Suggestion: room based heating, not thermostat heating

rado

Suggestion: room based heating, not thermostat heating

Post by rado » 23 Sep 2017, 14:12

See the picture attached.

First room is the main room, with thermostat. Requested temperature is 21C, actual is 21C. Boiler is thus off.
At the bottom, room "Pracovna" has requested 21C, actual 20C, but the boiler is still OFF.

We need "per-room" heating.
Attachments
topeni.PNG

Mariuss

Re: Suggestion: room based heating, not thermostat heating

Post by Mariuss » 24 Sep 2017, 21:20

+1
Since the valve can remotely turn on the heater during manual input, all hardware requirements are met and this should be a firmware update only. To be honest I expected this feature to be one of the main requirements and woke up freezing cold as my bedroom valve didn't remotely turn on the heater :evil:

Fa_St

Post by Fa_St » 25 Sep 2017, 14:37

Dear friends,
Bad news!
Customer support says the valve's failure to turn on the boiler is wanted by Netatmo to allow customers to save on heating !!!

In this way, customers are forced to act manually taking into account the real need to heat up. :D :) :o :( :cry:
Is this a joke?

I invite all of you to write to the customer service to communicate the problem.
I ask for the refund!

rado

Post by rado » 25 Sep 2017, 14:40

Hm, that is very bad news.

This must be solved. E.g. my bathroom, I want it heated in the evening to 23C, while living room stays at 21C and bedroom at 20C (and 19C for the night).

By no means I will manually adjust the temperature every day for the bathroom..

Anybody would expect that bathroom will get heated by the schedule, not by repeated manual interventions.

Brieuc_Netatmo

Post by Brieuc_Netatmo » 25 Sep 2017, 18:41

Hi all,

For the time being, the Smart Radiator Valves can only activate heating production through the Thermostat when a Manual Boost is carried out from the Valve or from the application.

The Thermostat cannot activate the heating when a valve asks for heating according to the established weekly schedule. This behaviour is perfectly normal, because we decided that the Valves, for energy saving purpose, could not switch on the boiler themselves when they were following the schedule.
The Valves are able to communicate with each other to direct the flow of hot water to the rooms that need it (Auto-Balance function, more information here: https://www.netatmo.com/product/energy/valves/faq).

However, given the number of requests we have received on this subject, we will implement a new option in the next few days, which will allow you to choose between 2 operating modes:
• Valves can automatically activate the heating production following the schedule, even if the room where the Thermostat is placed does not need to be heated.
• Valves cannot turn ON the boiler automatically following the planning, they act as a temperature limiter. This is the default behaviour of an installation with classic thermostatic valves. To turn ON the boiler, a Manual Boost would have to be done on the Valve.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Brieuc - Netatmo Team

rado

Post by rado » 25 Sep 2017, 19:16

Wonderful, waiting for it! :-)

Fa_St

Post by Fa_St » 25 Sep 2017, 19:59

Brieuc_Netatmo wrote: For the time being, the Smart Radiator Valves can only activate heating production through the Thermostat when a Manual Boost is carried out from the Valve or from the application.

The Thermostat cannot activate the heating when a valve asks for heating according to the established weekly schedule. This behaviour is perfectly normal, because we decided that the Valves, for energy saving purpose, could not switch on the boiler themselves when they were following the schedule.
Thank you very much for your message.
I already answered you by email, so don't want to repeat myself.
Mistake can happen. Support have to solve! That is

But please don't said that is perfectly normal!
What would happen if there is a fireplace in the thermostat room? We freeze in the rest of the house?
If the reason is energy saving purpose, why the room whit the thermostat don't follow the same rule? Switch on the boiler only when the last room (also with valves) with the lower temperature have reached the set point, for example.

But is not the point, is simply a mistake by thinking about residential heating plant.
For a house with a boiler the valves simply don't work actually, without your fix.
I seriously waiting for the repair/upgrade before ask for the return.

Best regards

Brieuc_Netatmo

Post by Brieuc_Netatmo » 26 Sep 2017, 09:52

Hi,
It is "normal" in the way that every other thermostatic radiator valve on the market has the same behaviour.
They are only designed to limit the hot water circulation in the radiators and cannot activate the heat production.
Our Valves are able to activate the heating through the Thermostat when a Manual Boost is applied, it's already a great improvement.
We thought that it would be the best way to save energy and to provide a great level of comfort, but now thanks to your feedback we are also convinced that we have to let you choose which is the best behaviour for your specific situation.
I'm sure you will get satisfaction from the new feature to come very soon.
Thank you for your patience, have a nice day!
Brieuc - Netatmo Team

rado

Post by rado » 26 Sep 2017, 10:05

@Brieuc_Netatmo » Well, in this case some customers will be motivated to purchase smart valves for *all* their radiators, so it is win-win situation :)

Btw, when you have e.g. 8 radiators, 7 of them will be closed via valves, only one opened, would you be able to calculate "advaced heating" predictions per-room? Using main thermostat w/ Weather station for measuring external temperatures and using "Advanced heating algorithm" saved me about 30% on gas, while maintaning great comfort.

Now valves will add even more comfort, possibly also another savings (although probably not that fast), but rooms like bathroom have *very different thermal characteristics*. Can "Advanced heating algorithm" cope with that?

Brieuc_Netatmo

Post by Brieuc_Netatmo » 26 Sep 2017, 10:59

rado wrote:Now valves will add even more comfort, possibly also another savings (although probably not that fast), but rooms like bathroom have *very different thermal characteristics*. Can "Advanced heating algorithm" cope with that?
Sure :-)
Brieuc - Netatmo Team

Return to “General questions”