Camera usage rear garden

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
jamie9292

Camera usage rear garden

Post by jamie9292 » 19 May 2020, 20:18

Hello, I was thinking of replacing my outside rear flood light with the camera, so it can be used as a normal light in the evening if we are outside but also as a security camera/ motion sensing light when we are not outside.

In this situation, would I have to disable alert mode each time I was outside and in the garden, to prevent the camera from constantly recording unnecessarily? I was hoping for a better integration with HomeKit if I am honest. For example:

1. If nobody is at home then the camera functions as a security camera and will alert for movement and activate floodlight at full beam
2. If somebody is at home and it is between hours of 8am and 10pm then do not alert
3. If somebody is at home then act as security camera between hours of 10pm and 8am.

Is it possible to do something clever like this? All I see in HomeKit is that it can notify on "motion detected", you can't even be so granular as above.

Thanks for any suggestion.

jamie9292

Re: Camera usage rear garden

Post by jamie9292 » 25 May 2020, 09:46

Hi, is anyone able to assist with this?
Thanks

mguerreiro

Post by mguerreiro » 29 May 2020, 11:36

It is not a feature out of the box.

But I think you can build something like that with the API

Check this IFTTT integrations and some of them can work:
https://ifttt.com/netatmo_security

Like: When you leave an area Netatmo security set home empty

Regards,
Manuel

Mjspam

Post by Mjspam » 30 May 2020, 03:31

Im not an expert with the Apple Home app, but I don’t think it’s the Homekit integration that is the problem, it is the limited options in the Home app that is the problem.

You can set the light to turn on when motion is sensed between certain hours, or use the app to just turn the light on at night, if you are outside. And you can control which motion type triggers the light and recording.

You will have better options by using the Eve app for creating scenes and automations instead. Or maybe someone can suggest a better app.

The one caveat is the notifications. I’m not sure if you can turn off alerts for certain time periods. It is a nuisance. I hope Netatmo improves the alerting options in the near future.

Owenlars

Post by Owenlars » 03 Jun 2020, 15:29

Why not just turn alerts off when you are sitting near it? You shouldn’t need to do anything to the light as it will detect you and remain on. Having said that it is the work of a few seconds to switch light on full time.

Return to “General questions”