Bring back Logitech Alert

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
GrahamC

Bring back Logitech Alert

Post by GrahamC » 13 Dec 2016, 13:04

Posting some feedback as the Presence system is so close to being good - but has some fundamental issues.
I come from 5 years experience of the Logitech Alert system - which has been fab, but is no longer available.

Presence
Whats good...
1) UI and thumbnail representation
2) Setup & connection
3) Ease of viewing recordings
4) Floodlight

What is not good..
1) Video quality is very poor, both day and night (fundamental really & much worse than my old Logitech Alert camera)
2) Video lag - 8 to 10 seconds - way too long (much worse than my old Logitech Alert camera)
3) Crashed a few times (Logitech did not)
4) No PC monitoring app for local PC notifications (you can leave the web app going, but it randomly stops, and you miss the alert)
5) Inverted view (for upside down mounting)
6) No email on alert facility
7) No convinced the viewing angle is 100 degrees?

Summary - this is a very expensive floodlight with a low quality camera attached. I want to replace my current system and was hoping this was the answer - unfortunately its not

I post in the hope that this will be read and fed back to improve the offering.

G

vojta66

Re: Bring back Logitech Alert

Post by vojta66 » 13 Dec 2016, 13:20

I fully agree with GrahamC.

Hey Neteatmo, are you listening?
Please !
1Welcome(v452), 9 tags (v58), 1Smart Smoke (v108),1Smart Siren (v206)
1 Weather Station(v177), Outdoor module (50),Rain Gauge(v12),Wind Gauge(v25),3 Indoor Modules (v50)
1Thermostat(v72+relay 2nd generation (v210) + 5Valves (v81)
2Presence cameras(v184)

Florian Netatmo

Post by Florian Netatmo » 13 Dec 2016, 15:09

Dear Graham, Dear Vojta

Thank you very much for your feedbacks, they are very valuable for us as we work hard to improve our products.

Let me please answer to each point you raised

1) Video quality is very poor, both day and night (fundamental really & much worse than my old Logitech Alert camera)
2) Video lag - 8 to 10 seconds - way too long (much worse than my old Logitech Alert camera)
To give you the best viewing experience, Presence adjusts the quality of the video stream based on the speed of your Internet connection. The quality is best when Presence and your smartphone/tablet/computer are both on your home network.

May I ask what do you mean by "crashes"? Is it disconnection? Is it reboot? That would be really helpful.

4) No PC monitoring app for local PC notifications (you can leave the web app going, but it randomly stops, and you miss the alert)
Which browser and which version of it are you using ?

Coming in the next release!

Presence is IFTTT compatible. You can set up your own recipe at: https://ifttt.com/create/if?sid=4
To receive emails about human for instance:
Step 1: choose the "Netatmo Security" service
Step 2: choose the "A person has been seen outside" trigger
Step 3: Select your camera and click "Create Trigger"
Step 4: choose the "Email" service - "Send me an Email"
Step 5: customize your email and click on "Create action"

You can do the same process for cars and animals according to your needs, as you can link Presence to other Smart Home devices !

Artificial Intelligence needs pixels to analyse and recognize what's in the field of view of the camera. The wider the angle is, the shorter the recognition goes. To be able to detect people more than 20m away, 100 degrees is the perfect compromise.

I would also like to know what is the exact model of the Logitech Alert camera you talked about, I am very interested in testing it :)

I hope this helps!

Have a lovely day,
Florian

Una Real

Post by Una Real » 13 Dec 2016, 15:19

Florian Netatmo wrote:Dear Graham, Dear Vojta

Thank you very much for your feedbacks, they are very valuable for us as we work hard to improve our products.

To give you the best viewing experience, Presence adjusts the quality of the video stream based on the speed of your Internet connection. The quality is best when Presence and your smartphone/tablet/computer are both on your home network.
Hello Florian - could you please comment on the quality of the recorded video. Is that also adjusted according to the speed of the connection or is the recorded video all at the same quality (basically)? Thanks!

kiboost

Post by kiboost » 13 Dec 2016, 15:21

About video quality, my Presences are on a 250Mbs (tested) wifi, with internet connection on 500mbs fiber. For example, on iPhone connected on my local wifi network, I download 100Mo files in a second or less. So I guess I would have top notch video quality, but we are far from that, with very low bitrate. Also, the 10sec lag for live is unacceptable.
php-simpleNetatmoAPI Simple to use php API based on official API.

Florian Netatmo

Post by Florian Netatmo » 13 Dec 2016, 15:30

Hi all,

Recorded quality is always full HD 1080p

Thanks for your feedbacks
Florian

kiboost

Post by kiboost » 13 Dec 2016, 15:59

full HD 1080p means nothing regarding quality, it's a resolution ! at 3mbs this is extremely poor for 1920x1200px !
php-simpleNetatmoAPI Simple to use php API based on official API.

Una Real

Post by Una Real » 13 Dec 2016, 16:18

kiboost wrote:full HD 1080p means nothing regarding quality, it's a resolution ! at 3mbs this is extremely poor for 1920x1200px !
Agreed. Kind of like asking how much someone weighs and being told they are 6 feet tall.

You may find this thread of interest. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7321

GrahamC

Post by GrahamC » 13 Dec 2016, 19:26

Hi Florian,
Thanks for getting back to me - please see below for my comments...
Florian Netatmo wrote:Dear Graham, Dear Vojta

Everything is on my home network, and I have full wifi signal with good bit rate - its as good as it can be. The picture quality is just not good enough through low bit rate

May I ask what do you mean by "crashes"? Is it disconnection? Is it reboot? That would be really helpful.

Its done both on more than a few occaiosn (but hasnt locked since the firmware update)

Which browser and which version of it are you using ?

Chrome 56

Coming in the next release!

Great! :)

Presence is IFTTT compatible. You can set up your own recipe at: https://ifttt.com/create/if?sid=4
To receive emails about human for instance:
Step 1: choose the "Netatmo Security" service
Step 2: choose the "A person has been seen outside" trigger
Step 3: Select your camera and click "Create Trigger"
Step 4: choose the "Email" service - "Send me an Email"
Step 5: customize your email and click on "Create action"

Good to know thanks :)

You can do the same process for cars and animals according to your needs, as you can link Presence to other Smart Home devices !

Artificial Intelligence needs pixels to analyse and recognize what's in the field of view of the camera. The wider the angle is, the shorter the recognition goes. To be able to detect people more than 20m away, 100 degrees is the perfect compromise.

Yes but if you put the camera in the corner of two walls at 90 degrees you cant see both walls?

I would also like to know what is the exact model of the Logitech Alert camera you talked about, I am very interested in testing it :)

Logitech Alert - they stopped making it a few years ago as it "not there business focus" :? , but nothing has come close in terms of price/preformance/ease of use. I caught two car thieves with it (at night) sadly there is no way the Presence picture quality is good enough to do that

I hope this helps!

Have a lovely day,
Florian

kthemall

Post by kthemall » 14 Dec 2016, 08:15

good morning!

the bitrate on 1080 full hd is only 3mbps. why do you not double up to 3mbps? because of the sd-card capacity? because the built in cam does not deliver it? please let us know.

i think you read the feature requests netatmo, do you? answers to that questions would be fine

thx tom

Return to “General questions”