Valve a bit unscrewed

Ric75

Valve a bit unscrewed

Post by Ric75 » 09 Nov 2017, 10:52

I have found some valves a bit unscrewed from adaptor. Not too much usncrewed but a bit.
I have installed them one month ago and I'm sure I have tighten them on the adaptor with the correct force. They were solidly linked to the radiator.
I have M30x1.5 adaptor. The adaptor was correctly in place. Only the metal ring was a bit unscrewed from adaptor allowing valves to shake a bit.
So I turn the metal ring harder and now they are again solidly linked to radiator. I then run calibration manually to be sure the pin was working fine.

Does someone experienced this ?
Should I check the ring and adaptor weekly/monthly?

capicar

Re: Valve a bit unscrewed

Post by capicar » 22 Nov 2017, 15:15

I found my valve detached! This is because ring adaptor, despite declared full compatibility with my valve (Caleffi). It does not fit well
I wrote to tehnical support but still no answer.

Brieuc_Netatmo

Post by Brieuc_Netatmo » 22 Nov 2017, 16:22

capicar wrote:I found my valve detached! This is because ring adaptor, despite declared full compatibility with my valve (Caleffi). It does not fit well
I wrote to tehnical support but still no answer.
Hello,
Could you please provide us with few photos?
Especially, could you please show us the valve body and which adaptor was used?
Brieuc - Netatmo Team

capicar

Post by capicar » 22 Nov 2017, 16:42

Thank you for your very fast reply. It's very appreciated!
My valve is a Caleffi, series 220 or 401 (not sure), see attached picture. The adaptor is M30 (not remember if 1 or 1,5) that fit plastic Caleffi ring
Original thermostatic is Caleffi, series 199
Pratically plastic adaptor, probably due heat, does not remain attached strongly to Caleffi plastic ring. I cannot manually change temperature because of it
Attachments
IMG_3761.JPG

gianze

Post by gianze » 22 Nov 2017, 22:08

Hi all, I recently installed Netatmo radiator valves to caleffi as well and I had same problems I guess.
Here my experience hoping can help someone.
I think that as the plastic ring from caleffi is designed to have a M30x1.5 when mounted (it is an "open" ring), it is not so precise. The Netatmo adaptor is M30x1.5 inside and something a bit more (not that much) outside thus the forces between the faces of the threads deform the threads of the caleffi ring and of the Netatmo adaptor and avoid the Netatmo radiator valve to be tighten.
My "solution" was as follows: enlarge the caleffi valve with teflon tape (as the one used to avoid leakage) before mounting the ring. thus the ring will have a M30x1.5 that will be actually a bit more. Than the Netatmo adaptor will tight very well. Finally the Netamo radiator valve will tight as well.
Don't worry. It worked to me very well.
Before I couldn't tight at all. I even found the Netatmo radiator valve on the floor. After this trick I could even tight it with wrench.
I hope the explanation was clear

capicar

Post by capicar » 22 Nov 2017, 22:36

Thank you for your tip!
I just had a first email feedback from support in the meanwhile.
But I'm going now to seal the ring with teflon tape and I'll let you know the result.
Only now Im' realizing the problem is due to the "opened" ring. Maybe this small opening could be even filled with something hard, as a small plastic piece, so it does became less flexible

capicar

Post by capicar » 23 Nov 2017, 19:31

Here we are!
I just mounted again the unit and it is now more tight as before, but it is still not so hardly tight as you say. But I prefer to don't touch it more now.
Anyway please do you remember how many teflon tape turns did you use?
I suggest Netatmo to add this additional action as part of standard installation instructions for such kind of valves .
Eventually thank you very much because you are really solving my problem in a very easy way!

gianze

Post by gianze » 27 Nov 2017, 22:38

Actually I do not remember but I did it several times. Maybe even 10 or so. In my opinion I wouldn’t suggest to write this in the manual but I would think to add a special adapter in the box to mount the netatmo valve directly to the caleffi valve in order to avoid several adapters one over each other and also to avoid the problem that if you are not substituting an old thermostatic head with a smart one, but you are just mounting the smart one as first, you do not have the caleffi plastic ring and it is not easy to find it...
Anyway in case of need just tell me. I’ll be happy to help

capicar

Post by capicar » 28 Nov 2017, 08:19

I’m back again about this argument
I strongly suggest Netatmo team finding a final solution about Caleffi valves. They are one of italian market leaders
It’s clear the best solution is to create a specific designed adapter
Anyway after a week I suddenly found again my valve detached on the floor!
So this time I added a piece af electrical tape, it’s more thick, around Caleffi ring
It is now more stable and I could use a wrench for thigthin it
Let’s wait again before saying it could be the final solution. Thank you for forum users support

Brieuc_Netatmo

Post by Brieuc_Netatmo » 28 Nov 2017, 10:20

Dear all,
We really want to find a solution for the Caleffi valve bodies.
If you wish to help us find a solution, which could be the production of a new dedicated adaptor, could you please share few photos of your valve bodies, "naked" (without any valve or adaptor)?
2 photos should be enough for each valve body:
- one where the diameter can be seen
- another one of the side, to see the global length
The aim is to be able to measure the diameter and the length, and especially the thread size.
Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Brieuc - Netatmo Team

Return to “General questions”