Is it worth buying?

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
jueti

Re: Is it worth buying?

Post by jueti »

No objection here, ldplusse.

Some of us here are disappointed because of the marketing bubble Netatmo has created which of course has significantly increased the expectation bias.

High rise, high fall I would say.

And don't forget they charge a price which elevates them into a "premium" category - in which some of us would expect a better customer support.

Expectations on fundamental qualities may vary by indivduum, and you can see from various comments here that criticism is spread among less than five topics.

A forum with honest feedback from experienced users who might bring in some of their professional expertise can trigger ideas for the Netatmo team to improve our cameras performance.

Fair criticism and information exchange is a chance, not a threat.
ldplusse

Post by ldplusse »

It cant speak about the support, as i have not used it my self.
But the support should be able to answer within one business day if you ask me. That is what i would expect.
ZyBeR

Post by ZyBeR »

Here is a snapshot from my current (5MP) camera, how is this quality compared to the Presence?
Example.jpg
jueti

Post by jueti »

Now this is what I call "stunning video quality", if I may use a sentence I have read on the Presence website ... ;-)

@ NETATMO admins
May I suggest your product managers and software engineers want to have a look at these kind of competitor products and do some market analysis ?
vojta66

Post by vojta66 »

+1
1Welcome(512), 9 tags (v58), 1Smart Smoke (v108),1Smart Siren (v209)
1 Weather Station(v181), Outdoor module (50),Rain Gauge(v12),Wind Gauge(v25),3 Indoor Modules (v51)
1Thermostat(v75+relay 2nd generation v222 + 5Valves (v85)
2Presence cameras(320)
Una Real

Post by Una Real »

Just have to caution that a frame grab is not the best way to judge video quality. It needs to be observed in motion. As one example, chances are that the still image on live view on your Presence looks much better before hitting play than what you'll see once it's in motion - even after the stream has stabilized.
Una Real

Post by Una Real »

Slim wrote:I have to say Una Real......This might be the review of the year!

A five star review :)
Thanks, Slim. Tried to be less sarcastic and cynical than some of my posts here. This is my place to vent and have a little fun at the same time. :)
vojta66

Post by vojta66 »

Una Real wrote:Just have to caution that a frame grab is not the best way to judge video quality. It needs to be observed in motion. As one example, chances are that the still image on live view on your Presence looks much better before hitting play than what you'll see once it's in motion - even after the stream has stabilized.
Exactly !
1Welcome(512), 9 tags (v58), 1Smart Smoke (v108),1Smart Siren (v209)
1 Weather Station(v181), Outdoor module (50),Rain Gauge(v12),Wind Gauge(v25),3 Indoor Modules (v51)
1Thermostat(v75+relay 2nd generation v222 + 5Valves (v85)
2Presence cameras(320)
jueti

Post by jueti »

Una Real wrote:Just have to caution that a frame grab is not the best way to judge video quality. It needs to be observed in motion. As one example, chances are that the still image on live view on your Presence looks much better before hitting play than what you'll see once it's in motion - even after the stream has stabilized.
Yeah, I know about i-frames and p-frames, pulldown cadences, judder, etc., but even from that still image here and the viewing distance to that building the amount of details is much better from what I am getting here with my Presence ...
Una Real

Post by Una Real »

jueti wrote:
Yeah, I know about i-frames and p-frames, pulldown cadences, judder, etc., but even from that still image here and the viewing distance to that building the amount of details is much better from what I am getting here with my Presence ...
Would have to agree with you on that. Should have taken the time to actually look at the image and comment on it instead of merely throwing the caution out there. It was meant as a comment in general. The amount of detail that can be seen (in the kitchen, for example) is vastly better than the Presence. It even holds up very well when scaled up.

Return to “General questions”