Installing 4 new Smart Outdoor Cameras - Should I Return Them?

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Tock

Re: Installing 4 new Smart Outdoor Cameras - Should I Return Them?

Post by Tock » 02 Feb 2020, 14:31

Have 1 camera outside now and 1 wired to a plug in the kitchen facing a wall at the moment.

Gave them a good test yesterday by walking in front of the outside camera to check out the notifications.

Got up in the morning and went outside and the notification to the phone was about 5 seconds and taking into account my huawei phone for some reason notifications don’t seem to go through unless the app is opened so a good start.

Then a couple of minutes later it disconnected followed by the camera in the kitchen facing a wall. Took about 10 minutes for the camera to reconnect.

Later in the afternoon went in and out of the garden and get the notifications then the camera disconnects followed by the kitchen camera facing the wall.

This went on all afternoon if there is motion detected, at times it took 20 minutes before reconnection of the cameras which I think is caused by me being in the garden longer and it was continuing to record. Don’t understand why the camera in the kitchen gets disconnected as well as there’s no motion there.
There is still notifications coming to my phone even when the cameras are disconnected.

I suspect it disconnects when uploading to Dropbox but the cameras continue to work in that it continues to record but you cannot access them. I know you cannot view live when recording but it’s frustrating that it disconnects and take a while to reconnect.

Woke up this morning and checked app and there was a disconnection at 2am. Walked out to the garden and got notification and disconnected again taking 6 minutes to reconnect.

Granted it still continues to work after disconnected and the fact it’s my first time with security cameras (new gadget) I am wondering if I should keep them.
In theory when working I really like them especially the app, integration with Dropbox and the integrated lights is a big bonus for me. Could well be my internet connection is not up to it. I really want to keep them, if it was just 1 camera I maybe able to live with it but 4 cameras is a lot of money for me if I get annoyed with them more in the future.

Tock

Post by Tock » 03 Feb 2020, 18:56

Was working in the back garden for about 2 hours and left the camera on.

Basically detecting me but constant disconnections and reconnections. Seems like it disconnects every 10 minutes and takes at least 10 minutes to reconnect.

Dropbox filled up pretty quickly and I thought it will automatically delete older files and keep uploading but it just stopped uploading.

After finishing my gardening there seem to be no disconnections.

Really confused as to what I will do. In theory these are great cameras and they do continue to work even during disconnects but I’ll be shitting myself if I was away from the house and I suspect a burglary and the cameras disconnects but they are maybe recording .

GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer » 03 Feb 2020, 19:56

This sounds like your WiFi/Internet connection cutting out every time more data gets transferred.
Home:
Weather Station (3rd Generation + Rain Gauge, Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules)
2 Valves + Relais (Starter Pack), 5 additional Valves

Office:
Thermostat + Relais (2nd Generation)
Healthy Home Coach
Smart Smoke Alarm

Return to “General questions”