Relay try connection just one time ?

This forum provides technical help on how to set up Netatmo Thermostat Wifi connection.
raf

Relay try connection just one time ?

Post by raf »

Hi,

I have 2 Thermostat in a new house and I have a problem.

I must say that I have a router quite slow during start up, it take about 3 minutes.

The problem is this, sometimes to put a new lamp in a room or to manage the electric line in the house I have to turn off the electricity, when I turn on electricity the two relais don't connect again to the router.

I have to take them off from the power line than put in and they work again.

I think that the relais don't try to connect enough time to let the router be available.

Could be possible ?

Thanks a lot

Raffaele
Brieuc_Netatmo

Re: Relay try connection just one time ?

Post by Brieuc_Netatmo »

Hello,
Usually, you have nothing to do to reconnect the Thermostat after a connection loss.
Just keep in mind that it could take an hour for the relay to reconnect to your router.
How long did you wait?
Brieuc - Netatmo Team
raf

Post by raf »

Hello,
I waited 2 days the first time and many hours all other times.
Ciao
Raffaele
Brieuc_Netatmo

Post by Brieuc_Netatmo »

Hi,
I suggest that you try to attribute a static IP to the relay of the Thermostat, it should help.
You can also open port 25050 (TCP/UDP).
Do you have any other Wi-Fi device that is not reconnecting after the connection loss?
What is the brand and exact model name of your router? Is it running with its latest firmware update available?
Brieuc - Netatmo Team
raf

Post by raf »

Hi,
the router is a d-link DWR921 with a connection 4G, the firmware seems to be the latest 17/09/2014.
I attribuited a static IP for both the thermostats, now studying to open the port (this should not be the problem I think).

A question: the thermostat software has a loop the try to connect until it is connected to a router ? (let me say, try very often in the first 10 minutes after a restart and after this period try each hour for example, this could resolve in my opinion)

Ciao
Raffaele
Florent

Post by Florent »

Hello,

The thermostat tries to connect to the configured router every minute during the first hour after a reboot, then every 5 minutes until the connection succeeds.

When the problem occurs, could you have a look at the "Status" page of the administration console of your router:
- check if the thermostat appears in the the "LAN computers" and/or "Wireless" sections (its MAC address starts with 70-EE-50)
- check the "Log" section if there is any error or unusual message
(See pages 64, 65 and 67 of the user manual http://www.dlink.com/-/media/Consumer_P ... _02_WW.pdf)
Florent - Netatmo
raf

Post by raf »

Hello,

problem still present. Today there was a blackout in my village.

Checked log on my router and no information found about unusual message about connection or other connection error
After the blackout and router startup the two mac addresses were not present in the list of LAN until I 'reboot' the relais.

What can I try ?

Ciao

Raffaele
Brieuc_Netatmo

Post by Brieuc_Netatmo »

Hello,
It looks like there is a bug in your router, it's not normal that the MAC addresses don't appear.
Please try to plug it on a UPS to avoid such inconvenience in the future, and report the bug to D-Link.
Brieuc - Netatmo Team
raf

Post by raf »

Both routers ? (I have two)

Strange

Thks a lot

Raffaele
TypeC

Post by TypeC »

You only mentioned one router type. If they are both the same, with the same firmware revision, then, "Yes, both routers": a bug in one will certainly be in the other.

Having said this, although it must be incredibly difficult for Netatmo to support all routers (most of which they cannot test) it does seem to me strange to be so sure that it's a bug in D-Link's router, without providing any reason for that, especially if your other devices reconnect okay after a power loss. I'd describe it as an "incompatibility" between the two devices and I'd expect both companies to put some effort into sorting the problem out!

In particular, if the relay is connecting consistently after it has been power cycled, but not when the router is power cycled, it looks like the relay's behaviour for reconnection is different in each circumstance which might be worth some investigation...

Return to “Thermostat Network Set-up”