increase range of outdoor unit

This forum provides technical help on how to set up Netatmo Weather Stations for the first time.
zsoltmag

increase range of outdoor unit

Post by zsoltmag »

In my case all is working fine except that the outdoor unit which I use to measure temperature in the basement is losing connection every now and then, or better to say, it connects every now and then, most of the time it does not manage to connect.
The two units are maybe 5 meters away but I guess the steel in the concrete is interfering with the range.
Anyway, is there a way to extend the transmission range of the outdoor unit or improve the reception of the indoor unit? Both units are in rain/wind protected area so I do not mind having a piece of wire plugged in somewhere, just tell me if it is possible and how.

Thanks in advance,
Zsolt
Matze

Re: increase range of outdoor unit

Post by Matze »

This was also requested several time in the past year.

The only answer I got from support was that I should put my outdoor unit closer to the indoor unit, which would mean closer to the wall of our house...

Of course not the best solution.
zsoltmag

Post by zsoltmag »

Thanks Matze, I guess this is something you try before you write a post like this...but I guess they have no better answer, shame they do not put some more effort in replies.
Sendy_Netatmo

Post by Sendy_Netatmo »

Hi,

Actually, you can try another thing, it could work, but we can't guarantee it : you can purchase a 868 MHz repeater, it is a litlle device which "amplify" the 868 Mhz frequency, this frequency is used by modules to communicate with the station.
Matze

Post by Matze »

Hi,

Thanks for this info.
How should this work in detail?
I am no expert, sorry.

Where to put the repeater and how to install?

Thanks
Sendy_Netatmo

Post by Sendy_Netatmo »

Hi,

It works like an amplifier, you have to locate where you loose the connection (how far away from the station) and install it in this place. Basically, it simply needs a power supply and it will detect the 868 Mhz coming from the station and the module and will permit to amplify to win more distance.

Anyway, I insist to say that it is just an idea, an experiment is needed, and we can't guarantee the proper functioning for now.
morion

Post by morion »

Matze, did You use repeater for improoving radio signal? If yes, how it works now?
Regards
Matze

Post by Matze »

Hi,

I did not try it as I still do not understand how to do it.
Maybe someone else has now experience or did try this "experiment".
Ranfu

Post by Ranfu »

You might try putting something metallic (any kine of sheet of metal, possibly concave like a parabolic reflector) on the side opposite that of the main station to reflect that portion of the transmitted signal that would otherwise be wasted propagating away from the receiver in the main indoor unit.
tloreto

Post by tloreto »

Hi
I have actually available an 868 MHz repeater for testing

But in order to progress I would need some indication on how to trigger a module transmission in order for the repeater to learn it

I tried unplugging and plugging batteries to have green light flashing but I couldn't get any signal repeated on the repeater

Any hints would be appreciated
Thanks

Return to “Setting up my Weather Station”