Do I need thermostat also?

JTT

Do I need thermostat also?

Post by JTT » 12 Dec 2017, 23:30

I have a normal gas boiler with an electronic control panel to turn on central heating at certain times of day etc. pretty standard.

I also have standard thermostatic rad valves in every room.

I'd like to replace with Netatmo smart valves, as i have Welcome and Presence cameras and generally happy.

Few questions:-

Are they any good/ do they work well?
Do i need the Netatmo thermostat aswell, or do they work on their own? I don't know why I'd need it?
Do I need the thermostat for geofencing etc?

thx

GEORGzer

Re: Do I need thermostat also?

Post by GEORGzer » 13 Dec 2017, 00:08

Quick answers:

Yes they do with the latest firmware.
Yes, plus additional valves (no valve starter-kit required since the Relais comes with the Thermostat)
No.
Last edited by GEORGzer on 13 Dec 2017, 11:02, edited 2 times in total.
Home:
Weather Station (Rain Gauge, Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules)
2 Valves + Relais (Starter Pack), 5 additional Valves

Office:
Thermostat + Relais (1. Generation)
Healthy Home Coach

risodv

Post by risodv » 13 Dec 2017, 08:42

If you want to turn your boiler on and off depending on valves requests you need to have Thermostat, relay and valves. Look on netatmo web for more information.

You dont need thermostat when your home is connected to central heating.

JTT

Post by JTT » 13 Dec 2017, 11:42

risodv wrote:
You dont need thermostat when your home is connected to central heating.
Hi thx. What do you mean by this last statement pls?

I don’t have any thermostat today. Just TRV’s and the heating come in at 6am and goes off at 11pm. It regulates the heating by using the TRV’s in every room.

What I’d like is geofencing so I’m not heating an empty house and be able to leave heating on all day and night and regulate the temperature at night to 18 or something and then in day to 23 or dependant by room etc

I’m not clear in this scenario what the role of the netatmo thermostat is?

Thx

risodv

Post by risodv » 13 Dec 2017, 14:42

Hi,
in my view central heating is when there is pipe with hot water connected to your home. External company is heating water and pump it to many homes or flats.
In this scenario valves works like programable TRVs, only restrict flow of hot water into radiator.
Oposite, when you home is connected to cold water source, you have to heat water yourself with your boiler. Than, you can turn your boiler on and off with Netatmo relay with thermostat and valves only when is needed. You dont have to heat water when there is no request for heating from room valves. Valves can turn your boiler on when room needs to be heated and turn your boiler off when is requested temperature reached.

JTT

Post by JTT » 13 Dec 2017, 18:09

risodv wrote:Hi,
in my view central heating is when there is pipe with hot water connected to your home. External company is heating water and pump it to many homes or flats.
In this scenario valves works like programable TRVs, only restrict flow of hot water into radiator.
Oposite, when you home is connected to cold water source, you have to heat water yourself with your boiler. Than, you can turn your boiler on and off with Netatmo relay with thermostat and valves only when is needed. You dont have to heat water when there is no request for heating from room valves. Valves can turn your boiler on when room needs to be heated and turn your boiler off when is requested temperature reached.
Ok I have cold water feed and boiler.

So I need a netatmo thermostat for the netatmo valves to work?

I can’t just replace my TRV with netatmo valves and valve starter kit (has this been discontinued?)

GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer » 13 Dec 2017, 20:12

Depends, you say you don‘t have a Thermostat. So what is controlling the Boiler right now?
Does it has its own controlpannel where you program the timed schedule?

If so, you may check if your Boiler also supports an external Switch/Thermostat.
If that‘s the case, you can wire the Relais to it and from there, you boiler will only run if heat is requested.

Now I assumed you don‘t need a Thermostat to controlle a Boiler, since the Valve Starter-Kit also comes with a Relais.
But perhaps that one can‘t be wired to a Boiler. I‘m not sure right now, that’s why I changed my answer in my first post.
I own both, installed in 2 seperate places, and the Valve-Relais didn‘t come with an „open-end“ cable, so.... :?

In my opinion you can‘t do nothing wrong with buying the Thermostat and additional Valves for every room.
That is, if your Boiler can be controlled by it.

You‘ll also need Valves in the room where you‘re going to place the thermostat, so other rooms can be heated seperatly from that one.
Home:

Office:
Healthy Home Coach

JTT

Post by JTT » 13 Dec 2017, 21:57

GEORGzer wrote:Depends, you say you don‘t have a Thermostat. So what is controlling the Boiler right now?
Does it has its own controlpannel where you program the timed schedule?
Yes exactly

GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer » 13 Dec 2017, 22:39

Then I recommend to check the manual if a Thermostat can be connected. But I'm pretty sure this will be possible.

Take a look here:
https://www.netatmo.com/en-GB/product/energy/valves/faq

It actually answers all your questions (available in mutual languages, switch at the bottom of the webpage).

Also I was right, you need a Thermostat and its Relais to control a Boiler, the Valve-Starter-Kit Relais is not capable of such.
Home:

Office:
Healthy Home Coach

Return to “General questions”