Valves not closing after a few days

mdillmann

Valves not closing after a few days

Post by mdillmann »

Hi,
I noticed that the valves do not close completely after a certain amount of time.

Running a calibrate seems to fix it temporarily, but after a few days the radiators are slightly warm even if the web/app show no heating at all happened the last hours.

Can this be fixed by adding the additional spacer for the pin into the valve ? Or perhaps the SW should run a calibrate after a few days automatically ?

Thanks,
-Markus
tuxbox

Re: Valves not closing after a few days

Post by tuxbox »

Perhaps (just an idea) netatmo could give some sort of valve-offset (additional to temp-offset calibration) like the eq3-Valves offer.
I have some old heaters not correctly responding and via this setting i give a constant extra or minus value for adjusting the valves position.
Would be great if this could also be handled via the smart valves.
Zib

Post by Zib »

mdillmann wrote:Hi,
I noticed that the valves do not close completely after a certain amount of time.

Running a calibrate seems to fix it temporarily, but after a few days the radiators are slightly warm even if the web/app show no heating at all happened the last hours.

Can this be fixed by adding the additional spacer for the pin into the valve ? Or perhaps the SW should run a calibrate after a few days automatically ?

Thanks,
-Markus
Hi Markus,

I posted this morning in the French forum about the same issue. I have mounted 3 valves on Saturday, located in the same room than the thermostat. Due to my house's floor space, I'm only using Netatmo products in the living room. All others radiators are managed by z-wave valves, allowing me to cover my full house while the Netatmo valves are very quickly out of range.

This morning, the living room has been heated as expected, but when the thermostat has taken the decision to stop heating (for a normal and good reason), the valves did not close and stayed open. The bad effect is that when my other z-wave valves have started the heater, my living room has continued to heat.... instead of stopping at 21.5° as expected, all the 3 valves and the thermostat were displaying 23°C... so the Netatmo components were all aware of a temperature overshoot, but none of them decided to close the valves.

I was thinking about a non-smart action of the valves, staying open to preserve batteries life... but your post lets me think that it may be a bug. Did you ever see the valves closed when the temperature has been reached?

I already tried to mount the additional spacers, but in that case, the radiators were not heating anymore. There is a simple test to see if the valves are able to fully operate on your radiators: put the temperature to 28°C and start a valve calibration. In my case, I can clearly hear that the valves are able to fully close by cutting totally the water flow. If I put the thermostat OFF, the valves also close accordingly.

Cheers,

Zib
Weather station: 70:ee:50:02:77:7a
Relay: 70:ee:50:03:47:3e (v207)
Thermostat: j033ed0 (v71)
Valve 1: o012036 (v80)
Valve 2: o12fd6e (v80)
Valve 3: o012031 (v80)
Valve 4: o011c3a (v80)
mdillmann

Post by mdillmann »

Hi Zib,
I think (better hope) that the smart valves react differently if attached to a thermostat or just the relay (as in my case).

In the Thermostat-Forum it was mentioned that it is normal, that valves do not close fully because the Thermostat switched off the heat source: https://forum.netatmo.com/viewtopic.php ... 238#p47041

I can understand that but I think that would need to be fully documented because it makes things difficult/impossible in some cases (like yours).

Valves attached only to a Relay, NEED to close fully as nothing switches off the heat source and not fully closed valves will continue to add heat into a room even if already above threshold.

As I wrote it looks like the valves close fully for some time after running a calibration. I will need to have monitor the valves during the coming days (currently we have really nice and warm weather here in Germany so no need for heating ...)

Thanks,
-Markus
Zib

Post by Zib »

Hi Markus,

OK, I will see if the calibration has to be done on a regular basis. I am not running the valves for a long time so I did not see the issue you have yet.

However, I did some tests tonight (posted in the french forum) and it seems that the valves are allowed to move (open or close) IF AND ONLY IF the thermostat is heating... So even if the valves have to close the radiators because the temperature in the room has been reached, this will happen only when the thermostat will start the heater again... which makes me crazy.

Zib
Weather station: 70:ee:50:02:77:7a
Relay: 70:ee:50:03:47:3e (v207)
Thermostat: j033ed0 (v71)
Valve 1: o012036 (v80)
Valve 2: o12fd6e (v80)
Valve 3: o012031 (v80)
Valve 4: o011c3a (v80)
Mariuss

Post by Mariuss »

I have the same problem, this needs to be fixed. It’s not saving money and it heats the room too much. I hope this behavior changes with the new firmware.
Universer

Post by Universer »

I have a similar problem.

A few days ago one of my valves opened. But the problem is, the temperature is good and it heats and heats. ...
Calibrating was the solution, problem solved in a second.
But today 5 Valves have opened by themselves, although the temperature was good. The valves were previously closed.

In a few days I go into vacation, do I need to calibrate every valve everyday to not carelessly heat my house?
mdillmann

Post by mdillmann »

Hi,
currently the valve in the bathroom is not closing fully. One can see in the screenshot that officially no heating occurs, but the temp stays up because the radiator is heating :roll:

I would really like to know what is causing this. As calibration fixes this, this means the valve thinks it is closed where in fact it isn't.

This needs to be resolved soon otherwise I will need to throw out the Netatmo-Valves :evil:

-Markus
Attachments
Screenshot-2017-10-26 Netatmo.png
mdillmann

Post by mdillmann »

Going back a few days, the valves did close (temperature decreased), but it fact they do not seem to open fully :twisted: because it takes 4 hrs to heat up the room 1 degree.

The behavior then was quite different to the graph of today. Today (see graph in my previous post) it heated up quite ok, but then the temp stayed there.

-Markus
Attachments
Screenshot-2017-10-26 Netatmo(1).png
Brieuc_Netatmo

Post by Brieuc_Netatmo »

Hi,
@mdillmann: could you please switch this Valve which seems to loose its calibration with another? My opinion is that the valve body might be defective, this is a simple test to do.
Please let us know the result of this test.
Brieuc - Netatmo Team

Return to “General questions”