Rain data confusion

The Netatmo API is a set of webservices allowing developers and third parties to access Netatmo device's data.
will

Rain data confusion

Post by will » 25 Sep 2017, 16:16

Bonjour,

The dashboard data API (https://dev.netatmo.com/resources/techn ... ationsdata) returns three rain keys: sum_rain_24 (cumulative rain total since midnight), sum_rain_1 (total rain since this hour), and Rain. What is the timeframe of Rain?

Code: Select all

u'rain': {u'sum_rain_24': 5.0721732157177, 'rf_status': 64, 'When': 1506323033, u'Rain': 0, 'battery_vp': 5712, u'sum_rain_1': 0}
The data shown for rain amounts is different on a) the API b) the web app c) when downloading the CSV from the web app. I find it impossible to work out which one is correct. I want to store the hourly amount of rain in my database, in a script run every hour, but the value of Rain in the API doesn't compare with sum_rain_24 at all either...

Advice welcomed!

Merci

Will

will

Re: Rain data confusion

Post by will » 29 Sep 2017, 11:43

I've tried to highlight the issues in this Google sheet. These measurements were taken today via a cron script run every 30mins.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

1) The sum of sum_rain_1 doesn't equal the max of sum_rain_24. In other words, the amount of rainfall by hour isn't matching the cumulative rainfall by day
2) "Rain" in the API - don't know what this is. Bears no relation to anything obvious, but would love to find out.

I would love to hear from a Netatmo developer on this - it's probably just documentation that is required. For example, are the readings for sum_rain_1 (hourly rainfall) calculated at a fixed time (from 00:00:00 to 00:59:59, or another period?)

Thanks

Will

BriacB

Post by BriacB » 10 Oct 2017, 09:58

Hi Will,

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Here are further explanations.

"time_utc" is the timestamp when data was measured
"Rain" reading correspond to the last measurement seen. It basically tells you if rain was seen at "time_utc"
"sum_rain_1" correspond rain accumulation measured within the hour prior to time_utc. (period : time_utc - 1 hour)
"sum_rain_24" correspond rain accumulation measured within the 24 hours prior to time_utc. (period : time_utc - 24 hours)

I hope this helps. If not let me know.

Thanks!

Briac

berland

Post by berland » 11 Oct 2017, 15:32

What is then the unit for the "Rain" reading at time_utc? There must be some time period associated to it, I assume either cumulative since last data point, or pr. hour or some other fixed period.

Return to “Netatmo API”