"Can't connect" after WiFi setup

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
jefish

"Can't connect" after WiFi setup

Post by jefish »

Got a Presence camera yesterday, fired it up on my workbench, connected it to wifiA and finished the setup, then moved it outside. I turns out that wifiA coverage in that area is weak, so I decided to reconnect it to my wifi extender (wifiB). This is a much bigger hassle than it needs to be, since the camera has to be removed from my account and set up from scratch. Why in the world can't we just change the wifi name/key??

Anyway, with the camera mounted, I could get all the way through wifiB setup and see the "this device is now connected to wifiB" message, but after that I'd get either "an unexpected error has occurred" or "your device cannot connect with the camera at this point." Ok, so maybe the extender was acting funny, decided to move it back to the main wifiA connection. It was slow, but at least was functional.

Same errors there too.

So I unmounted the camera, brought it back down to the workbench about 3' from my router, went through all the setup steps again. Same problem, same errors.

Now that I've removed the camera from my account, it appears that I've somehow "broken" it. Also notable is that the first time I set up the camera, it began flashing as soon as I plugged it in (pairing mode?). Now, though, I MUST flash the QR code in front of the lens for the camera to proceed with setup.

What the heck happened?
jefish

Re: "Can't connect" after WiFi setup

Post by jefish »

Note that after the first setup and wall mounting, the camera was working fine, the data transmission was just a bit slow. Now it's completely boned, I can't even get it set up the way it was.
jofre_netatmo

Post by jofre_netatmo »

Hi jefish,

Sorry to read your camera is having trouble to connect to internet. Please, try to install it on your WiFi extender (wifiB) and take a screenshot at the moment the error appears.
Then contact the Customer Service so we can help you. Remember to provide also the serial number of your Presence camera.

Also, I wanted to point out that you don't need to set up a camera from scratch and remove it from your account to change the WiFi configuration.
You can do that from the settings menu => [home name] => [camera name] => Configure network.

The reason you don't need to show the QR code for the first setup is that the camera has no configuration at all and it starts pairing mode automatically.
Once the camera has been setup, it keeps the WiFi configuration and the only way to change it is with your unique key, a QR code. Otherwise anyone could install your camera to their account.

Hope this helps,
Jofre - Netatmo Team
jefish

Post by jefish »

Thanks for the tips, I have no idea how I missed the Configure Network" option. Wowwww I could have saved myself a lot of grief by being more attentive! ;)

Update: After trying a few more times on my iPhone, I grabbed my Android tablet to have another go. Interestingly, I was prompted to turn on Bluetooth during setup, which then succeeded. Is BT required for setup? I *may* have had BT on when I initially set up the camera with my iPhone, I don't recall, but it was not on during the re-setup attempts. If it is required, it's odd that the iOS app didn't prompt me.

In any case, it's working now, maybe I'll get brave and try the extender again using the proper method. :)

On a side note, now that I've set it up again from scratch, I have two homes; One with a camera and one without. Is the best way to remove the old home to just remove the last user from it?
jofre_netatmo

Post by jofre_netatmo »

Hi,

Glad to know it finally worked. We'll try to make the "Configure network" option more clear so it's not missed out.

Concerning the installation method, no, the installation from an iOS device doesn't use Bluetooth, just WiFi. Bluetooth is only used by the Android installer.

As for the empty home, it is indeed useless to keep it. When you remove all the users from it the home will be automatically deleted.

Regards,
Jofre - Netatmo Team
Tiuri

Post by Tiuri »

jofre wrote:Hi,

Bluetooth is only used by the Android installer.
It would be extremely helpful if you put this kind of information in the manual or somewhere in the app during setup!!!
Juhan

Post by Juhan »

How about iPad instalation, iPad (IOS 10.2) can Make Bluetooth-connection to Presence, iPhone (IOS 10.2) not. Is installation with iPad better than with iPhone ? I have same problems, Zycel WAP3205 is in ap-moode and connected with wds-brige to second Zycel WAP3205. Netatmo Weather Station runs ok in the first, but Presence do not ? After the last instalatin step with iPhone (and iPad) the Wi-Fi connection breaks down. The first Zycel WAP3205 runs fine with wireless Weather Stations ans iPhone and iPad ? I have three Welcome connected with Ethernet-cable to the first Zycel WAP3205, works fine. Same instalation problems with Netatmo Tags and Presence with the first Zycel WAP3205 ?
Juhan

Post by Juhan »

No peoblems any more, the new Presence Is working very fine.

Return to “General questions”