Is it worth buying?

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
ZyBeR

Is it worth buying?

Post by ZyBeR » 01 Feb 2017, 09:51

Hi guys,

I've been interested in the Presence since it was announced but all the negative comments here has kept me from pulling the trigger.
I'm currently using a 5MP HikVision Wifi camera on my garage overviewing my house, the presence would sit at the front door to keep track of people.

I like the face it's using wifi and that it's hard wired into the power, this makes for a nice installation, which is not possible with another HikVision camera.
So to keep it simple, my questions are:

1. How good the the motion detection? Will it trigger on lights from cars? Shadows from trees etc?
2. Can it send push notifications with an image so that I know who's at the door (while I'm home so it needs to be rather quick)
3. Can anyone post a few images of what I can expect in terms of image quality?
4. Is there a live feed I can hook up to 3rd party software like Blue Iris and through that do 24/7 recording?

Thanks!

doodlewalker

Re: Is it worth buying?

Post by doodlewalker » 01 Feb 2017, 17:25

Short answer on your criteria : no way.

Longer answer, to you points first

1. Motion Detection - for me it's worked quite well, and seems to be pretty good at only triggering on relevant thiungs and also getting them right, BUT for others on this forum not so much.
2. Someone at the door - Yes, it will send push notifications but not until they are halfway down the road, it's just too slow, the best response times I've had have been > 8 seconds. More importantly when the camera detects and event and is recording it's way to slow to use it to see who is there, live video is 10sec+ delayed by Netatmo's own admission maing it all but useless as a real time monitoring system and infuriating If you used to an existing system.
3. Image Quality - oh dear, it's awful. I run a 4MP Hikvision DS-2CD2642FWD-IS and an old Logitch Alert 720p next to the Netatmo and both of them crucify the Presence on quality, away at moment but will post comparison when back. In fact it's so bad we don't use the video anymore it's just an intelligent spotlight, I was hoping to replace my existing setup but absolutely no chance and glad I left them in place.
4. No, you can see a "live" (live in the loosest terms) via the webapp or mobile app but no connection to Blue Iris (which I also use), the live view is piped via VPN so no local connection.

Netatmo state they will address some issues in firmware updates, but it's got a long way to go before it can be deemed an effective security device (apart from spotlight).

Really disappointed with this "camera", especially next to my existing setup, too slow, quality too bad. It's basically a smart security light at the moment.

Una Real

Post by Una Real » 01 Feb 2017, 17:47

Just posted a very detailed 2 star review on Amazon.com you may find worth reading.

jueti

Post by jueti » 01 Feb 2017, 18:29

Hi Una Real,
just read your amazon review and have to say: two thumbs up !

Great summary laid down in an absolutely understandable clear wording, even for newbies and those who do not own this floodlight.

I am curious if anyone from the NETATMO customer support team will reply on that review ...

kiboost

Post by kiboost » 01 Feb 2017, 18:31

Could you point a direct link to it ? Always end to french amazon here
php-simpleNetatmoAPI Simple to use php API based on official API.

Una Real

Post by Una Real » 01 Feb 2017, 18:38

jueti wrote:Hi Una Real,
just read your amazon review and have to say: two thumbs up !

Great summary laid down in an absolutely understandable clear wording, even for newbies and those who do not own this floodlight.

I am curious if anyone from the NETATMO customer support team will reply on that review ...
Thanks for your comments - tried to keep it unbiased and factual without letting my frustration color my conclusions too much. At one point the Netatmo support comment/reply bot was lurking there. Will be interesting to see if it leaves the standard reply. Would actually be pretty comical if it did. :lol:

ZyBeR

Post by ZyBeR » 01 Feb 2017, 19:00

Thanks for all replies and especially to Un Real for the very detailed review.

Do we think some of these issues can/will be resolved in future firmwares?
For you that own the Welcome, does it's motion detection work better?
Does the sensor seam good enough so the image quality can be increased to a good level by software updates only, or does it also come down to bad hardware?

Slim

Post by Slim » 01 Feb 2017, 19:12

I have to say Una Real......This might be the review of the year!

A five star review :)
Proud owner of Netatmo weather station, rain and wind gauge.
Also...I guess I'm a involuntary Presence beta tester. Two of them :)

ldplusse

Post by ldplusse » 01 Feb 2017, 19:39

I just have to say, that i love my 2 Presence cameras.
I dont have any problems with it detecting the wrong movement.

Yes the quality of the video is not the best. But the way it is presented in the app and in push messages i just perfect.

Dont be to alarmed about all the fuss some people make. Someone is having problems and is making very much noise.
I dont know any other camera, that can do any motion detection that is even close to what the Presence can do.

I will buy more over time.

Return to “General questions”