Valves not closing after a few days

tdx79

Re: Valves not closing after a few days

Post by tdx79 »

HI Brieuc.

I was having same issue with brand new installation, I simply solved the issue by applying WD40 spray on the center pin of the valve (NOT on the NETATMO, which was of course removed before applying WD40). Also, manually pushing two or three times the pin after the WD40 helped too.

Fabio
mdillmann

Post by mdillmann »

HI Brieuc,
currently 3 out of my 4 valves do not close for sure occasionally. For the 4th I need to examine the behavior a bit longer before exchanging them. BUT: if that is really a mechanichal failure of 3 out of 4 devices ....

@Fabio: I did apply WD40 on the valve-pin (of the radiator) yesterday on ONE valve of the 2 failing in my living-room. I'll check the coming days if behavior of that single valve is better compared to the others in the same room and bathroom.

Thanks,
-Markus
mdillmann

Post by mdillmann »

@Fabio: one addition: initially all was fine with my setup too. The radiators all went cold when the room was heated properly.

The valves did not close fully after some days of operation and the radiators do not get cold completely. I tested by putting everything to "away-mode" and after few hrs only one radiator was cold. The others were warm (not really hot like if at 100%, more like the 10-20% range)

So you should check if that is the case with your valve(s) too.

Thanks,
-Markus
mdillmann

Post by mdillmann »

Status at 12:00 : desired temperatures met in all rooms since about 10:00

Bathroom: Valve more or less completely open, radiator fully warm
Livingroom: both valves mostly closed, radiators slightly warm up to half of radiator-height (so far WD40 on one valve made no difference compared to the other valve/radiator
Diningroom: valve fully closed, radiator cold

I now did put the house into away-mode (12 degrees) and will check in a few hours if radiator-temps change.

-Markus
mdillmann

Post by mdillmann »

Update:
Bathroom did not cool down, besides "away-mode". Calibration of that valve fixed it again.

Tomorrow an additional valve (intended for an additional room) will arrive. I'll mount that in the bathroom to check if anything changes.

Update will follow.

-Markus
borgeo

Post by borgeo »

Hi,

I´m having the same issue. Re-calbrate, and it seems good for a few days and then the valve will not close again. Re-calibration fixes the problem for a while.

The valve has firmware 43.

-Boerge
tomo360

Post by tomo360 »

The same issue - I think the problem is with apple home kit. I removed home kit from netatmo app, and now everything is fine.
Mariuss

Post by Mariuss »

Removing Home kit didn’t help in my case, one day after calibration, my bedroom got heated to 23 degrees with setpoint at 17 degrees :( I am more and more dissapointed with the valves even though I still love my Thermostat. I guess I understand why it took so long between announcement and actual release. It seems it’s still not a finished product...
Vanggaard

Post by Vanggaard »

I also have the problem where the vales does close as expected. It works perfect for a periode but then the valves stops closing 100% when the room temp is above the target temp. If I recalibrate the vales they works as expected again (for a periode).

All my valves are running firmware version 41.
mdillmann

Post by mdillmann »

Update: The brand new valve is acutally worse than the old one :twisted:

The old one seems to work OK currently in the office. Mounted in the bathroom, It took only a few days until it was not able anymore to close the completely.
The new one just takes one heating cycle (after calibration) to stay open at about 50-70.
Screenshot-2017-11-9 Netatmo.png
This morning it heated up and then the radiator kept being constantly warm and heating up the room (small ditch in the graph is when I opened the window and let in fresh air). Same info shown by Netatmo weater-station:
Screenshot-2017-11-9 weather.png
The raditor is new (installed this summer) and the valve/valve-head are Oventrop (I am trying to find out exact make&model).

For me it looks like Netamo-Valves can't consistently create enough force to close the valves. Based on the number of reports here this does not indicate individual valves failing but a general design-flaw.
Googling I found specs of competitor-products (like MAX Q3) claiming to apply at least 80N to the valve-pin.
Professional valve-motors from ABB http://www.knx-gebaeudesysteme.de/sto_g ... 5D0103.PDF (KNX-based, German datasheet) say they apply 100N for standard-valve-pins and if that force is not enough to close fully, they can go up to 120 Newton (page 29).

So what are the specs for the Netatmo-Valves ? Can the Firmware control/enhance the force that gets applied ? If not, that means Netatmo-Valves can't be reliably operated for all valves (even if they comply with EN215).

FW on all valves is 41

-Markus

Return to “General questions”