Compatibility of rechargable batteries

schmaker

Compatibility of rechargable batteries

Post by schmaker » 22 May 2019, 20:05

Hello there,

i have replaced valve batteries with rechargable ones. Everything seems to work well except for reported battery level (even fully charged shows maximum 75%) and battery life is horrible (1 month approx.)

Do we need firmware fix maybe or anybody has good working batteries that are rechargable?

HurdyGurdy

Re: Compatibility of rechargable batteries

Post by HurdyGurdy » 09 Jun 2019, 15:15

Trust me , even without using rechargeable batteries, battery life is abysmal. Valves report empty battery when voltage drops below 1.45v on a standard 1.5v AA, even after applying the alleged strip sent out to fix this

mhaga

Re: Compatibility of rechargable batteries

Post by mhaga » 10 Jun 2019, 10:03

Hi,
What kind of rechargeable batteries are you using?
Normally rechargeable batteries have a slightly lower terminal voltage from the start. About 1,2 volts compared to 1,5 volt on alkaline and even higer, 1,8 volt on lithium metal.
Even if rechargeable batteries fits and have the same measures as AA, AAA and so on, they are different in the terminal voltage and can not necessarily be used.
I have read somewhere that rechargeable batteries are not recommended on the valve thermostats, but I cannot find where I read it. In my experience, the valve thermostats are very sensitive on battery voltage. Not only for the indicator but also functional. I have had a lot of trouble with the valves and that they did not close completely and the best solution I have found on this so far, is to use lithium metal type of batteries.
All problems went away and the battery indicator have reported 100% full batteries since I started using them. 16. January 2019. Almost 6 months now.
If you are struggling with issues related to batteries, I can recommend using lithium metal type of batteries. They are a little more expensive, but it made a huge difference to me and my setup.

BR
/mhaga

Return to “General questions”