Two Valves in One Room

vicpinar

Two Valves in One Room

Post by vicpinar » 21 Jan 2020, 17:57

Hello,

I have two valves in the same room.

I just want to know whether there is a difference in working algorithm in the case where two seperate rooms defined in the app and each valve is added to each room and in the case where two valves are added to the same.

Thanks.

GEORGzer

Re: Two Valves in One Room

Post by GEORGzer » 21 Jan 2020, 19:48

Topic moved to the correct forum.

If you have them in the same virtual room then they will „appear as one“.
They will be synched in all actions and the algorithm will calculate this room using both sensors, which in my experience leads to better results.
Home:Weather Station (V3 + Rain Gauge, Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules), Valves Starter Pack + 5 additional Valves, Smart Video Doorbell
Office: Thermostat (V2), Healthy Home Coach, Smart Smoke Alarm

Not a Netatmo employee

Tommaso Florino

Post by Tommaso Florino » 21 Jan 2020, 20:56

correct, but I do not completely endorse that, and everything is related on how temperature is measured and corrected on valves. Many problems could arise : 1.The software is not perfect (see posts on temperature stuck) and in a single room the lowest reading is considered as real temp, not the average. so this combination is not good.
2) correction of True Temperature is memorized on the valve (may be) but also influenced by the virtual room. I arrived at this conclusion with this test: created a new virtual room, move a valve in the app in the new room ->temperature reading changes immediately. move back the valve in the original room-> temp reading roll back to previous value. So: how does the software correct temperature reading of 2 valves in the same room if they need different correction due to position and radiator characteristics?
3) due to the above is better to leave 2 valves in 2 virtual room, in this way you might have 2 different programs and behaviour that you could leverage as workaround to a not perfect software.
my personal opinion.
regards

GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer » 21 Jan 2020, 21:06

All I can say is that I have rooms with single valves and one with 3 + weather station modules as reference.
And the room with the 3 valves is heated the most accurate.

Your valve immediately changing its reading when you add it to a room with other valves is kind of the point. The then shown temperature is calculated as the average between all valves since this is most likely the temperature in the middle of the room.
Also a single valve showing the "real temperature" isn't quiet right either, since the point of the algorithm is to predict the amount of heat needed to achieve the set temperature in the middle of the room. That's why you have to define the room type, as the average size of a common bedroom, bath and so on is taken into account for that.

And yes, it's nowhere near perfect but if you read reviews of other systems, none of them are :P
More temperature sensors actually mean less calculation.

But everybody has to decide how they want to use this system. If you want to have different heating schedules and settings, then 2 virtual rooms is the way to go.
Home:Weather Station (V3 + Rain Gauge, Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules), Valves Starter Pack + 5 additional Valves, Smart Video Doorbell

Not a Netatmo employee

Tommaso Florino

Post by Tommaso Florino » 21 Jan 2020, 22:19

good to know that average temp is displayed and used.sometimes ago and somewhere here ,someone said that lowest reading was used for the room (and this was considered wrong by me).
about algorithm, I didn't mean the PID but the algorithm that tries to correct the influence on the radiator , i.e. the one that balance the reading of the 2 internal sensors of the valve. that algorithm is really a mess and should not be influenced by the room. and I very well know that competitors are not really better on this with exception of the ones combining external sensors (many on the market now) , luckly for Netatmo but not for us (the customers). on this point ,a Netatmo supporter, will not make any discount.the product was invented to make savings, comfort and optimize heating usage, 90%of this targets are not reachable with imprecise (and not reliable) temperature reading! it is a must! but this is a little bit O.T.

GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer » 21 Jan 2020, 22:29

Indeed ;)

Not a Netatmo employee

Return to “General questions”