Video quality poor

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
W00dy81

Video quality poor

Post by W00dy81 » 04 Jan 2020, 00:34

I have an excellent internet connection and my router is 3 metres max away from my camera yet when I hit the live stream it starts out playing a lower resolution all blurry and pixelated, also when a subject is moving there are pixelation trails that follow them from time to time.

The same goes for playing back recorded events from the timeline they start out at a very low quality and take too much time to get to a higher resolution.

The software needs adjusting to allow higher bitrate recordings especially since HomeKit secure video is coming

It would be good to able to set a default stream quality in the settings like good, better, best, maximum ranging from quick and nasty to it could take a second to buffer but your video will play in HD from the first frame

I don’t want to have to download every clip to look at it in HD I want to be able to just click on my timeline and view great recordings.

If it’s advertised as a 1080 cam then play in 1080

My ring floodlight cam had excellent live view playback and timeline playback and didn’t need to wait for buffering while the camera changed quality it played great every time.

I don’t want to hear from an admin saying the camera adjusts to your connection because most of us who have posted this problem seem to have excellent connections it’s the software that needs a setting change to allow for maximum bitrate and quality from the start regardless of file size

Subzero

Re: Video quality poor

Post by Subzero » 08 Jan 2020, 12:09

They do this to save load on the servers, you could have the fastest connection going but you'll be limited to 360/ 720 for a good half of the video until it finally decides to occasionally switch to 1080.And downloading also means you can't the zoom. :-(

W00dy81

Post by W00dy81 » 08 Jan 2020, 18:22

Hi subzero is this true, has this been confirmed in the past?

That’s rubbish and a poor service if that’s true

We have a HD 1080p camera and so we expect to be able to see in HD not get downscaled because of their service load.

Invest in better servers if that’s the case.

My ring floodlight cam didn’t do this crap it streamed perfectly all of the time and the only reason I got rid of it was because of no HomeKit support and false alerts

Subzero

Post by Subzero » 09 Jan 2020, 11:33

Well I have 100mb download and 10mb upload, running through a £200 router (not the cheap ISP one), manually set to a channel that's least congested. I have another make of camera that stream full 1080, so it has to be a limit on their servers or a slow VPN they use for security?
Don't get me wrong the Netatmo Cameras are great, they just need to polish the connection/ features and it'd be perfect.

W00dy81

Post by W00dy81 » 18 Jan 2020, 05:12

Subzero wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 11:33
Well I have 100mb download and 10mb upload, running through a £200 router (not the cheap ISP one), manually set to a channel that's least congested. I have another make of camera that stream full 1080, so it has to be a limit on their servers or a slow VPN they use for security?
Don't get me wrong the Netatmo Cameras are great, they just need to polish the connection/ features and it'd be perfect.
Ok got it

There was a new firmware pushed overnight which appears to address, Improvements regarding streaming quality on bad network conditions

Well what we asked for was a fix to streaming on good or great network connections

But nonetheless it appears a lot better so far after a few hours of checking

Will monitor over the next week

Subzero

Post by Subzero » 18 Jan 2020, 22:56

W00dy81 wrote:
18 Jan 2020, 05:12
Subzero wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 11:33
Ok got it

There was a new firmware pushed overnight which appears to address, Improvements regarding streaming quality on bad network conditions

Well what we asked for was a fix to streaming on good or great network connections

But nonetheless it appears a lot better so far after a few hours of checking

Will monitor over the next week
It seems better, but I'm still getting multiple disconnects on my 2nd camera, again not a WiFi issues as I get a constant 3 out of 4 signal strength.

framic

Post by framic » 23 Jan 2020, 13:54

In the last year (until October/November iirc) I had no problems to view videos in 1080p. After starting the video-playback from the website it took only up to 4 seconds and the resolution was set to 1080p in auto-resolution. Since then I can only see videos in max 720p without any change on configuration. Mostly I only see 360p-high-quality. :-(

Last year I also got automatically a refresh of the still-picture every few seconds watching the web-view without starting the video, but today there is no longer an automatic refresh of the picture for hours. :-(

I have an internet-connection with 100mbit/s down and 40mbit/s up (same as last year), so I think there has something happened on server site. :-(

Oh, I foregot to mention that I have many disconnections of some of my cameras in the last weeks. That is also a new problem occuring without any change of configuration from my site. :-(

Subzero

Post by Subzero » 26 Jan 2020, 19:05

100% having the same issues, as well as random camera resets (offline for over an hour will then just pop back on?), used to give them the benefit of the doubt (thought latest 175 was better), but constant disconnect and 720p best playback level I've had enough! Just give us the option to manually set playback to 1080, and stop the algorithm on your servers dropping cameras offline to save bandwidth (we go through them not direct to the camera for security reasons).

framic

Post by framic » 28 Jan 2020, 08:20

I don't know what happened, but since 24.01.2020 (after my last posting here) I had no more disconnections of my cameras and the cameras often stream at 1080p resolution. :D
I did'nt do anything on my configuration, so I assume that something happened on server site. If it stays that way, I'm satisfied again. :)
Only the automatic refresh of the still-picture every few seconds still doesn't work. It would be nice if this feature comes also back again. ;)

Return to “General questions”