write_presence scope

The Netatmo API is a set of webservices allowing developers and third parties to access Netatmo device's data.
Patate

Re: write_presence scope

Post by Patate » 18 Apr 2017, 11:12

I just heard this week-end of the PHP script mentioned above without getting all the context here (and not seeing this topic yet). So I tried to directly use the API endpoints with the OAuth2 authentication using a "write_presence" scope that I thought it was just not documented, and then I got a HTTP 403 Forbidden when calling the /api/updatehome endpoint.

So it means that after 6 months, Netatmo is not yet able to provide the same endpoint that the webapp uses by just using the Oauth2 authentication ? Do they really have developers ? Why should it take more than 4 weeks if they already have the scope for that ? Honestly, I'm very angry about Netatmo. Given my camera is giving me a lot of notifications because it's not able to correctly discover humans or vehicles (and rather put notifications anytime clouds or shadows go forward my camera), I'd rather think it could be very important for Netatmo to give a way to users to modify that either using the API or IFTTT, nope ?

kiboost

Post by kiboost » 18 Apr 2017, 19:06

Hi Patate,

Indeed, Presence API is available since November. You can check it here:
https://dev.netatmo.com/resources/techn ... troduction

Since that, no news. I've ask sdk support to have write_presence scope in my Netatmo app, they basically send me out with no arguments...

That's why I finally did this API which is fully featured and finally allow me to do all stuff automated with php scripts.

Maybe Netatmo have not enough API users to think it is important. When myself, think even for a few users, this is something very important for interoperability and some 'advanced' users who just want more from their product. Go figure...

Several different people use this custom API for a month now without problems, myself I use it everyday to enable/disable notifications automatically, no more need to go into the app.
php-simpleNetatmoAPI Simple to use php API based on official API.

Patate

Post by Patate » 19 Apr 2017, 12:46

kiboost wrote: Since that, no news. I've ask sdk support to have write_presence scope in my Netatmo app, they basically send me out with no arguments...
The 'write_presence' scope is undocumented so I guess it's not publicly available yet (or just a miss ?). That said, it's faitly easy to guess it since the 'write_welcome' scope already exists and when testing thru the OAuth2 authorization code authentication flow, you see it appearing on the Netatmo dialog window.

That makes the user experience even more terrible. I was so happy to guess it that when I tried playing with the /api/updatehome endpoint, I was uttermosly angry to see I was still getting a HTTP403 even when providing the right scope.
I still don't get what is blocking them to publish the scope and allow users with that scope to play with the above endpoint ?
kiboost wrote: That's why I finally did this API which is fully featured and finally allow me to do all stuff automated with php scripts.
Glad you did, it helps people with minimal technical knowledge to be able to use the API. That said, it still requires your script to be hosted somewhere with public access in order to have IFTTT integration, which creates a security risk. That security risk would be alleviated if the API allowed to play with enabling/disabling notifications.
kiboost wrote: Maybe Netatmo have not enough API users to think it is important. When myself, think even for a few users, this is something very important for interoperability and some 'advanced' users who just want more from their product. Go figure...

Several different people use this custom API for a month now without problems, myself I use it everyday to enable/disable notifications automatically, no more need to go into the app.
Sure, prioritizing a feature by its ROI is a necessary duty, but I doubt the amount of work to be unsustainable in a short period of time for a big company like Netatmo. Here, all the infrastructure is in place (including the scope), and they just have to hook the target to accept that scope. Of course, there could be some security concerns and valid testing phases with QA to consider, but nothing really hard or long to achieve from an user perspective.

I see that as an easy win for Netatmo that would help them to be seen as caring to their customers.

Patate

Post by Patate » 25 Apr 2017, 15:37

Asked the Netatmo support team to know why the endpoints were not public and the answer went back :
Merci d’avoir contacté le support API Netatmo.
Le scope write_pressence et les fonctionilté sont en cours de developement,
il seront disponible tres prochainement.
je vous remercie pour votre patience et je vous souhaite une agréable journée.
Merci.
Translated somehow into "write_presence scope and features (sic.) are currently work in progress, will be available very soon".

Please note the use of future tense :-)

Return to “Netatmo API”