Valves not closing after a few days

mhaga

Re: Valves not closing after a few days

Post by mhaga »

Hi Luca,

Keep us updated on the result of swapping the Netatmo termostat.
I got two FW updates now. First the one to termostat FW v.50. This worked pretty well. Then the v.51 and it got a little worse again. That said, I only have two out of four termostat/valves that are having this problem. It can be the valve itself, that are out of spec.
My problematic valves seem to have very short operating range on the valve itself. I think the spec stroke on the valves are 4mm from fully open to fully close.
However, I think it is weird that the termostat sometimes can close the valves and sometimes not. How this is possible on a mechanical valve is beyond me, but I'm not a plumber or engineer on this field, so i really don't know. Anyways, Your test can at least tell if it is the termostat or the valves. The valves can bee worn over time if your water is contaminated or have particles it should not have. They are not very expensive to replace, but most of us would need a plumber to do this and it would be good to know if this really is the problem, before starting such work.

/mhaga
lucadiielsi

Post by lucadiielsi »

Hi mhaga,

As you can see from the snapshot attached, unfortunately, even swapping two thermostats did not change anything: I still have problems in the kitchen. The valves are quite new, so I hope it's not their fault (as you suggest!) otherwise I will have to wait for spring when the central heating system will be switched off, to replace them. I did not hear from the Netatmo service anymore (last mail is 10 days ago), so I decided to buy thermostats from another brand, and return the Netatmo.

I'll keep you up-to-date!

Luca
Attachments
Cattura.PNG
NeilF

Post by NeilF »

lucadiielsi wrote:Hi mhaga,

As you can see from the snapshot attached, unfortunately, even swapping two thermostats did not change anything: I still have problems in the kitchen. The valves are quite new, so I hope it's not their fault (as you suggest!) otherwise I will have to wait for spring when the central heating system will be switched off, to replace them. I did not hear from the Netatmo service anymore (last mail is 10 days ago), so I decided to buy thermostats from another brand, and return the Netatmo.

Luca
So you changed the valve, and you continued to have the same sort of issue? I wonder if quite simply if there is a mechanical limitation/issue?

If you compare the two radiator valves in question, are they different? ie: Could it be the one in the kitchen is causing the Netamo valves a problem?

Good luck with the new ones... I nearly bought some of these over X-mas... Glad I didn't now!
Brieuc_Netatmo

Post by Brieuc_Netatmo »

Luca
Hi,
Is the Valve exposed to direct sunlight? Is it placed closed to a oven or any other heat producing device?
Brieuc - Netatmo Team
lucadiielsi

Post by lucadiielsi »

Hi Brieuc,

yes, as I mentioned in the first e-mail I wrote to Netatmo help center a month ago (3 january!!! and since then you have not been able to fix my problem, and all the energy savings I hoped to achieve was wasted) the valvle was exposed to direct sunlight. But Cheikh, the guy who followed my case and replied to the e-mail, never told me that this could have been a problem. Actually, the thermal rise was not due to the sun, because the radiator was very hot (I touched it!).

NeilF, I switch the thermostat I had installed in the kitchen with the one I had in the living room radiator, and nothing changed. I'll let you know how it will go with those of the new brand.

Luca
Brieuc_Netatmo

Post by Brieuc_Netatmo »

Hi Luca,
Thank you for that clarification.
I am not able to know the history of your ticket if you don't share it with me :-)
If the radiator is hot, the Valve is indeed not closed.
Could you please share the reference of the valve body and the Netatmo adpator you've used to install the Valve?
Brieuc - Netatmo Team
lucadiielsi

Post by lucadiielsi »

Brieuc,

I sent you a PM but I didn't understand if I sent it right!

Luca
mhaga

Post by mhaga »

NeilF wrote:

Luca
So you changed the valve, and you continued to have the same sort of issue? I wonder if quite simply if there is a mechanical limitation/issue?

If you compare the two radiator valves in question, are they different? ie: Could it be the one in the kitchen is causing the Netamo valves a problem?

Good luck with the new ones... I nearly bought some of these over X-mas... Glad I didn't now!
Hi all,
I understand that you have replaced the thermostat on your kitchen, which was problematic, with another thermostat from another radiator that are working fine. Is this correct?
If problem still persist in your kitchen, even with a different Netatmo thermostat, problem is most likely the valve. At least by my logic.
Not that it is broken, but operating a little different. I also have 2 thermostats with problems and 1 other, that works perfectly. Same valve type on these 3 radiators. In addition, I have one that is of another brand, also working perfectly.
Worn valves is not uncommon, but I still don’t understand how it can work one day and not another...

Best regards
/mhaga
lucadiielsi

Post by lucadiielsi »

Hi mhaga,

yes, it is correct. And the strange thing is actually what you said at the end: why some times it worked and other times it didn't?

In the meantime, I bought a new system of smart thermostats (from a competitor brand), and in the kitchen the new thermostat works fine (it managed to keep the valve closed all day long yesterday). So the valvle works fine.

This morning I decided to give the last chance to Netatmo thermostat, and I re-installed the smart thermostat on the kitchen radiator. At this point, I have the doubt that the problem was that the thermostat was not tight enough around the adapter on the valvle. But it would still be weired, because the calibration always worked fine, and there were times when the valvle was fully closed!

Honestly I hope to be able to solve my situation and to stay with Netatmo (the competitor I'm trying doesn't excite me...), but I am not satisfied at all with the assistance because it is very slow and poorly knowledgeable.

And you? Do you still have problems now or the Netatmo service was able to fix them?

Luca
whnagel

Post by whnagel »

New firmware and it lowered the overheating. Only 2 degrees!
And the valves are still not closing fully

Pictures are from zone2 no heating request necessary during over 12 hours. Because valves does not close.
F70FF29F-C170-41F7-9860-197E0C3B5370.png
Attachments
3D4C495E-FBF4-418B-8ED5-174945954055.png

Return to “General questions”