why do we need a thermostat at all

orlincho

why do we need a thermostat at all

Post by orlincho » 06 Nov 2018, 15:34

Hello,

I'm still looking for the proper set of devices I need.
According to NETATMO for my system of radiators and a gas boiler I need a Thermostat + Smart Valves.
But I'm still wondering why do we need a thermostat at all. NETATMO sells a set of valves + relay without thermostat to be used with central heating. and In theory Valves are one that decide if they need heat and can communicate directly to relay which can control the boiler. Then what is the job of thermostat? Internet control smartness is inside relay, may be thermostat contains PID/Prediction smartness but all this can be simply put in the cloud if not in the valves themselves or in a relay.

In my opinion thermostat is useless peace of puzzle.

Any reasonable ideas why do we need thermostat at all?

GEORGzer

Re: why do we need a thermostat at all

Post by GEORGzer » 06 Nov 2018, 16:42

The Relais that comes with the Valve Starter-Kit is different from the one that comes with the Thermostat and isn't capable of controlling a boiler.
Home:Weather Station (V3 + Rain Gauge, Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules), Valves Starter Pack + 5 additional Valves, Smart Video Doorbell
Office: Thermostat (V2), Healthy Home Coach, Smart Smoke Alarm

Not a Netatmo employee

stanikuz

Post by stanikuz » 12 Nov 2018, 16:04

orlincho wrote:Hello,

I'm still looking for the proper set of devices I need.
According to NETATMO for my system of radiators and a gas boiler I need a Thermostat + Smart Valves.
But I'm still wondering why do we need a thermostat at all. NETATMO sells a set of valves + relay without thermostat to be used with central heating. and In theory Valves are one that decide if they need heat and can communicate directly to relay which can control the boiler. Then what is the job of thermostat? Internet control smartness is inside relay, may be thermostat contains PID/Prediction smartness but all this can be simply put in the cloud if not in the valves themselves or in a relay.

In my opinion thermostat is useless peace of puzzle.

Any reasonable ideas why do we need thermostat at all?
If you agree with your boiler turned on always even all valves are closed, then you could buy relay and valves only (without thermostat).
I hope, you'll not agreee with it.
Stan Kuznetsov
Weather: 2x Weather Stations + 6x Indoor Modules + 2x Rain + 2x Wind Gauges + 1x Home Coach
Security: 2x Welcome + 2x Presence Cameras + 3x Smoke Alarms + 3x Door/Window Sensors
Energy: 4x Smart Valves with Relay + 1x Thermostat with Relay

orlincho

Post by orlincho » 12 Nov 2018, 19:58

stanikuz wrote: If you agree with your boiler turned on always even all valves are closed, then you could buy relay and valves only (without thermostat).
I hope, you'll not agree with it.
For sure Stan,
My point is that if you have valves, there is nothing a thermostat can do for you if system is properly engineered. For example when you have a smart valves in the thermostat room a thermostat does not control temperature. it only relays info to relay, same job done only by relay in the other "no thermostat" option. For me this was done intentionally for profit and then justified by initial product thermostat design.

Probably we can skip Thermostat by adding some third-party relay controlled by IFTTT.

stanikuz

Post by stanikuz » 12 Nov 2018, 20:26

I supposed that you have clarified. However design of this ecosystem provides two possible ways for controlling of boiler:
- via relay module (it is what you mean)
or
- via display module that called as “Thermostat” because it have thermo sensor inside.

If you have wired control with your boiler and you don’t want to dig inside of your boiler then you should use second way: the thermostat module installs instead of the wired remote sensor and control, so the Netatmo Thermostat module will turn on and off your boiler.
So, your vision is good for only first way of connecting: control your boiler by relay.
Stan Kuznetsov
Weather: 2x Weather Stations + 6x Indoor Modules + 2x Rain + 2x Wind Gauges + 1x Home Coach
Security: 2x Welcome + 2x Presence Cameras + 3x Smoke Alarms + 3x Door/Window Sensors
Energy: 4x Smart Valves with Relay + 1x Thermostat with Relay

Return to “General questions”