Change SD Card

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
meboot

Re: Change SD Card

Post by meboot » 30 Nov 2016, 11:37

jofre wrote:Hi,
Indeed, our English website displayed by mistake that Presence is shipped with a 16Gb card when it's actually an 8Gb card. This has been corrected.
We are sorry about that.
Regards,
Mistakes happen. I think everyone should accept that and shouldn't consider making a case for it. Remember, it's just five bucks or so…

ashpole

Post by ashpole » 30 Nov 2016, 11:43

Please don't delete posts, it just goes to show you're not handling the situation.

I've repeatedly asked for the correct procedure to change the SD Card but no official advice has been offered. If people will be upgrading from 8GB to a larger card then at least explain how to do this correctly.

Una Real

Post by Una Real » 30 Nov 2016, 12:06

meboot wrote:
Indeed, our English website displayed by mistake that Presence is shipped with a 16Gb card when it's actually an 8Gb card. This has been corrected.
We are sorry about that.
Regards,
Mistakes happen. I think everyone should accept that and shouldn't consider making a case for it. Remember, it's just five bucks or so…
Yes, mistakes happen. If this was merely a typo mistake on the English website it could possibly be overlooked. But how does one account for all the reviews stating it comes with an 16 GB card? Were those also just typos? And, if so, why didn't someone from Netatmo correct the reviewers? It seems to me that at some point, at least, Netatmo intended to include a 16 GB card.

You are absolutely correct in pointing out the small difference in price between an 8 GB and 16 GB card. But the amount of video they are able to hold is quite different. And the unfortunate people who thought they were buying a unit that holds twice as much video as the one shipped to them are now faced with the daunting process of changing the card. Daunting because there are absolutely no instructions available on how to do this and there is apparently a risk of water contamination if not done correctly. So it's not just a matter of a few dollars is it?

vojta66

Post by vojta66 » 30 Nov 2016, 12:30

Deleting post via Netatmo censorship is really funny. Why?
Yes, difference in between 8 and 16!GB is only a few bucks, right. But only the n case you are replacing the Only one SD card. If you are about to replace thousands of SD cards ......huh? :arrow:
1Welcome(v456), 9 tags (v58), 1Smart Smoke (v108),1Smart Siren (v206)
1 Weather Station(v178), Outdoor module (50),Rain Gauge(v12),Wind Gauge(v25),3 Indoor Modules (v50)
1Thermostat(v72+relay 2nd generation (v210) + 5Valves (v81)
2Presence cameras(v194 )

meboot

Post by meboot » 30 Nov 2016, 12:40

Una Real wrote:
meboot wrote:
We are sorry about that.
Regards,
Yes, mistakes happen. If this was merely a typo mistake on the English website it could possibly be overlooked. But how does one account for all the reviews stating it comes with an 16 GB card? Were those also just typos? And, if so, why didn't someone from Netatmo correct the reviewers? It seems to me that at some point, at least, Netatmo intended to include a 16 GB card.

You are absolutely correct in pointing out the small difference in price between an 8 GB and 16 GB card. But the amount of video they are able to hold is quite different. And the unfortunate people who thought they were buying a unit that holds twice as much video as the one shipped to them are now faced with the daunting process of changing the card. Daunting because there are absolutely no instructions available on how to do this and there is apparently a risk of water contamination if not done correctly. So it's not just a matter of a few dollars is it?
I understand your disappointment. However, I think it is just a matter of a couple of bucks (see attached screenshot). Changing the SD card should not be a problem as it is described at the beginning of this thread. Water ingression by changing the card should not be a problem as long as you will not do it on a rainy day. Winter time is perfect for changing the card, as you will find many cold days with an extremely low humidity.
To fathom the cause of this $3.26 mistake is ridiculous. I state that it was just an oversight – annoying but such is life. You state that Netatmo deliberately humbug its customers to make a little piece of extra money or to escape this situation niftily. For the reason of illustration, let's crush some numbers, and then you think about your argumentation again:
Netatmo sold 100k Presence units. By adding an 8GB card instead of a 16GB card, they save 3.26$ per unit. That makes in total $326.000 fewer costs for Netatmo, or in reverse $326.000 more profit. Would that be worth destroying your brand name? Actually, not. Would you then directly correct the mistake on your website? Most likely not. Here we are calculating with prices taken from Amazon. I promise you when buying 100k SD cards in Asia the price difference will be much less. Maybe just 50 cents. As a company, would you risk your customers suing you for 50k more profit? No, you won't!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 12.18.02.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 12.18.02.jpg (70.46 KiB) Viewed 493 times

Una Real

Post by Una Real » 30 Nov 2016, 12:51

Excuse me, meboot - but I agreed with you about the cost of the card not being a factor. Think you should read the posts in the forums about people's confusion about where the card is and how to get to it - and also the consideration of needing to grease the contacts, etc.

This entire process needs to be clearly spelled out by Netatmo and I would suggest also making it a "sticky". One should not need to do a search for something that I imagine a lot of customers will need to be doing.

meboot

Post by meboot » 30 Nov 2016, 13:15

Una Real wrote:Excuse me, meboot - but I agreed with you about the cost of the card not being a factor. Think you should read the posts in the forums about people's confusion about where the card is and how to get to it - and also the consideration of needing to grease the contacts, etc.

This entire process needs to be clearly spelled out by Netatmo and I would suggest also making it a "sticky". One should not need to do a search for something that I imagine a lot of customers will need to be doing.
Nice that we agree on the costs. I agree with you on the poor manual.
I read the posts and suggest procedes like this: https://goo.gl/u9N0j5 :shock:
Using a swipe of dielectric grease is common among GoPro users, so I assume it is the same procedure for the Presence. You can get dielectric grease here https://goo.gl/dzEI9z

Una Real

Post by Una Real » 30 Nov 2016, 14:00

meboot wrote:Nice that we agree on the costs. I agree with you on the poor manual.
I read the posts and suggest procedes like this: https://goo.gl/u9N0j5 :shock:
Using a swipe of dielectric grease is common among GoPro users, so I assume it is the same procedure for the Presence. You can get dielectric grease here https://goo.gl/dzEI9z
Thanks for the info. Good to know I'm on the right track - ordered CRC dielectric grease from Home Depot the other day (after some online research) and am picking it up this morning. But wasn't quite sure it was the right stuff for the job. Hopefully, that should do the trick.

EDIT: Am wondering -- if only swapping the card once, does one even need to add additional grease to the new card, or will there be enough already in the housing to assure the new card also has a thin coating of grease?

What got me thinking is - if more grease does need to be applied to the new card - does it need to be same as already in there (Super Lube, I believe) or will any popular brand of dielectric grease be compatible with the grease already in the housing? I don't have Super Lube (hard to find in small quantity locally), but have found CRC brand dielectric grease.

UPDATE: After more research, have decided using a different brand of grease other than the one Netatmo uses (Super Lube Synthetic Grease, I think) is a bad idea. Compatibility between different brands is apparently a crap shoot. So why take a chance? Have ordered the Super Lube online.
Last edited by Una Real on 01 Dec 2016, 13:11, edited 3 times in total.

ashpole

Post by ashpole » 30 Nov 2016, 14:31

I'm not being funny, but where does the grease need putting. By definition it's an insulator, so I'm assuming you don't wipe it on to the contacts but over the contacts once connected to the socket - if so I'd need to squirt the grease into the hole and down the sides of the card...

sendmartin

Post by sendmartin » 04 Jan 2017, 18:22

ashpole wrote:I'm not being funny, but where does the grease need putting. By definition it's an insulator, so I'm assuming you don't wipe it on to the contacts but over the contacts once connected to the socket - if so I'd need to squirt the grease into the hole and down the sides of the card...
I asked the following to Netatmo:
Can you please advise if there are any special instructions for replacing the SD card. All that I have done is open up the bottom of the unit and insert a replacement card. But I noticed that the original card has some grease on it. Does something need to be greased to continue working properly?

They replied:
The way you replaced the SD card is fine, the grease is normal and you don't have to add more than there already is.

My brand new SD card recently failed again after just 2 weeks use!

Return to “General questions”