Support for Echo Show?

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Kay

Support for Echo Show?

Post by Kay »

Hi,

are you guys planning to support Amazon's new Echo Show device with a new (or updated) skill, so that the video feed of Presence cameras can be displayed on the Echo Show screen?

I already have 2 Presence cameras and would really love to use them along with Echo Show. For the time being, when it comes to outdoor cameras, only cameras from Ring and Nest seem to be supported with a Echo Show skill. Those Ring things are not really an alternative, and the Nests aren't either because of their subscription model. And even if there would be an acceptable alternative, I would rather keep my Presences because I love them. But I feel that Echo Show support will be a must-have for me sooner or later... :-)

Thanks in advance!
ob-y

Re: Support for Echo Show?

Post by ob-y »

+1
Kay

Re: Support for Echo Show?

Post by Kay »

Ok, no reply probably means it's not coming...

I have replaced one of my Presences with a Ring Floodlight now. Works like a charm with Echo Show, and adds the capatility of 2-way-audio communication. Obvious and very-hard-to-accept downside is their subscription model of course. 30 Bucks per year for one camera doesn't really hurt me, but I have a 2nd Presence, and if I replace that one also, it's 60 bucks. Still not really hurting me, but still hard to accept...

On the other hand, when I look at those camera soluitions that do work with Echo Show, and how the respective skill works, I doubt that this will be possible for Presence at all. Both the Ring and the Arlo skill connect to the respective cloud servers and stream the video from there. Since there is no cloud for Presence (which usually is a big advantage), a potential Presence skill would somehow need to access the camera locally. While this shouldn't be a problem from a technical perspetive, I don't think that this will ever come. Instead I believe that only cloud-based camera systems will work with Echo Show.

Apart from their subscription model, I like the Ring Floodlight camera. Even if it is cloud-based, there is almost no delay in the video stream (maybe 2-3 seconds or so). Presence live stream always has a delay of 10+ seconds even if it's local.

But the subscription model... :?:

Will need to sleep over this for some another nights. But I'm afraid I will end up sticking to the Ring system because the Echo Show integration and the 2-way-audio thing are both really really cool... Maybe I won't replace the 2nd Presence, which doesn't really make a lot of sense anyway (got it for a very nice price), and will end up with one Ring only, paying those bloody 30 bucks...

Return to “General questions”