Communication issue

tomo360

Communication issue

Post by tomo360 » 07 Sep 2017, 19:54

Hi

I have netatmo thermostat and it works great with my gas boiler. I just bought netatmo valve, and its almost perfect. The problem is with wireless range. I have 1 room, where I cant reach relay with valve. I cant move relay, because obviously it is in room with boiler. So, what should I do? I bought 1 valve to test it and wanted to install this in every room. I heard that there are systems, where one device can be transmitter to another. As I understand from netatmo faq page, valves communicate only with relay. If its true, I think its some kind of misconception. My home is only 100m2 - 2 floors and I have problems with range, what about bigger houses, 150m2 or 200m2? I dont know person, who is building a house with the boiler in living room. Boiler is always at the edge of house, so rooms on opposite edge, will always have problems with range.

Brieuc_Netatmo

Re: Communication issue

Post by Brieuc_Netatmo » 08 Sep 2017, 14:43

Hi,
I understand your situation...
The Smart Valves do not communicate by a mesh radio network. They can only be paired to the relay.
In your specific case, I see two options:
- extend the wires of the boiler adaptor, to be able to place the relay closer to the center of your house,
- install the Thermostat wired to the boiler, and plug the relay to an outlet in the middle of your house.
Please let us know should you need more details.
Brieuc - Netatmo Team

tomo360

Post by tomo360 » 08 Sep 2017, 18:05

Brieuc - but this solution, is no solution. If I want to move relay, I have to drill in walls - and netatmo valves for this price should be "plug and play device". Everyone waited long time for this product, and now, it has no use in big houses - especially in Europe, where most houses are building in concrete or brick system . Maybe the solution will be an extra device that can be transmitter from far away valves to relay. Something that looks good and can be put on shelf. I think that you will get more and more this kind of signals from disappointed users.

olihaeg

Post by olihaeg » 09 Sep 2017, 09:04

I checked the signal quality by moving the thermostat temporarily to the place where I wanted to replace the valves to see if the range fits.
We have one of these european 200qm houses and just replaced 2 of the valves. For one of them the range is at its limit. By changing the angle of the relay and mounting it a few cm from its original position made it work.
Making the valves work like the Philips Hue Lamps where every lamp is also a bridge is a very clever idea and would solve the range problems.
Tomo360 is absolutely correct when talking about upcoming problems. There will be many more users without detailed technical understanding who just want the valves to be working.

tomo360

Post by tomo360 » 09 Sep 2017, 18:41

olihaeg wrote:I checked the signal quality by moving the thermostat temporarily to the place where I wanted to replace the valves to see if the range fits.
We have one of these european 200qm houses and just replaced 2 of the valves. For one of them the range is at its limit. By changing the angle of the relay and mounting it a few cm from its original position made it work.
olihaeg - thanks for your advice. I also changed the angle of the relay, and I got connection. Its only 1 line on scale (dont know this is correct word for range), but its working. I hope it will be enough, and it will not lost the reach.

alexph

Post by alexph » 21 Sep 2017, 12:52

I, yes I have just walked into the same problem with a 4 bed bungalow of about 180sq m. I cannot get any signal from the bedroom area, and to move the relay from the boiler would require a lot of wire. I had assumed that the valves and the relay linked to each other via the home wifi, and talked to each other over that, but clearly not and need a direct link to each other. Not quite sure what to try. Might try placing the relay in the roof space and see if there is a point which allows the whole house to be covered.

I think that Netatmo might have missed a trick as I think range will be a problem for a lot of those people who care enough to want to install such kit

A

rado

Post by rado » 21 Sep 2017, 12:54

Well, the product does not work in my medium sized 110m2 flat.

So, it's probably good only for very small homes (which you do not need to micromanage at all).

Very dissapointing.

Netatmo will have to rething the technology, or at least offer "range extenders".

gkirstei

Post by gkirstei » 03 Oct 2017, 09:41

I have ~400m2 house and 9 valves. Some of them but not in particular order randomly disconnect and then after some time (~3-4h) reconnects back. That's kinda annoying. I do not have any problems with z-wave (868.42Mhz) network as nodes are working like repeaters of the signal like mesh network is working.
How often Netatmo valves are trying to reconnect to relay? If I reset them by taking out batteries, they usually finds connection. It would be nice if i could tweak some settings there.

Fa_St

Post by Fa_St » 03 Oct 2017, 10:14

Hello
Have the same problem for one valves of three installed in 2 different room.
The farthest one (only 5 meters and a 10cm wall in the middle) from the relay sometime lose the signal. A curtain can do the difference.
The valves in the heater near this have full signal.

So I think the problem is the poor signal quality of the transmitter inside the relay.
This problem is very hard to solve in a big house without installing many relays.

gkirstei

Post by gkirstei » 18 Dec 2017, 11:03

After latest firmware update everything started to work as it should. No more communication issues. Rooms temperature are kept according schedule also. No more issues for now. :D

Return to “General questions”