Valves not closed

Ric75

Re: Valves not closed

Post by Ric75 » 21 Nov 2018, 22:15

mdillmann wrote:No sun here these days.

Radiator is hot, due to valve not closing. I had this last year, it mostly worked for the old FW, but FW 73 that was applied yesterday basically broke it completely.

I've been to all those WD40 recommendations. I saw in the French forum to take out batteries and run a calibration. I did this and it fixed things until the valve needed to open again and consequently failed to close at 16:00:
Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-21 um 17.37.39.JPG
"Good" news is, that after that exercise the valve seems to be only open 30% as the radiator is not hot but warm. But still it raises temp in the room.

I wanted to wait for support before I act, but - as expected - no reaction on their side.

-Markus

Completely confirm the behaviour similar to mine. Battery removal and recalibration helps sometime for some hours, but the day/night after some valve (randomly ) are open a litlle again just to warm the radiator ( and the heating is confirmed by the chart)
I have a ticket open too. I have documented all this issues with screenshots n the ticket. I'm in contact with technicians of the support and I'm sure they are working to fix this issue.
I think that the most we document this issue in the ticket and here in the forum thay will solve it soon.

biboun

Post by biboun » 22 Nov 2018, 12:13

Hi, is the faulty valve in the same room as the thermostat ?

mdillmann

Post by mdillmann » 23 Nov 2018, 10:25

No thermostat in use here, just the valves.

And the FW before 73 that I had was quite OK. No overheating during the last weeks, only after upgrade to FW73 the problems re-appeared again (from last year)
Relais: 70: ee: 50: 0e: 92: 3e (v197)
Ventile: o00a4a1 o00ac0b o00854d o006c0b(did go bananas) o007a51 o01cf3f (v73)

mdillmann

Post by mdillmann » 23 Nov 2018, 10:34

stanikuz wrote: Did you try to exchage Netatmo valves between each other (and then make corresponding changes in the configuration)? By this way you could understand where problem is: in certain Netatmo's valve or in certain radiator's valve.
The is the valve that used to work in my office without problems last year. It is definately an issue of combination of Netatmo with that specfic valve-body.
The radiator and valve-body are new (installed autumn 2017) and shortly after I get the Netamos when they were available.

I posted a lot in this forum, provided evidence, had tickets open providing make+model of that valve-body to support.
And it worked quite well.
But I admit that the issue is not easy to track down as it sometimes happens, sometimes not. And I have been unable to track down the exact circumstances under which the bug happens. Not helping is, that the valves are "closed", so there is no real possibility for an enduser to get to the underlying debug-data of the valve

-Markus
Relais: 70: ee: 50: 0e: 92: 3e (v197)
Ventile: o00a4a1 o00ac0b o00854d o006c0b(did go bananas) o007a51 o01cf3f (v73)

mhaga

Post by mhaga » 04 Feb 2019, 19:50

Hi,
Anyone still having problems with the valves not closing?

I had this problem frequently on my valves. All of them (4), until I some weeks ago investigated the inside of the valve thermostats by studying the "teardown" done by another member of the forum and by checking out the stepper motor.

My experience at this time was that the problem surfaced after some time since I last changed batteries.
At this point I used only alkaline type of batteries. I wondered if the problem could be the discharge curve of alkaline batteries and the decreasing terminal voltage that caused the problem.
About two weeks ago I replaced the batteries with lithium-metal based batteries. (Energizer Ultimate Lithium(sorry for this, but not meant as advertising)). I took out the batteries of all my valve thermostats at the same time and replaced them one by one. The valve thermostats recalibrated by themselves after some minutes, without me doing anything, and after this my valves have operated perfectly.

I don't know if the batteries has anything to do with it, but so far this looks good.
These batteries are expensive, but I wanted to test them anyways, since they also last longer and are more powerful.
I will update this post after 2-3 more weeks, but so far it is looking really good. All my valves are operated daily now, as it is cold outside and none of the have failed so far.
Don't know if this is something that Netatmo will recommend, so replace at own risk. The terminal voltage is the same as regular AA alkaline batteries, so I don't think they can harm anything but you have to decide for yourselves.

Maybe something worth trying, if some of you still having problems and you have some of these batteries laying around.
Usually used in cameras, but also recommended for sensors and measurment equipment. They also handle cold very well, so could be a good alternative for the outdoor sensor for the Netatmo weather station. Again use them at own risk.I will write Netatmo support after some more weeks and ask if they have any objections on using lithium-metal type of batteries. Maybe they can make a comment here as well...

BR
mhaga

biboun

Post by biboun » 04 Feb 2019, 20:06

Do you know netatmo was providing contact stickers to enhance the conductivity of the metal piece that contacts both batteries?
They send it for free, it is supposed to help contact and prevent early discharge.

mhaga

Post by mhaga » 04 Feb 2019, 20:15

Yes. Did not change anything for me. I got them and have them installed on all valves thermostats. Problem still persists, until now...

BR
mhaga

Ric75

Post by Ric75 » 05 Feb 2019, 00:23

mhaga wrote: My experience at this time was that the problem surfaced after some time since I last changed batteries.
At this point I used only alkaline type of batteries. I wondered if the problem could be the discharge curve of alkaline batteries and the decreasing terminal voltage that caused the problem.
About two weeks ago I replaced the batteries with lithium-metal based batteries. (Energizer Ultimate Lithium(sorry for this, but not meant as advertising)). I took out the batteries of all my valve thermostats at the same time and replaced them one by one. The valve thermostats recalibrated by themselves after some minutes, without me doing anything, and after this my valves have operated perfectly.
I had your same impression. I bought and installed beginning of january lithium AA batteries in one room replacing alcaline ones and now the valve works fine since a month.
I have the same problem in the bathroom valve where there are old alcaline batteries inside ( one year old and the indicator says near 50% charged). I have decided now to replace in this radiator too the batteries with the lithium one (I bought a 16 pack for sales on the web for Christmas). Removed alcaline batteries have a voltage of 1,335v , so near end of life even if the web indicator said it was 50% full.
I will keep you updated too in the next week if everything is fine with this radiator .
All the other radiator are working fine with alcaline batteries, but I just replaced the batteries in december with new alcaline one so I will wait before replacing with lithium ones.

mhaga

Post by mhaga » 05 Feb 2019, 23:17

Good!
Keep us updated. Many things pointing in direction of a problem with the power supply on the valve thermostats.
I guess the contact stickers, which everyone can get for free from Netatmo, are not made for fun.
Very sad that there are no further explanations behind this.
We still don't know if it is the ability to keep terminal voltage during load or if it is the better ability to deliver higher current that makes the difference. It might be both.
Lithium-metal type of batteries are better at both, so if this is the case, they will reduce the symptoms at least.

Anyways, let be constructive in the forum and share our experience. The lithium batteries are not that expensive. If they make the valve thermostats operate better, at least it is an affordable solution compared to replacing the system.

I will get back by the end of the month with my experience so far. Good to hear that others are on the same track.

BR
mhaga

Ric75

Post by Ric75 » 16 Feb 2019, 02:47

I confirm you that since two weeks ago when I changed the batteries with new lithium ones, the valve issue disappeared. No heathing without request from the valve anymore.

Return to “General questions”