Installing 4 new Smart Outdoor Cameras - Should I Return Them?

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Tock

Installing 4 new Smart Outdoor Cameras - Should I Return Them?

Post by Tock » 26 Jan 2020, 02:19

Ordered 4 presence cameras at the beginning of December and only getting around to figuring how to put them up today. Not much of a diy person and can get frustrated if pc related stuff get buggy.

Is it worth the risk in installing the cameras as there seem to be a few bugs with them according to people on this forum or is it just the ones that are satisfied don’t come on this forum?

I still have a few days where I can return them for a full refund with no problems. The 4 cameras cost almost €1k which is a big outlay for me so I’m getting nervous about putting them up and might have problems returning the cameras afterwards.
Last edited by GEORGzer on 29 Jan 2020, 08:16, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: title changed for better search-ability

vojta66

Re: Should I Return Them?

Post by vojta66 » 26 Jan 2020, 09:37

Cameras are ok...if you are not sure how to install them yourself..why do not arrange electrician etc....
1Welcome(v452), 9 tags (v58), 1Smart Smoke (v108),1Smart Siren (v206)
1 Weather Station(v177), Outdoor module (50),Rain Gauge(v12),Wind Gauge(v25),3 Indoor Modules (v50)
1Thermostat(v72+relay 2nd generation (v210) + 5Valves (v81)
2Presence cameras(v184)

W00dy81

Post by W00dy81 » 26 Jan 2020, 13:32

I would say keep them

I was in the same boat as you but am now turned around

I have been unhappy with my camera up until the latest firmware of 175 which has fixed a lot steaming quality issues.

I contacted support a few weeks ago with videos of quality issues I was having and it seems to have been fixed.

I also submitted a few more minor glitches which they will get pass onto engineers

Tock

Post by Tock » 26 Jan 2020, 17:03

Thanks for the replies. I’ve just hooked the camera to a plug in the kitchen and got it up and going and seem to be working though a bit slow in viewing the recorded videos but I’ll get over that.

Viewing live seem to be ok as well and the half hour that it has been on there’s no disconnections but I guess it’s still early yet.

I’m a bit more confident in it now. Does it make any difference when I install and have all 4 cameras up and going? I mean does it somehow, not sure the terminology, take up more bandwidth from my account slowing down video uploads?

I might ask amazon if they can extend the time I can return them and explain the situation that I couldn’t get around to putting them up. It says on my order I can return them up to the 31st January.

frav

Post by frav » 26 Jan 2020, 18:17

The bandwith of your internet-connection is only used when looking at the video stream. The videos that are captured, are saved locally in camera at the microSD memory card. Only snapshot pictures, when detecting movement, are sent to the Netatmo cloud service.
Fredrik from Sweden
2x Netatmo Urban Weather Station, 6x indoor sensors, 2x Rain Gauge, 2x Wind Gauge
6x Netatmo Presence @ 64GB Kingston High Endurance microSDXC [R95/W30] (SDCE64GB)

Tock

Post by Tock » 26 Jan 2020, 21:16

@frav thanks for that, I thought the whole video is sent to netatmo because people complaining netatmo severs.

Anyways was away a couple of hours and came home and the camera still working away.
Have to say the unit itself is quite warm to the touch. I moved the camera so that it is not facing me in the kitchen while I make dinner and it lost connection.

Went to the app to configure again and it blinked away, presented the qr code to the camera, stopped blinking but still didn’t connect. After a while I switched the power off and on and tried the app again a few times and still no connection.
Strangely I was still getting alerts on my phone of the qr code ok and person detected so the camera was still working but the app says the camera is disconnected.

I gave up and made dinner and I’d say half an hour later it must’ve reconnected again.

All in all maybe I’m just getting used to it so I am hopeful because I really like what it does.
I might pop into the home alarm shop to see the type of cameras available and the price they are for comparison.

Again thanks guys for the quick responses.

frav

Post by frav » 27 Jan 2020, 06:38

I suppose you are thinking of the ones writing about disconnects. I have my cameras on two different sites & haven't got any problems with disconnects. But I have got a high quality UBNT Unifi WiFi network infrastructure on both places & internet connections with high stability.
Fredrik from Sweden
2x Netatmo Urban Weather Station, 6x indoor sensors, 2x Rain Gauge, 2x Wind Gauge
6x Netatmo Presence @ 64GB Kingston High Endurance microSDXC [R95/W30] (SDCE64GB)

Mjspam

Post by Mjspam » 28 Jan 2020, 04:39

I was also unsure, based on the comments in the forum, so I only bought one so far that I hooked up in November. I have not had issues with disconnects or any of the other issues.The only issue I have is the resolution when playing back video. It has gotten better with the last update. But if I download the clip it is crystal clear.

I thought the install instructions were also straightforward and easy to follow. I will likely buy another one soon.

Tock

Post by Tock » 28 Jan 2020, 16:19

Seem to be working away but had a disconnection last night but I think it was the bad Internet connection because of the weather as my YouTube was slowing to a crawl too.

All in all I like what it does but the thing I don’t like is how when it detects movement and starts recording you cannot view live for a couple of minutes until at least after it has uploaded to Dropbox.

I think I’ll install it outside if it stops raining.

@Mjspam the problem I have is the power line I have outside come from above through the eaves as opposed to through the wall. If it wasn’t for that I would’ve installed it outside instead of wiring to a plug and trying it inside first.

GEORGzer

Re: Installing 4 new Smart Outdoor Cameras

Post by GEORGzer » 28 Jan 2020, 16:26

I changed the title of this topic for better search-ability since "Should I Return Them?" alone doesn't really say much about the discussion.

Congrats on your new cameras ;)
Home:
Weather Station (3rd Generation + Rain Gauge, Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules)
2 Valves + Relais (Starter Pack), 5 additional Valves

Office:
Thermostat + Relais (2nd Generation)
Healthy Home Coach
Smart Smoke Alarm

Return to “General questions”