Have Had Enough of This!

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Una Real

Have Had Enough of This!

Post by Una Real » 01 Feb 2017, 16:22

Firmware 87 arrived along with great hopes recognition of animals as animals instead of as people would be vastly improved. Well guess what - so far this morning; a squirrel, a blue jay and a morning dove have all been identified as people. And the day is young!

So much for Netatmo's claims about the ability of Presence to learn. This is simply pathetic. Am putting the finishing touches on my very detailed 2 star Amazon.com review and will be posting it today. So long Netatmo!

UPDATE: Have posted a very detailed review on Amazon.com comparing Netatmo's marketing claims with my actual experience.

Slim

Re: Have Had Enough of This!

Post by Slim » 01 Feb 2017, 18:47

Hi

I have never had any recognition issues except when IR leds are on and its snowing. Detected as a car.
And a few random recognition fails when there is water on the lens. Person/animal seen.
Never had issues with birds, cats e.g. detected as a person, on any fw version.

Strange :?
Proud owner of Netatmo weather station, rain and wind gauge.
Also...I guess I'm a involuntary Presence beta tester. Two of them :)

ldplusse

Post by ldplusse » 01 Feb 2017, 19:42

Slim wrote:Hi

I have never had any recognition issues except when IR leds are on and its snowing. Detected as a car.
And a few random recognition fails when there is water on the lens. Person/animal seen.
Never had issues with birds, cats e.g. detected as a person, on any fw version.

Strange :?
Perfect.

i have the exact same positive experience.

But very few people in this forum is making VERY much noise, with there bad experience.
That is sad, because they are scaring other people away.

jueti

Post by jueti » 01 Feb 2017, 19:56

Look at all the amazon shops (com, de, fr, ...) and you get the image that this are not "few" being disappointed or even not satisfied with the delivered product.

It is not to make people get scared, but to let them know.

We have bought two units ourselves, they ran smoothly for some weeks, and when cold weather and freezing temperatures came up all the trouble others had already reported started here as well.

Coincidence ?

Una Real

Post by Una Real » 01 Feb 2017, 23:17

I am very happy for those who haven't had any recognition errors. Or just a few. I can only report on what my own experiences have been. And I think it's important for others to know, in case they're experiencing similar problems. And of course it's important for Netatmo to not only be aware of these things, but also to the degree that they're occurring. If no one reported on errors or shortcomings, there would be little chance of product improvements to fix things.

If one has the patience to observe things over time to determine if something is indeed a problem and not just some anomaly, and takes care to give detailed accounts when describing problems, I view that as constructive criticism. Admittedly, sometimes its is difficult to not let increasing frustration creep into the mix. And everyone has limits in terms of how much benefit of doubt they're willing to give.

If one were to take the time to read all the posts I've made here about Presence, it should be clear that many of them have been to hopefully help clarify and set things straight when someone has mistakenly criticized a feature. Or just needed help. And I have said positive things about things that are working as they should.

Let me be clear - I have a LOT of wildlife. Have said that many times. And I suspect it must be merely a matter of numbers and playing the odds. Kind of like someone having driven a car for 10,000 miles and reporting that serious problems have occurred, when others have the same model car and had no problems to speak of, but have driven comparatively few miles.

In any case, I am finished reporting about the problems I've encountered. Some would call it complaining. The only time I would have a reason to post here again would be to share the good news that my problems have been fixed. And I would definitely be happy to do so.

Oh yeah, if some new problem raises its ugly head - you're gonna hear about it from me. ;)

skinnedpt

Post by skinnedpt » 20 Feb 2017, 01:07

I have a Black German shepherd Dog and keeps recognize every moviment as a person :(
I try to improve recogniziton, correct every fake notification but keeps say my dog as a person.

Johan_Netatmo

Post by Johan_Netatmo » 20 Feb 2017, 10:56

Take a look at the change logs viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7283 you'll see detection has not changed in this version. That doesn't mean we are not working on it. IA improvement is not that simple and take some times.

Hozzi

Post by Hozzi » 20 Feb 2017, 11:51

I have to say I haven't had any recognition issues apart from a deer occasionally recognised as a person, but this is quite understandable.

skinnedpt

Post by skinnedpt » 06 Mar 2017, 17:05

Same problem persists after one month.
My german black shepherd dog every night (and sometimes at day), recognizes as a person.
My dog sleeps in front of camera so at night i receive lot of false notifications.

I correct every false notification, i contact netatmo on twitter (no aswnser), i choose to share my data with netatmo and still no news about that.
So if the camera don't distinguish a dog from one person i don't see the purpose of notifications and you are mislead consumers.

I don't understand too why welcome have face recognzition and the presence no.

jofre_netatmo

Post by jofre_netatmo » 06 Mar 2017, 17:12

Hello,
Please note that most detection improvements actually take effect when there is a firmware update.
We keep working on improving the algorithms, stay tuned for the next update on https://forum.netatmo.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7283.
As for face recognition with Welcome, Presence uses a different technology than face recognition to analyse and report people, cars and animals. It works by detecting the entire shape of a moving object. Therefore, Presence can see a person from a distance and recognize that it is a person even when their faces are too small and too far to be recognized by the human eye.
Regards,
Jofre - Netatmo Team

Return to “General questions”