Anemometer Update!

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Stoffiss

Re: Anemometer Update!

Post by Stoffiss »

elraj wrote:
Stoffiss wrote:I ordered my anemometer from the German Netatmo shop last Sunday (2 days ago) with shipping to Sweden. I recieved an order confirmation, but I haven't recieved an email that the parcel has been sent yet. How long did it take for your parcels to get shipped and did you receive a shipping notification?
I received the shipping notification 3 days after I ordered.
Thanks!
My devices
Netatmo Weather Station // Indoor module v119 // Outdoor module v43 // Add. indoor module v43 x2 // Rain gauge v8 // Wind gauge v14
xon

Post by xon »

You guys....

After a week of using I am just very disappointed about the performance of Anemometer. Compared to my old fashioned plastic wind meter of my 10 year old wireless weather stations the readings are the readings are just not good enough. This is not a post to complain but to discuss this subject. Maybe I see something wrong? Maybe I am doing something wrong? Maybe I got a fault model etc etc

What I noticed:

- The wind direction is not accurate at all especially (!) with low wind speeds.
- The wind speed is +/- 100% less then other weather station in the neighborhood.

Of course, I don't expect that the speed and direction are 100% accurate (comparing to professional weather station). But this is just a laugh!

To visualize it I made a picture. Upper left you see the weather station nearby. upper right the position of my anemometer and on the bottom my data of the anemometer. As you can see..max (real) windspeeds are +/- 70km/h.

Click to enlarge:

Stoffiss

Post by Stoffiss »

xon wrote:You guys....

After a week of using I am just very disappointed about the performance of Anemometer. Compared to my old fashioned plastic wind meter of my 10 year old wireless weather stations the readings are the readings are just not good enough. This is not a post to complain but to discuss this subject. Maybe I see something wrong? Maybe I am doing something wrong? Maybe I got a fault model etc etc

What I noticed:

- The wind direction is not accurate at all especially (!) with low wind speeds.
- The wind speed is +/- 100% less then other weather station in the neighborhood.

Of course, I don't expect that the speed and direction are 100% accurate (comparing to professional weather station). But this is just a laugh!

To visualize it I made a picture. Upper left you see the weather station nearby. upper right the position of my anemometer and on the bottom my data of the anemometer. As you can see..max (real) windspeeds are +/- 70km/h.

Click to enlarge:

-
Last edited by Stoffiss on 25 Nov 2015, 19:44, edited 2 times in total.
My devices
Netatmo Weather Station // Indoor module v119 // Outdoor module v43 // Add. indoor module v43 x2 // Rain gauge v8 // Wind gauge v14
flappah

Post by flappah »

Agreed, this is a bit worrying. Did you compare your own values with a different windmeter you own? It would be easier when you compare your own values to another windmeter at your own location than trying to compare it to a nearby station. I'm almost tempted to buy another (handheld) windmeter just to compare my values.
Right now my own wind meter also reports considerably lower values than nearby stations but the two I'm comparing with are located right at sea with unobstructed views. Mine on the other hand is situated in the middle of a built-up area.
I do imagine Netatmo can correct this with a firmware update. It is a matter of how they interpret the data from the sensors.
xon

Post by xon »

Two weeks ago I had an "normal" windmeter at the same location . Those readings were much more accurate than the readings from Netatmo.

They can update the firmware of the base station but I guess it's more difficult to update the firmware for the anemometer. You have to establish a Bluetooth connection and thats a bit difficult for me on the roof :-)
Stoffiss

Post by Stoffiss »

xon wrote:Two weeks ago I had an "normal" windmeter at the same location . Those readings were much more accurate than the readings from Netatmo.

They can update the firmware of the base station but I guess it's more difficult to update the firmware for the anemometer. You have to establish a Bluetooth connection and thats a bit difficult for me on the roof :-)
Yeah, but they actually can update the different modules wirelessly aswell :) I don't know how it's actually done, but when the base station is updated the different modules (outdoor, rain, wind, indoor) fetch the latest firmware version (according to Netatmo this process takes several hours). So I guess they could fix this somehow, don't know how they're gonna make a good fix though.. :/
My devices
flappah

Post by flappah »

Hmm .. valid point. Admittedly I haven't got a clue about their architecture and how they distribute firmware updates. I more or less assumed they distributed firmware over the RF connection they use to communicate with the remote sensors but now you mention it, the RF connection doesn't necessarily have to be two way. And in that case you're right. Updating the wind meter will be a bit difficult. I can retrieve mine if I like since I've got it on a 3 meter high pole on the other side of the patio where it sticks about 30cm above the closest roof. If necessary I can retrieve the sensor in a few minutes. But when it's on the roof that'll be a bit harder indeed.

Edit:
Ah, Stoffiss beat me to the punch. They *can* distribute firmware updates to the remote sensors.
elraj

Post by elraj »

Ref. my previous post some days ago. I have two weather stations in my yard, including the one from Netatmo, and so far the Netatmo anemometer is pretty spot on compared to the readings from my other station. For both wind direction and speed that is.

Having said that, maximum gust at my location during the 6 days I have had the Netatmo anemometer is 30 km/h. Perhaps things will change in stronger wind...

Anyways, the negative feedbacks from other users are a bit worrying. I guess there must be a reason for the very long delay on the anemometer releasment date. Perhaps some of you guys now are finding out why...
flappah

Post by flappah »

Stoffiss wrote:
xon wrote:Two weeks ago I had an "normal" windmeter at the same location . Those readings were much more accurate than the readings from Netatmo.

Yeah, but they actually can update the different modules wirelessly aswell :) I don't know how it's actually done, but when the base station is updated the different modules (outdoor, rain, wind, indoor) fetch the latest firmware version (according to Netatmo this process takes several hours). So I guess they could fix this somehow, don't know how they're gonna make a good fix though.. :/
Well, regarding a fix, I was thinking about correcting my own values when I'm communicating data to the Uk Metoffice's Wow project. I've got this java program running on a Raspberry Pi and I already changed it so it can transfer the windspeeds (and -directions). If necessary I can correct the values. But for that I need to know with what constant to correct the values. Maybe I do need to buy me a handheld windspeed meter..
xon

Post by xon »

flappah wrote:
Stoffiss wrote:

Well, regarding a fix, I was thinking about correcting my own values when I'm communicating data to the Uk Metoffice's Wow project. I've got this java program running on a Raspberry Pi and I already changed it so it can transfer the windspeeds (and -directions). If necessary I can correct the values. But for that I need to know with what constant to correct the values. Maybe I do need to buy me a handheld windspeed meter..

Still..it's kinda bizarre don't you think, that you have to program something to let it work properly?

Maybe the pressure was so high after delaying the release of the device that it is not 100% tested.

Return to “General questions”