[Heatium] Quick overview of rooms' temperature history.

jc999

[Heatium] Quick overview of rooms' temperature history.

Post by jc999 » 22 Jan 2019, 17:10

Last update: 12/03/2019
Hello everybody,

I posted a message on the French valves' board that could interest some Netatmo users over here as well...

https://forum.netatmo.com/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=15387

( I was not in the mood to retype everything in English, so I gave a try with google translate and the result is … not so bad ;-) )

Since my first tests of valves last year, I found the Netatmo application quite compelling to check what had happened (regarding the heat ;-) ) in each room having the valves. If it is perfect for the real-time moment, and the history 'by room', it lacks a global and fast "day" overview of all rooms, at once.
As I didn't want to for Netatmo make it (if...), I did it myself last year.

If I created the application for me, I make it public, it could interest more than one ...

Here it is. Heatium. (Http://www.heatium.eu)

A presentation video (30 seconds, a simple screen recording... ): https://heatium.eu/video.php

The main functions of the application are:
- Quickly display all temperature curves related to an account (one or more relays).
- Include the heating periods of each room, consolidated in a 'scrollable' graph.
- The application is optimized for smartphone => I recommend adding it to the "homescreen".
- works under IOS and Android (although it is quite slow on my 'old' oneplus ...).
- All in a secure way with web standards (HTTPS / SSL) and Netatmo (OAuth).

A little 'help':
On this screenshot, there are 2 types of 'part'. "Active" and "passive" parts.
Active (first 4) being parts containing either a thermostat and / or Netatmo valves.
The passive (last 3) are the pieces in which are located the sensors of the Netatmo station.

Past data:
- The temperatures in the circles are the temperatures recorded at the time when the center line is on the graph.
- The temperatures in the upper rectangles are the setpoint temperatures at this time.
- The small orange dot (eg Salon and Office in the first screenshot) means the room is warming up at this time. Netatmo does not provide the information of the type of heating request (manual / auto).
- In the graph: Each vertical orange zone represents the 'warming up' state of the boiler. The darker the orange color, the more rooms are in demand for heating at that time.

Current data:
- The temperatures above the names are the current temperatures, except for the "passive" rooms only the temperature passed (at the time of the central line of the graph) is displayed.
- The dashed outer ring means the room is warming up now. (orange: on planning, red: manually requested) (mmm yes ... it was not hot in the office when I started this post ... ;-))

Detailed data:

- Clicking on a part filters the other curves and displays its setpoint temperatures. Several pieces can be selected.
- The color strokes of the room in the upper part of the curve is the heating intensity (this corresponds to the vertical bars of the Netatmo app).
- It allows among other things the comparisons of curves (in this example, we see the difference between the readings of the thermostat, and the valves which are in the same physical part, but 2 virtual parts The location of the valves is not the ideal because they poorly capture external heat sources.)

Some information about my installation to understand the graph of this post:
- I put the thermostat (Thermo) in a separate virtual room to have the heating information of the living room via Netatmo valves. Netatmo does not return a heating history for the room in which the thermostat is located.
- "IN" is the base of the weather station, so Thermo and IN are in the same physical room at home ... and therefore show the same values. The valves of the show are in "Salon".
- (We see on the first graph that the valve body bathroom is to replace, it heats without stopping when the boiler turns ...)

The graphic
The graph thus shows the aggregated and consolidated data of the temperatures recorded, the set temperatures, and the periods of operation of the boiler. Netatmo updates the data every 15 minutes, see 1 hour for the thermostat. (Their spec announces 1 hour, but in reality, it's less ...). Heatium does not extrapolate the missing temperatures at the end of the graph (I'm not guessing ;-)), but will display the horizontal curves corresponding to the last temperature read. These curves are updated as soon as Netatmo returns the actual data.

What the application does:
- Reading of the Netatmo thermostat data + valves, per piece.
- Reading data from the Netatmo station (for interior rooms).
- The outside temperatures of the station are not displayed.
- All parts containing at least one valve or thermostat are displayed. Even if they are in several buildings (several relays) but on the same account.

What it's supposed to do, that worked last year, and that does not work anymore:
- to increase the temperature of a room or all the rooms by one degree compared to the current temperature, or by a degree compared to the 'comfort' temperature (by pressing a room on a smartphone). But the new official application Netatmo can do it recently, so I do not dwell on it anymore ...
- As the graph is displayed in the past (scroll), load the necessary data. Currently, only the last 2-3 days are displayed at the moment.

Limitations
- The room in which the thermostat is located does not return any heating statistics. This is a limitation of what Netatmo provides ...
- Only the daily view is implemented, even if the weekly / monthly / annual buttons are present ...
- An offline mode is not planned (and would not serve anything in the problem that Heatium tries to solve ...)

First connection:
The application (your browser therefore) is not yet linked to your netatmo account. You have to press the "NETATMO Login" button which will open the netatmo identification page. Once Netatmo validates the account data, the application will simply display the data.
Remember to add to the "homescreen", it is much easier to restart afterwards.
At each reopening, the data is updated.

Buttons
The upper right button displays the "about" screen of the first access to the application, or if the application is not connected with netatmo.
The button "erase data and authentication" below the video, resets the app, allowing to restart the login procedure in case of problems with the application ... it will pass through Netatmo authentication to re -authorize your session to read your data. The few data stored in the browser are erased as well.

The 3 buttons at the bottom of the application are:
Update: Updates the data. There is a delay to not overload servers netatmo, max 2 per minute ...
Refresh: erases all data received from Netatmo and reloads the latest available (2-3 days).
Scale: The scale of the graph is either fixed on the min and max temperature range received from Netatmo, or the min / max temperatures displayed at this time (auto) (the auto mode is not necessarily practical ...)

FAQ
- What is the 'N' that turns at times in the upper left? It is displayed when there is a connection going to Netatmo ... And the round that turns, it's just because I found it beautiful ...

Known issues:
First, there is no problem. Only features ;-)
Joking aside..
- a double touch on the graph displays all temperature data, not just the requested date window. to reset the graph, you have to click on the 'D' to reset the zoom correctly.
- it is not really a problem as such, but Netatmo limits the number of accesses via its API, by user, and by application. At each refresh of the data, Heatium generates as much query as the number of pieces you have (everything is super optimized timing level, so it does not show ;-)). If there are too many queries, the little 'N' in the upper left corner will keep spinning, there is a connection error to the Netatmo servers. The best is to wait qq minutes, and restart the browser or application (homescreen) ...
Because of this limitation, it is possible that I add a limit per user to not penalize other users (and myself ;-))

A few comments:
- No private or personal information is requested, transferred or saved to the cloud. I insist: you encode your 'login / pass' data directly on Netatmo's servers and they do not pass through Heatium at all.
- It's free. I did it for me ... and I think it might interest others ... I look at my graphs at least 15 times a day (which is why I recommend the 'add to homescreen' ...), if Heatium helps to facilitate the daily lives of other users, so much the better: - )
- It's voluntary, and I have a job next, so little time ... ;-)
- I still have some desire for improvements (display a date in the past, a config to hide parts, sort the parts, change the colors by the user, ...) but ... see previous remark .. . ;-)

This application is in no way supported by or linked to Netatmo. But it only works with Netatmo products.

It is tested and developed under OSX / chrome & safari for IOS / safari, and tested under android / chrome (an 'old' oneplusX, with not top top perfs ...) ... All browsers having been updated.

If you have any comments or questions, do not hesitate ;-)

Enjoy,
JC

jc999

Re: [Heatium] Quick overview of rooms' temperature history.

Post by jc999 » 12 Mar 2019, 21:57

Hello,
The 'add to homescreen' is really not super user-friendly. I released a version that Apple just validated on the appstore.
Available here: Heatium

Return to “General questions”