, my cameras are displayed and the applet works.

When building the applet how do I initialize the service of Netatmo to show my cameras?

Wolfgang
kgroenhoej

Re: IFTTT

Post by kgroenhoej »

IFTTT "If An alarm has been detected"... is a Welcome-camera trigger and it's not possible to select a Presence-camera in that menu.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Thank you very much for the answer. However, in the IFTTT Select Trigger Menu both cameras are mentioned and there is no difference made between the triggers for the individual cameras. Could you please tell me which trigger to use for the Presence camera?

Wolfgang
kgroenhoej

Post by kgroenhoej »

Presence trigger these:
Motion has been detected
Camera has a problem
Camera has been switched on
Camera has been switched off
A person has been seen outside
An animal has been seen outside
A vehicle has been seen outside

You should be aware of the delay between the camera detection and the trigger been send to IFTTT-cloud... Sometimes up to 15 minutes :-(
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Thanks a lot, these work.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

kgroenhoej wrote:
You should be aware of the delay between the camera detection and the trigger been send to IFTTT-cloud... Sometimes up to 15 minutes :-(
I had to buy a Philips Hue Gateway since IKEA was not integrated into IFTTT.
The test was successful but very disappointing (I should have believed you), since with a delay of 15 minutes there is not much sense of turning on the lights. Have you got any suggestions to solve my problem?
I want to replace the lights which are parallel to the camera, which now replaces one of the lights, with intelligent lights and switch them synchronously with the camera light.

Wolfgang
kgroenhoej

Post by kgroenhoej »

Wolfgang wrote:
kgroenhoej wrote:
I had to buy a Philips Hue Gateway since IKEA was not integrated into IFTTT.
The test was successful but very disappointing (I should have believed you), since with a delay of 15 minutes there is not much sense of turning on the lights. Have you got any suggestions to solve my problem?
I want to replace the lights which are parallel to the camera, which now replaces one of the lights, with intelligent lights and switch them synchronously with the camera light.

Wolfgang
Two possible solutions
Make Netatmo fix the delay - the problem is with Netatmo-cloud and not with IFTTT-cloud. The delay from other products is in seconds through IFTTT-cloud.
Presence support HomeKit - turn the extra light on with HomeKit. There will be a small noticeable delay between the intelligent light and the camera light - but not in multiple seconds.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Thank you very much for the advice. Since we use Android phones, I might find something else for Google Home.

Wolfgang
kgroenhoej

Post by kgroenhoej »

I think it's a big problem that Netatmo's security products don't use IFTTT's Realtime API which make it possible to get alarms/triggers in seconds instead of minutes (up to 15 minutes).
This big delay could cause terrible things to happen that could be avoided if the alarms/triggers was executed as fast as possible.
I know that Welcome and Presence don't use IFTTT's Realtime API - what about the smoke-detector?

Return to “General questions”