Mesh Wifi bug?

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Teejai80

Mesh Wifi bug?

Post by Teejai80 » 11 May 2020, 01:40

Hi, I recently upgraded to a new nest Wifi system. All of my cameras are connected and 3 out of the 4 have very strong signal. However, all of the cameras are randomly disconnecting. I have rebooted both systems and the problem remains.

I setup my old Tp-link router on a different Wifi channel and connected one camera as a test. This morning it was the only unit that didn't disconnect. Is there a bug with the camera's on a mesh Wifi system?

A couple of the cameras are on firmware 1.84 and the rest on 1.79.

It is not interference or Wifi signal strength.

Magilla

Re: Mesh Wifi bug?

Post by Magilla » 11 May 2020, 05:37

Hello,
Personally I have Nest Wifi with 4 caméras and have no problem.
If this can help

Teejai80

Post by Teejai80 » 11 May 2020, 09:54

I should also add that when I I upgraded I used the same ssid as existing so everything just swapped over. The weather station worked fine.

Chriserx

Post by Chriserx » 13 May 2020, 10:22

I’ll pitch in and say that I have a Linksys Velop mesh, the outdoor cameras stay connected but only to the primary node which is indoors, even though a node is sitting literally within 20 feet of a Presence camera

Hendrix1000

Post by Hendrix1000 » 13 May 2020, 10:44

Hi!

I have the same problem while using a mesh-WIFI, but not with the outdoor-cams, but with the indoor-security-cam. I am using a AVM-router (FritzBox 7490) and AVM-repeaters (3 FritzRepeater 1200).

Regards

Teejai80

Post by Teejai80 » 14 May 2020, 11:28

I put in a service request, following is my answer.

"The cameras normally work with mesh networks. The problem is that they will not necessarily connect to the nearest access point .
Once they find an access point, they stay connected, even if the quality of the connection is not great.
That's why it does not work very well with mesh networks, and we recommend using different SSIDs for each access point."

Here is the problem though. 3/4 cameras have a very good Wifi strength connection. It's also very very random on the disconnects, two cameras just went two days without any. I think this should be a software fix so that the cameras do connect to the strongest Wifi signal.

My one test camera on it's own ssid hasn't disconnected at all. I guess I'll just have to move all the Cameras over.

ekhalil

Post by ekhalil » 06 Jul 2020, 13:42

I have Netgear Orbi RBK852 (Orbi AX). When the nearest AP to the Netatmo Presence reboots for any reason then the Netatmo Presence will connect to the far AP, but after a while it will change automatically to the nearest AP (the AP with better coverage). I think this is because of a feature called "Band Steering" in Orbi AX mesh router.
2 x Netatmo Welcome
1 x Netatmo Presence

Return to “General questions”